• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sexual Misconduct in the Radio Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than today's Tweeden tale, there has been much "outing" of sexual misconduct perpetrators in the radio industry like the other industries have experienced in recent weeks. Why all the cricket noise. Could it be the radio industry is free of sexual misconduct?

Will someone emerge and courageously name names? I am anxiously awaiting?

A thread just like this was started and shut down on the Boston board a few days ago. Tick, tick, tick.

Other than today's Tweeden tale, there has been much "outing" of sexual misconduct perpetrators in the radio industry like the other industries have experienced in recent weeks.

You probably meant "hasn't." As for why, maybe there aren't enough notable national radio personalities anymore for anyone to come forward with a long-repressed memory -- or politically motivated lie.

Since I usually worked alone and overnights no one was in the station. So I had to sexually harass myself. Also, I think the silence could be because of the old axiom of a lot of guys/girls having a "Face made for radio".

Since I usually worked alone and overnights no one was in the station. So I had to sexually harass myself. Also, I think the silence could be because of the old axiom of a lot of guys/girls having a "Face made for radio".

Although the scenario played out in "Play Misty For Me" was all too real for some radio folk, but that was listener harassing DJ, not the other way around.

This made me laugh, though I refuse to be one of those people who posts "LMAO." It reminded me of a guy I knew in my college dorm who's goal was to become a top 40 DJ. He actually had a picture of Scotty Brink (KHJ) on his door. He did have a golden voice - deep and rich...but definitely a face (and body) for radio. Hey ...maybe he became Rush Limbaugh! Having said that, there are many attractive people in radio. :cool:

Who knows at this point though.
I remember a decade ago right when KGO-AM was Changing owners from ABC to Citadel/(now Cumulus) Bernie Ward was taken down by the FBI for having child rape on his computer though.

But for other people in radio facing similar issues we need to wait until further notice.

Other than today's Tweeden tale, there has been much "outing" of sexual misconduct perpetrators in the radio industry like the other industries have experienced in recent weeks. Why all the cricket noise. Could it be the radio industry is free of sexual misconduct?

Will someone emerge and courageously name names? I am anxiously awaiting?

http://www.scpr.org/news/2014/05/09/44038/scpr-chairman-and-former-e-ceo-jarl-relurlplee514/

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-npr-ceo-20140510-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-jarl-mohn-leave-20171107-story.html

Jarl Mohn the former KPCC-FM manager/current NPR CEO was named in a complaint for dropping the ball in the Michael Oreskes Harassment scandal and yes at the time of post Jarl Mohn Left on "Health reasons" also like Fox News during the post-Ailes management change they had to call on a law firm for reforms to the division.

I only know of one former GM of a station that I formerly worked for who was hit with a sexual harassment charge less than six months after I left said station. He was not with that station much longer. I did not know which of my former coworkers filed the complaint, but it was alleged to have occurred while I was still employed at this station. And I heard about this allegation from a newscast on THAT station! I won't mention him by name (although I probably should!), except that I will say that he is deceased now. He was such a snake that his own daughter supposedly would not let him walk her down the aisle at her wedding! I heard this from my sister (who was a sorority sister of the daughter). My sister is also deceased now. (By the way, I absolutely believed the allegations.)

Please be cautious with your posts. We don't do libel.

Thanks,
Frank

I agree libel is offensive, however if there is someone out there who is victimizing and assaulting others there is an obligation on the part of people who have FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE to speak out and warn others!

I agree libel is offensive, however if there is someone out there who is victimizing and assaulting others there is an obligation on the part of people who have FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE to speak out and warn others!

The point Frank is making is that unsubstantiated accusations do not belong here. There are authorities that will investigate, but this site is not the place to open an investigation as the site moderators have no way of verifying or substantiating accusations and it is not our job to do so.

Well there was allegations that Alex Jones of Infowars did questionable stuff to 150 women but the allegations went cold due to Chobani going forward and suing Alex Jones for a false allegation, the Pizzagate verdicts were at play and the child custody trial at the time its one of these things I mentioned in another thread though while that trial was at play. I thought that allegation would be bigger than even the then biggest harassment scandal at the time was at Fox News just given how Jones was waving his skeletons in front of the camera.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...role-perpetuating-pizzagate-article-1.3009092

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/alex-jones-claims-slept-150-women-age-16-article-1.3095514

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ni-after-yogurt-maker-says-radio-host-n750566

That is the "old bury your head in the sand" strategy. Maybe if you ignore the situation it will go away. Don't hold your breath.

I support the terms of service on this site. That's all I'm saying.

Posting accusations on a message board isn't going to solve any kind of abusive problem. There are far more effective ways to handle that kind of thing.

Posting unsubstantiated accusations can subject this website to lawsuits. For that reason, we do not permit "outing" of anyone.
The posting of substantiated facts (with a link to the complete information) is fine.

Frank

Just what constitutes a "substantiated accusation?" Does there have to a confession on the part of the perpetrator, or perhaps a criminal or civil court verdict of guilt? Does a statement based on first hand evidence (personal knowledge based on of sight, sound, smell or other senses suffice? Isn't truth an absolute defense to any spurious allegation of libel or slander?

Have we become so politically correct that expression of truth and fact are now banned?

I ask these questions sincerely to better grasp the limitations of free speech on the internet. Please school me so I might better understand.

TeaPartyDude: Do you have any idea how much it costs to defend yourself (or this website) against libel accusations?

That is why we do not permit "outing" here.

RadioDiscussions.com is the place to discuss broadcasting. The topic of "sexual misconduct" really belongs elsewhere.

I appreciate your understanding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom