• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Robert D. Raiford, of John Boy & Billy Show

Robert D. Raiford passed away at 89

One of Charlotte's most colorful personalities Robert D. Raiford passed away today. He was best known as the opinionated curmudgeon on the John Boy and Billy Show. There is an excellent article that cronicals his career in the Charlotte Observer. I never met the man but listened often. He was one of a kind. Who says that? I said that. You said it well Mr Raiford.

I first saw him on Channel 36 as their first news anchor back in the 1970s. I hope I got that right.

On "John Boy and Billy" he wasn't just in Charlotte.

One of Charlotte's most colorful personalities Robert D. Raiford passed away today. He was best known as the opinionated curmudgeon on the John Boy and Billy Show. There is an excellent article that cronicals his career in the Charlotte Observer. I never met the man but listened often. He was one of a kind. Who says that? I said that. You said it well Mr Raiford.

Yes very sad to hear of the passing of Robert D. Raiford. I met the man many times growing up in Concord. Always outspoken, he never shyed away from controversy and always spoke his mind in a friendly sort of way. He dislike media hype and hated the term "Metrolina," as he always thought Charlotte was "an overgrown redneck town." He worked at WTOP in Washington where he covered the JFK funeral, then later was fired from WBT after he refused to remain silent regarding racial issues which remain topical and relevant to this day. He was one of the original news anchors at Channel 36, now WCNC-TV where he also hosted a call in talk show. And for the past 30 years he was most famous as the resident curmudgeon and news commentator on the John Boy and Billy Show, originating from WRFX-FM, 99.7 the Fox in Charlotte. He remained active and fit until 2 years ago when he suffered a stroke in 2015 at the age of 87. He appeared on Matlock with Andy Griffith and enjoyed jumping out of airplanes and riding his Harley-Davidson motorcycle. He was a smart, intellectual man but could be happy preaching to the crowd at the Waffle House, as John Boy noted. Sorry to hear of his passing, as he was one of a kind and lived a full, active life. But as Mark Washburn noted, as Raiford would want him to say, he did not "go on to his rewards." However, sorry to report the unhyped fact that Robert D. Raiford is indeed now deceased. And he will be missed.

One of Charlotte's most colorful personalities Robert D. Raiford passed away today. He was best known as the opinionated curmudgeon on the John Boy and Billy Show. There is an excellent article that cronicals his career in the Charlotte Observer.
I won't be reading it. I kept it.

I probably should look at it online to improve his Wikipedia article.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom