• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Staff Changes @ CBS/Entercom Seattle?

LITTLEBOYBLUE

Star Participant
Just in case we have anyone on the board who actually works in the industry ... wondering what personnel shoes have dropped (or been reclaimed!) so far from the CBS/ECOM merger?

Just in case we have anyone on the board who actually works in the industry ... wondering what personnel shoes have dropped (or been reclaimed!) so far from the CBS/ECOM merger?

They've been too busy flipping formats in places like NYC, Chicago and DFW to worry about us way out here.

AllAccess is reporting KMPS 94.1 flipped to Christmas music amid rumors of a format change to follow.

AllAccess is reporting KMPS 94.1 flipped to Christmas music amid rumors of a format change to follow.

That's pretty amazing given that the station has recently had a great summer book, and lots of heritage with the format. One would have thought their performance would have given them the leg up over The Wolf, unless the idea is to put 90s country on KMPS and bring back Icabod. Which come to think of it would be a great idea.

I'm hoping they can tweak the format and compete with KKXA, but I'm sure they'll flip to some other format. What a run if they say bye-bye to country; almost 40 years on FM and 43 years combined if you count KMPS-1300 AM (when they flipped from KOL's Top 40).

That's pretty amazing given that the station has recently had a great summer book, and lots of heritage with the format. One would have thought their performance would have given them the leg up over The Wolf

That was about the same reaction I had. The reaction on the KMPS Facebook page to the Christmas switch has been all negative. Granted, that doesn’t necessarily mean KMPS will have a bad Holiday, or even Winter book, but fans of the station certainly don’t seem happy.

One thing I noticed is the cbslocal.com domain has been replaced by radio.com. So the new KMPS website is now at kmps.radio.com.

One thing I noticed is the cbslocal.com domain has been replaced by radio.com. So the new KMPS website is now at kmps.radio.com.

3 stations playing Xmas Music now. Awesome. This should just make for a compelling Holiday Book. Twas the Night before Xmas and all over the dial was holiday music but someone didn't smile. The crusty ol miser who thought he was WARM was suddenly hit by a holiday storm. With Santa FM and the flip of 94.1 looks like the war on Xmas has really begun. The stockings were hung by the radios with care hoping P1's soon would be there. Holiday favorites and songs for the season but 3 Xmas stations - there must be a reason. With so many stations now spreading the cheer will that crusty ol miser have something to fear? A dip in the ratings, a chunk of your cume, less AQH, we will find out soon.

I'm hearing iHeart promos on 1090.

KFNQ's web site has IHeart showing on the page. From what i understood, iHM isn't taking possession of the license until early next year...is what i heard incorrect?

On the flip side, KJAQ's and KZOK's sites still proclaim CBS along with Entercom.

On the flip side, KJAQ's and KZOK's sites still proclaim CBS along with Entercom.

Hmmm...are you sure? The CBSLocal.com domain has been replaced by kzok.radio.com/ and JackSeattle.radio.com

The former page design has been returned to the WordPress VIP layout that CBS stations used prior to establishment of CBSLocal.com

Hmmm...are you sure? The CBSLocal.com domain has been replaced by kzok.radio.com/ and JackSeattle.radio.com

The former page design has been returned to the WordPress VIP layout that CBS stations used prior to establishment of CBSLocal.com

If one scrolls to the very bottom, you'll see it in the 'fine print', or that's what I saw this morning (11/19/17).

If one scrolls to the very bottom, you'll see it in the 'fine print', or that's what I saw this morning (11/19/17).

Your previous post used the word "proclaim." That implied to me something in the banner, not the footer. I'm sure at some point they'll get around to fixing that.

Your previous post used the word "proclaim." That implied to me something in the banner, not the footer. I'm sure at some point they'll get around to fixing that.

Sorry, the 'proclaim' part was referring to the KFNQ site, where right at the top is an I Heart logo.

iHeart can assume control of 1090 KFNQ now because it does not put them over the limit on stations in the Seattle market (5FM 3AM). They have to wait a few more weeks for the Ocean trust stations to settle then around the middle of December expect to see KZOK and Jack make their way to iHeart studios. I think website IT and the traffic departments are having some fun with this...not.

Ahh... KMPS. I remember when we launched KMPS 1300. Barbie Benton (remember her?) arrived in Seattle to meet clients and agencies. She did the first KMPS jingles. Seems like only 4 decades ago! Then we blew out the Jim Schulke elevator music on the FM and simulcast the morning show on KMPS AM/FM from the AM studio using a stereo synthesizer... I'm sure there was a logical reason to jettison a format which has evolved over so many years.

Ahh... K M P S. Some thought it stood for Kountry Music For Puget Sound. Others thought it stood for Manning P. Slater, who owned Hercules Broadcasting, but Manny denied it.

Ahh... KMPS. I remember when we launched KMPS 1300. Barbie Benton (remember her?) arrived in Seattle to meet clients and agencies. She did the first KMPS jingles. Seems like only 4 decades ago! Then we blew out the Jim Schulke elevator music on the FM and simulcast the morning show on KMPS AM/FM from the AM studio using a stereo synthesizer... I'm sure there was a logical reason to jettison a format which has evolved over so many years.

Ahh... K M P S. Some thought it stood for Kountry Music For Puget Sound. Others thought it stood for Manning P. Slater, who owned Hercules Broadcasting, but Manny denied it.

I remember for the first years, they called it "13 Kompass Kountry".

KMPS-FM in '79/'80 (at least after morning hours) played more of the so-called "Outlaw Country" stuff, like Willie, Waylon, Tompall Glaser, Dan Hicks, Jessi Colter, even a few Eagles, Jimmy Buffett, Linda Ronstadt, Flying Burrito Brothers/Gram Parsons tunes. The AAA of the Country format. It was more albumy than the poppier stuff on KMPS-AM.

I remember this because my mom worked at the jeans/menswear counter at the Lynnwood Fred Meyer back then and they were going all in on the Urban Cowboy fad. They were redesigning the entire men's clothes department to accommodate bandannas, leather and jean jackets, cowboy hats, shirts and boots BEFORE the movie came out. So they had KMPS-FM playing in the background off a stereo receiver-amp connected to the rooftop master antenna for the TV department.

It was when that Urban Cowboy thing died out that KMPS-FM dropped the soft/folk rock crossovers and focused squarely on mainstream country and the AM/FM simulcast until 1996 when Salem picked up 1300.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom