• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

104.3 from Classic Hits to Classic Hip-Hop

Unfortunately, good creative people lost their jobs but that is the industry and comes at no real surprise.

Frankly, my surprise has been that so many seem surprised by the flip. Last time in Chicago after the Entercom/CBS deal was announced. Said to my wife, as the K-hits signal faded while we drove out of town, "that's the last time you'll hear them."

Here's hoping that Jams, like a few others, can be the format exception where the rule seems to be a fairly short shelf life. RIP 93.9 The Beat Indianapolis.

As said, I've lost jobs and gained jobs with a format change.

But...

Never going to apologize for offering a little sympathy to a couple of now unemployed friends. Just like radio can occasionally be, "it's just business" is BS. When humans are involved, it's never just...

Ahhhh the ol' "urban music sucks" bit. It doesn't get old.

There are 4 other stations to choose from. It won't be hard finding a replacement.

1) I'm glad it doesn't get old.

2) And now there are 4 stations playing Urban/hip-hop/top40 like formats... B96, V-103, Kiss-FM, and WGCI. You'll argue some of those don't play the same genre, but that is much like the argument that WSHE and KHit's weren't playing the identical format either! And certainly 87.7 ME TV FM (which if you're like me up in Elgin, I can't get it), doesn't play the same stuff as KHit's did.

You can call it 5 if you want to stretch it and add WTMX into the, ahem, "mix", as they do touch upon the fringes of this. AND then you can add a couple more if you want to add on suburban fringe stations like WXLC in Lake County, Star 96.7 in the Joliet area and Star 105.5 up in the NW suburbs. Much like the Mix, they'll play the more popular middle of the road "urban" artists if it's a popular song.

3) Then when you go on to say that WJMK wasn't doing too well so it is smart for Entercom to do this, here are the October 30th ratings;

WSHE-FM = 2.9
WLS-FM = 2.8
WJMK- FM = 2.4

WJMK's ratings were fairly consistent, in the 2's for several past books.

2) And now there are 4 stations playing Urban/hip-hop/top40 like formats... B96, V-103, Kiss-FM, and WGCI. You'll argue some of those don't play the same genre, but that is much like the argument that WSHE and KHit's weren't playing the identical format either! And certainly 87.7 ME TV FM (which if you're like me up in Elgin, I can't get it), doesn't play the same stuff as KHit's did.

WGCI is Urban, while WVAZ is Urban AC. As different as CHR and AC.

B-96 used to be a more rhythmic, Hispanic targeted CHR. Now, there is much less difference and Nielsen BDS classifies both as straight-ahead CHR.

You can call it 5 if you want to stretch it and add WTMX into the, ahem, "mix", as they do touch upon the fringes of this.

While they share music with the two CHR stations, WTMX is a Hot AC station and is significantly different from all of the other 4.

3) Then when you go on to say that WJMK wasn't doing too well so it is smart for Entercom to do this, here are the October 30th ratings;

WSHE-FM = 2.9
WLS-FM = 2.8
WJMK- FM = 2.4

WJMK's ratings were fairly consistent, in the 2's for several past books.

WSHE is up in the top 10 in 25-54, while WLS-FM and WJMK were tied for 16th with WLEY. In other words, neither of the two classic hits stations were doing well. (I am looking at a 3-month rolling average, like the buyers generally do. Looking at individual books is a very dangerous practice)

Again, you can lay out the exact terminology differences in their particular formats, MUCH like KHits, WSHE, WLS, 87.7 METV FM, all have their nuances in format. At the end of the day though, much like B96, V-103, Kiss-FM, and WGCI for the most part all sound the same to me, as KHits sounds the same as SHE to someone else...

If the other "classic hits" station isn't doing well either, you'd think Cumulus would make a change too. After all, it is on the doomed 94.7 frequency that changes formats every few months (I'm being sarcastic)... At least KHit's has been pretty consistent in their overall format with tweaking done over the decades, regardless of the "branding", since, oh, the dawn of time...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom