• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBMP Amp 92.3 in NYC becomes Alternative, could it happen here with Amp 103.3?

inorm99

Leading Participant
Today, it changed on the day ENTERCOM took over.
Even with, or especially with the presence of
WBOS "Alt 92.9, there is a void for alternative rock, and new music in Boston
With WBOS, having a god awful sad, playlist, and jockless most of the time, A strong, personality driven station to take over after the loss of WFNX, WBRU, and WBCN, is needed

Last edited:
Today, it changed on the day ENTERCOM took over.
Even with, or especially with the presence of
WBOS "Alt 92.9, there is a void for alternative rock, and new music in Boston
With WBOS, having a god awful sad, playlist, and jockless most of the time, A strong, personali th driven station to take over after the loss of WFNX, WBRU, and WBCN, is needed

104.1 is giving up their call letters WBMX to an Entercom station in Chicago.

Would Beasley give up the letters WBCN form North Carolina to 104.1 and WBOS become Hot AC?

Beasley sure isn't helping WBOS be alternative by adding the new garbage morning show from Detroit.

Last edited:
104.1 is giving up their call letters WBMX to an Entercom station in Chicago.

Would Beasley give up the letters WBCN form North Carolina to 104.1 and WBOS become Hot AC?
If that happens. You can bet on AMP 103.3 becoming ALT. 103.3, and with ENTERCOM in charge, it would certain be a better listen than than WBOS

Per the DOJ settlement, there will not be any frequency swaps happening with any of these stations, which has already been confirmed many times. Even with Entercom launching Alternative in two markets, I wouldn't necessarily count on Entercom launching Alternative in Boston, especially if there's already a similarly-branded station existing in the market.

Now this is just a hunch, but with all that is happening in other markets and Boston being somewhat affected, see a format change coming to either Amp or Mix. Both stations seem to do ok in the ratings though. I wonder what would be a bigger revenue pull than what they already have?

And Mix is personality driven and has very recently added new jingles as well! I'm not sure what edge Amp has, but they do not seem to be affecting Kiss 108's ratings at all.

Ent. added Magic.Do they want 3 stations in hugely female demo or do they change one?Magic won't go and certainly not till after Xma$$.

Ent. added Magic.Do they want 3 stations in hugely female demo or do they change one?Magic won't go and certainly not till after Xma$$.

It's not uncommon for a radio company to have a AC-Hot AC-CHR combo in a single market. iHeartMedia does have such combos in markets like Dallas and Los Angeles.

It's not uncommon for a radio company to have a AC-Hot AC-CHR combo in a single market. iHeartMedia does have such combos in markets like Dallas and Los Angeles.

Now while that might be true and it working in other cities, radio insiders seem to be pointing in a different direction here.

Now while that might be true and it working in other cities, radio insiders seem to be pointing in a different direction here.

Meanwhile, I'll continue watching out for more post-merger flips at Entercom. Although I have made some good post-merger flip predictions, I can't guarantee all of my predictions will come true.

I think one of the reasons for AMP to begin with was it knocked Kiss 108 down a bit so all the other CBS stations moved up a spot or two in the rankings. For a while there Kiss was down several notches from 1st place 12+ and AMP probably had something to do with that. With Entercom maybe that won't the same strategy.

I've long read posts about AMP being a failure but looking at a cluster based strategy it may have been doing exactly what they planned.

I think one of the reasons for AMP to begin with was it knocked Kiss 108 down a bit so all the other CBS stations moved up a spot or two in the rankings. For a while there Kiss was down several notches from 1st place 12+ and AMP probably had something to do with that. With Entercom maybe that won't the same strategy.

I've long read posts about AMP being a failure but looking at a cluster based strategy it may have been doing exactly what they planned.

After all, Entercom has managed to build a "wall of women" in Boston when they acquired Magic from Beasley.

The big question though is if Mix is going down if a different station is acquiring their call letters?

But could change the frequency..if they wanted to have WEEI emanate from top of the Pru, they could swap the freq and put Mix on 93.7.As has been mentioned, the calls were in Chicago before and stood for Black Music eXperience..diff calls could come to Mix, or a diff format but yes Ent. could keep all 3 female demo formats as is, or change one. And/or do a freq swap.

But could change the frequency..if they wanted to have WEEI emanate from top of the Pru, they could swap the freq and put Mix on 93.7.As has been mentioned, the calls were in Chicago before and stood for Black Music eXperience..diff calls could come to Mix, or a diff format but yes Ent. could keep all 3 female demo formats as is, or change one. And/or do a freq swap.

I suppose that 93.7 WEEI and Mix 104.1 could swap frequencies, but Entercom will probably want to park the WJMK calls somewhere. While I can't rule anything out at this time, we'll have to wait and see what changes will happen in Boston.

I suppose that 93.7 WEEI and Mix 104.1 could swap frequencies, but Entercom will probably want to park the WJMK calls somewhere. While I can't rule anything out at this time, we'll have to wait and see what changes will happen in Boston.

Why would Entercom care about the WJMK call, let alone look for a place to park it? Was it featured prominently in the Chicago station's positioning or was it ignored except for the legal ID? CBS parked WBCN because that Boston station was all about the call letters. Two generations of rock fans knew it as 'BCN. That's why CBS exiled the call to North Carolina, so no operator in the Boston area could capitalize on it. If classical WBCN (Boston Concert Network) had buried the call when it flipped to rock in 1968 and just called itself Rock 104 or whatever for the next 30 years, then the call would have had no residual value at all.

Last edited:
Why would Entercom care about the WJMK call, let alone look for a place to park it?

Not to mention that parking a call usually means stashing it on a graveyard AM in Paducah, Kentucky -- not putting it on one of the best signals in a top-10 market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom