• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

104.3 from Classic Hits to Classic Hip-Hop

Personally, this defines what David Eduardo and I were talking about elsewhere. The need to understand the human aspect of Entercom/CBS. I have two friends at K-Hits, now out of work. And for a flash in the pan waste of a format. Sometimes radio is ****ing bullshit.

I read that Entercom may move the WBMX calls to 104.3 Jams. If that does happen, then I could see Entercom park the WJMK calls at Mix 104.1 in Boston.

I read that Entercom may move the WBMX calls to 104.3 Jams. If that does happen, then I could see Entercom park the WJMK calls at Mix 104.1 in Boston.

Why would they want a call that screams "Mix" on a rap oldies station, and why move that call from a station that identifies as "Mix"? Either keep WJMK (which does hint at "Jam") in Chicago or find a new call.

Why would they want a call that screams "Mix" on a rap oldies station, and why move that call from a station that identifies as "Mix"? Either keep WJMK (which does hint at "Jam") in Chicago or find a new call.

According to Wikipedia 102.7 in Oak Park had the WBMX calls from 1973-1988 and they stood for "Black Music EXperience".

You watch they are going to even have less then an audience then what they had before?
They might, but they will have a larger share of their target audience than what they have now. The two direct competitors, combined with two classic rockers, meant you had 5 stations slicing up a pie, which isn't that large given the older (55+) demos. As a result, WJMK had HORRENDOUS billing (in the $5-7 million range). Even if they drop a share or two in 6+, they should see a nice rise in the money demos.

According to Wikipedia 102.7 in Oak Park had the WBMX calls from 1973-1988 and they stood for "Black Music EXperience".

I do agree with CTRadioListener that the WJMK calls seem to match well with the branding, and could stand for "W JaMs ChiKago". I was trying to point out that the WBMX calls did have origins in Chicago. Although it seems like a good idea to return the WBMX calls to Chicago, I think that's a remote possibility.

This pisses me off... I actually enjoyed KHits. I come out tonight, get in the car, radio on (104.3 is, well was, one of my presets) and this CRAP is on.

Just what we needed. Another station playing "shitty" urban music. I don't care if it's their version of "oldies" or not. It blows.

I hope it fails. But the preset has already been changed.

I do agree with CTRadioListener that the WJMK calls seem to match well with the branding, and could stand for "W JaMs ChiKago". I was trying to point out that the WBMX calls did have origins in Chicago. Although it seems like a good idea to return the WBMX calls to Chicago, I think that's a remote possibility.

They're talking about this in the Boston forum as if it's a done deal, that WBMX is going back to Chicago. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. The answer shouldn't be long in coming.

Even if the call does have a history on Chicago urban-formatted radio, I still don't see it ringing any nostalgia bells with Jams' target audience. The black music heard on the radio from the early '70s through the mid-'80s -- the period BMX stood for Black Music eXperience -- was soul and disco, not hip-hop. To many of today's 25-44 black listeners, that's mom and dad's music, not theirs. Yes, old school R&B is often sampled in hip-hop recordings, but that doesn't mean the listener who grew up with the early stars of hip-hop will have any positive recollection of WBMX as a stattion or a brand.

Last edited:
This pisses me off... I actually enjoyed KHits. I come out tonight, get in the car, radio on (104.3 is, well was, one of my presets) and this CRAP is on.

Just what we needed. Another station playing "shitty" urban music. I don't care if it's their version of "oldies" or not. It blows.

Ahhhh the ol' "urban music sucks" bit. It doesn't get old.

There are 4 other stations to choose from. It won't be hard finding a replacement.

Smart move for E. By eliminating the huge overlap between the other 4 and going after GCI and V, this would be a good sales combo with 96. Just like chrocket said, it may not be an overall ratings winner, but it will bring in more $ from the all important $ demo.

That being said, I do wish all the best for the staffers. I imagine Peck is going to XRT; unless if there was some clause E could get out of, he'll stick around. And I somehow have a feeling Jeffro will stick around; he's played a lot of this music back in the 90s.

I echo your sentiments! This WAS my favorite station, now it's garbage, so 94.7 will be my new favorite.

Just FYI, The WBMX call letters have been in Boston since 1991. That's almost 27 years. While I see the importance of the call letters to the Chicago market, I think that it would be foolish to pull the Mix call letters from the Boston station, that is unless they are planning a format change in Boston too!

I listened on the Tune-In app on my phone last night for about 45 minutes. I wasn't impressed. The audio on the Tune-In App was low and the whole name "104.3 JAMS" sounds awkward. It was also weird hearing them play the version of "I'll be Missing you" with Sting mixed in. I haven't heard that version in a long time. "I'll be Missing You" is in regular location on i-Heart's similarly formatted station in Philly - Real 106.1 and they play the version without Sting mixed in. I'll keep listening to Real 106.1 on the i-Heart app.

They're having a problem with their processor I think. I've noticed that most CBS stations' stereo signal cuts out when it's not being used like when someone is talking on the air, and would pop back on the second a song or SFX would play. Right now, the stereo is cutting out for minutes at a time. Weird if you ask me.

As for people missing K-Hits, the station wasn't doing well in the ratings at all. They were CBS' lowest rated station in Chicago by a LOT. As it was mentioned before, and while some people might hate it, by giving people an Urban Hot AC-esque alternative to WGCI and V103, Entercom could really market this a lot better than being a fifth option to the many AC stations in Chicago. I mean is 87.7, 93.9, 94.7, and 100.3 not enough?

Last edited:
They might, but they will have a larger share of their target audience than what they have now. The two direct competitors, combined with two classic rockers, meant you had 5 stations slicing up a pie, which isn't that large given the older (55+) demos. As a result, WJMK had HORRENDOUS billing (in the $5-7 million range). Even if they drop a share or two in 6+, they should see a nice rise in the money demos.

I am betting you that it will be very interesting to see what the first radio ratings will be like under this new station, but I am imagine that they will fall flat on their faces, as they will only have the younger audience that Jimmy DeCastro is hoping to have, but selecting music artists that are younger, and all alive then the artists that K-Hits played, including Michael Jackson.

They're having a problem with their processor I think. I've noticed that most CBS stations' stereo signal cuts out when it's not being used like when someone is talking on the air, and would pop back on the second a song or SFX would play. Right now, the stereo is cutting out for minutes at a time. Weird if you ask me.

As for people missing K-Hits, the station wasn't doing well in the ratings at all. They were CBS' lowest rated station in Chicago by a LOT. As it was mentioned before, and while some people might hate it, by giving people an Urban Hot AC-esque alternative to WGCI and V103, Entercom could really market this a lot better than being a fifth option to the many AC stations in Chicago. I mean is 87.7, 93.9, 94.7, and 100.3 not enough?

The playlist of 87.7 ME TV FM is oldies, as their playlist of songs even goes back to the 1950's, which is something that neither K-Hits or WLS FM plays, and plus they find different songs and artists to play then what the two others stations played. And even they can play theme songs to tv shows as well, such as the theme song of Leave it to Beaver, when was the last time you heard a theme song of a tv show played on another station that can be either consider oldies or greatest hits?

When a station flips some people are angry while others welcome the change. In six months, we will know if the flip caused a rise or decline in ratings. My opinion is that we will see a nice rise as this will take away listerns from V103 which has been at the top for many rating periods. The station has not been doing well and performed the worse out of all the other CBS owned stations so a flip was no surprise. Unfortunately, good creative people lost their jobs but that is the industry and comes at no real surprise. The real winner here will be WLS FM which stands to gain new listeners and should see a nice rise in their ratings. Like it or not Radio is a business.

...selecting music artists that are younger, and all alive then the artists that K-Hits played, including Michael Jackson.

All alive? Tell selling that idea to Biggie or Tupac.

"Staggie, Staggie, Staggie can't you see...

Sometimes your words just hypnotize me."

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom