• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

" I Was There at The Beginning, and I'll Be With Them at The End."

Part of an actual post on Facebook from a fan of 100.3 FM The Sound. Really?? My question: I do not understand HOW you can be there at the beginning --- 10 am on April 8, 2008 --- and STILL be a regular listener?? Compare the playlist during those first 5 or 6 months with the last 5 or 6 months. BTW they were not on TEN years yet haha. Look, folks, good station because of the great Air Talent, that helps! But one has to put up with the playlist and then all the great talent in the world won't keep me there. EDIT: BTW I saw this on quite a few posts so it's not an isolated thought.

Last edited:
Some of those Facebook posts are quite amusing...people saying it's like they've had a death in the family (after experiencing that in spades the past five years, I assure them it's not)...others displaying their total lack of understanding regarding the sale/new owners/format/etc. - I'm sure some think the new Christian DJs moved into the same 100.3 studio five minutes later!

Props to the staff and crew for sure...most likely the end of an era here in Los Angeles, but the likes of Uncle Joe, Rita Wilde, Cynthia Fox, etc. have been fortunate enough to work in this market regularly for 35 years. Hats off to them today!

I was just thinking- WHY didn't they go online with such a massive loyal following that appears to be? This isn't like the days of Channel 103.1 going from OTA to online back in Sept 2000. Back then there were no smart phones just a device you hooked up to your computer and it transmitted whatever was coming over the sound card. No smart phones, no Bluetooth. Today, probably a majority of potential listeners have at least the capability to listen that way if they please. The problem is the air staff wouldn't work for peanuts, the "station" would have to figure out a way to monetize the venture. Maybe solicit donations. The reality is the amount of posts on Facebook and other social media is still a small amount so it probably wouldn't be feasible. For me, I put my money where my ears are and contributed a decent amount of money to my favorite non-commercial OTA radio station.

My favorite one I read said something about moving the sound to 93.1 if CBS ever decides to sell.

That's a good one...seems like the most common misconception in many posts is that the new owner randomly decided to go with Contemporary Christian when they could have just kept the classic rock format.

They just don't get it.

That's a good one...seems like the most common misconception in many posts is that the new owner randomly decided to go with Contemporary Christian when they could have just kept the classic rock format.

They just don't get it.
Amen to that. I get that probably the majority of people don't know how radio works as a business, but c'mon now.

...and no, Arrow 93 or the Mighty Met are NOT coming back. Ever.

The outpouring of support is a positive-something to keep in mind the next time someone is on this board or Facebook proclaiming that "absolutely nobody listens to radio"

Some of those Facebook posts are quite amusing...people saying it's like they've had a death in the family (after experiencing that in spades the past five years, I assure them it's not)...others displaying their total lack of understanding regarding the sale/new owners/format/etc. - I'm sure some think the new Christian DJs moved into the same 100.3 studio five minutes later!

Props to the staff and crew for sure...most likely the end of an era here in Los Angeles, but the likes of Uncle Joe, Rita Wilde, Cynthia Fox, etc. have been fortunate enough to work in this market regularly for 35 years. Hats off to them today!

I'm sure some think the new Christian DJs moved into the same 100.3 studio five minutes later!

That's probably exactly what they're thinking. It's been my experience that most of the general public does not know anything about how radio works and doesn't know the difference between local and satellite programming. 15 years ago I did board work for a 2500 watt AM station in suburban Hartford, CT. We picked up Dr. Laura Schlesinger after the big 50KW powerhouse dropped her. You wouldn't believe how many people thought she was sitting in our studio in suburban Hartford. People who knew I did board work at the station would make comments such as "Wow. You guys are such a small radio station. How in the world did you convince Dr. Laura to take a gig at your station?" Then I would explain to them that Dr. Laura is based in LA and we have a satellite dish at the radio station that picks up her show and we play it on our station.

That's probably exactly what they're thinking. It's been my experience that most of the general public does not know anything about how radio works and doesn't know the difference between local and satellite programming.

The cluelessness is certainly obvious with some of The Sound listeners...on Facebook, some are saying they want to "go down to the station" to protest the format change...others want to "call in and request Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin songs" just to mess with the new station. I'm guessing their only frame of reference is WKRP whenever Mother Carlson wanted to change formats!

I worked at a local TV station (network affilliate) and some viewers (older ones) are still convinced all the commercials are LIVE.

Seriously? I'm older (65), never worked in broadcasting, but know that the probably 90% of commercials weren't live in the 1960s, and I'm sure it's 100% now. The only reason it was 90% (and I'm pulling that number out of my a**, of course) in the 60s, is because you had some shows like The Tonight Show- doing the occasional live commercial - like Ed McMahon selling Alpo...I believe there's a famous clip in which Ed couldn't get the dog to eat the slop.

So you'd have to be 80+ to remember the early 50s when many commercials were live...I was a tiny kid then.

When I worked at a little TV station in Indiana, there was a guy convinced he could come to the station and be on "Wheel of Fortune"

Amen to that. I get that probably the majority of people don't know how radio works as a business, but c'mon now.

...and no, Arrow 93 or the Mighty Met are NOT coming back. Ever.

Indeed, those hey days are gone.
I remember listening to Frazier Smith in the mornings at KLOS.
Have the days of radio show morning show hosts like him gone by the wayside too?

Have the days of radio show morning show hosts like him gone by the wayside too?

It depends...there are quite a few professional actors and comedians hosting morning shows on the radio today. Probably more now than 20 years ago.

Just saw that DL Hughley's contract has just been renewed.

It depends...there are quite a few professional actors and comedians hosting morning shows on the radio today. Probably more now than 20 years ago.

Just saw that DL Hughley's contract has just been renewed.

I've heard that professional stand-up comics don't like to work on morning shows, because it eats up all their material. There's a professional stand-up and voice actor (did a lot of commercials in the Bay Area) named Bob Sarlatte who used to fill-in on the old K-101, but said he would never do it full-time for that reason.

I've heard that professional stand-up comics don't like to work on morning shows, because it eats up all their material.

A Houston Spanish language station hired a famous Hispanic standup comedian about two decades ago for their morning show.

The outcome was an understanding of the fact that comedians, for the most part, have about 90 minutes of good material, and when they tour, they repeat the same stuff in every venue in every show. Maybe they add a new joke occasionally, and get rid of one that is falling flat as it ages. But it's the same stuff, over and over.

A radio morning show requires new material every hour, every day. You can't repeat the same things over and over, since the audience is the same every day.

Just look at how many writers the network post-prime time talk shows have just for a few minutes of monologue. Not something radio can achieve or aspire to.

Last edited:
I've heard that professional stand-up comics don't like to work on morning shows, because it eats up all their material. There's a professional stand-up and voice actor (did a lot of commercials in the Bay Area) named Bob Sarlatte who used to fill-in on the old K-101, but said he would never do it full-time for that reason.

That's what Jeff Foxworthy said too. But there are others who do it because they don't have to travel. After a while, waking up in different hotels can kill you.

Bob Sarlatte is correct. I've spoken to a number of comedians in the Bay Area over the years and they all have said the same thing. It really does eat up a lot of material. This is why I had a lot of respect for Mark Thompson of KLOS. Over the years, he had always had funny material on his show.

Bob Sarlatte is correct. I've spoken to a number of comedians in the Bay Area over the years and they all have said the same thing. It really does eat up a lot of material. This is why I had a lot of respect for Mark Thompson of KLOS. Over the years, he had always had funny material on his show.

Morning rdaio eats up material regardless if you're a comedian or not. Some comedians only create so much stuff. Others are creating material all the time. They just think "funny." Those are the ones who have no trouble doing morning radio. Usually they're part of a morning team, not by themselves, so they have other people to bounce stuff off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom