• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sexual Misconduct in the Radio Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask these questions sincerely to better grasp the limitations of free speech on the internet. Please school me so I might better understand.

Frank answered your principal question. I want to clarify a broader issue.

"Free Speech" is a right to not have the government or its agents interfere with expression in public places.

The First Amendment does not guarantee freedom of speech on private property. You can't go into a person's living room and make a statement or speech if the owner of the house has not given you permission. You don't have a right to free speech in WalMart or its parking lot. And you don't have unfettered rights on a privately owned website.

So you have to follow the rules of the owner of the property where you are expressing yourself.

Well I posted allegations the ones that are so far reported at that point though. I did threads of Alex Jones, George Takei, Louis CK, Bernie Ward , NPR leaders, Fox News leaders at that point have so far have been named in various harassment lawsuits and how it affects contracts and ratings. But those were widely reported and verification at that point were processed when they came out. Multiple links are needed to confirm that an allegation is at play though.

What you have reported are facts which are all over the media.
The kind of posts which I will not allow are "John Doe is a well-known ....." without providing anything to back up such statements.

Frank

I would think in radio it is less about employees and more about listeners. When I was working Top 40 in the late 1970s and 1980s as a jock you had to really be careful. There were many underage girls trying to get you to think they were older seeing you as 'bragging rights'.

I must say, in one small town where I worked evenings at a Top 40 station, the kids would drive around town. Frequently a carload of guys or girls would come in to the station to request a song in person. There were many times a carload of girls would stop by about 15 minutes before my shift ended and one of them would be left behind begging me for a ride home. I'd take them to their house but never hit on them.

When I had a pretty serious girlfriend, this stunning blonde was 'left behind' for me to take home. I remember having a terrible headache that night by the time I got off the air. I was not happy this girl needed a ride home. A couple of days later my girlfriend is furious with me for sleeping with this girl and she wanted my side of the story before breaking up with me. As it turned out, this girl and my girlfriend were to attend this party. So my girlfriend would believe me, I told her to get the girl away from her friends so I could confront her on her story. I said hello and that it was nice to see her again. I told her I was so tired I really didn't remember much of the evening I gave her a ride home but I did have a question: Was I any good because I can't remember anything about that? She quickly slipped away without a word and I had repaired the relationship with my girlfriend.

At one station I worked, a male and female jock were caught making love by a listener that peered through the cracks between the closed blinds one night. How it got back to the GM, I'm not sure but we needed a couple of part-timers the next morning. Aside from that, I never came across any 'so-called' sexual harassment from employees.

In fact, we seemed to always be such a tight-knit bunch and so like-minded, those hints at being open to a relationship were masked in light-hearted joking around and both sides were pretty much equally matched. It never went beyond that. The only way you knew there was any interest was when it was just the guys or just the girls talking among themselves. Maybe it was because all the staff spend so much time together working you knew them like roommates and that took a bit too much mystery and fantasy out of wanting to start a relationship or other assorted hookup.

TeaPartyDude: Do you have any idea how much it costs to defend yourself (or this website) against libel accusations?

That is why we do not permit "outing" here.

RadioDiscussions.com is the place to discuss broadcasting. The topic of "sexual misconduct" really belongs elsewhere.

I appreciate your understanding.

Ok, I have been schooled! You won't hear another peep from me regarding this topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom