• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

There IS life after 100.3 The Sound

SuperRadioFan

Star Participant
Sting (1:33 PM)
One Fine Day | 57th & 9th (Deluxe)

Josh Ritter (1:28 PM)
Feels Like Lightning | Gathering
Jan 17 at Teragram Ballroom (Los Angeles)

The Who (1:24 PM)
Another Tricky Day | Face Dances

Manchester Orchestra (1:20 PM)
The Gold | A Black Mile To The Surface

David Bowie (1:06 PM)
Day In-Day Out | Never Let Me Down

Broken Social Scene (1:02 PM)
Halfway Home | Hug Of Thunder

Ryan Adams (12:58 PM)
To Be Without You | Prisoner

Gregg Allman (12:55 PM)
Little By Little | Low Country Blues

The Lone Bellow (12:52 PM)
Time's Always Leaving | Walk Into A Storm

The Beatles (12:49 PM)
Julia | White Album

Beach Fossils (12:46 PM)
This Year | Somersault

Brandi Carlile (12:41 PM)
The Joke | Single

Dire Straits (12:36 PM)
Communique | Communique

Gillian Welch (12:32 PM)
The Way It Goes | The Harrow & The Harvest

Sheryl Crow (12:25 PM)
Long Way Back | Be Myself

My Morning Jacket (12:22 PM)
First Light | Circuital

Dan Auerbach (12:18 PM)
Stand By My Girl | Waiting On A Song

Flying Burrito Brothers (12:14 PM)
Hot Burrito #1 | The Gilded Palace Of Sin

Robert Palmer (12:10 PM)
Bad Case Of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor) | Secrets

Hiss Golden Messenger (12:07 PM)
Domino (Time Will Tell) | Hallelujah Now

Anderson East (12:03 PM)
All On My Mind | Encore

The Clash (12:00 PM)
Train In Vain | London Calling

The Moody Blues (11:56 AM)
Gypsy | To Our Children's Children's Children

Frightened Rabbit (11:52 AM)
Rained On | Recorded Songs EP

Bruce Springsteen (11:48 AM)
All That Heaven Will Allow | Tunnel Of Love

Mondo Cozmo (11:44 AM)
Plastic Soul | Plastic Soul

Dawes (feat. Jackson Browne) (11:37 AM)
Fire Away | Nothing Is Wrong

Eric Clapton (11:32 AM)
Let It Grow | 461 Ocean Boulevard

Lord Huron (11:28 AM)
The Night We Met | 13 Reasons Why OST

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (11:25 AM)
4 + 20 | Deja Vu

The Who (11:20 AM)
Bargain | Who's Next

U2 (11:16 AM)
Get Out Of Your Own Way | Songs Of Experience

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (11:12 AM)
Jammin' Me | Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)

Chris Stapleton (11:08 AM)
Midnight Train To Memphis | From A Room, Vol. 2

Modern English (11:04 AM)
I Melt With You | After The Snow

Radiohead (11:00 AM)
Man Of War | OKNOTOK

The Rolling Stones (10:55 AM)
Fool To Cry | Black And Blue

Alt-J (10:51 AM)
In Cold Blood | Relaxer

The Jimi Hendrix Experience (10:48 AM)
You Got Me Floatin' | Axis: Bold As Love

Robert Plant (10:45 AM)
The May Queen | Carry Fire

Eli Teplin (10:41 AM)
Could It Be Over | single

Dave Edmunds (10:36 AM)
Slipping Away | Information

Deer Tick (10:33 AM)
Jumpstarting | Deer Tick Vol. 1

Jeff Beck Group (10:25 AM)
Got The Feeling | Rough And Ready

M. Ward (10:22 AM)
To Save Me | Hold Time

Pearl Jam (10:19 AM)
Glorified G | Vs.

Tears For Fears (10:13 AM)
Sowing The Seeds Of Love | The Seeds Of Love

Rachael Yamagata (10:10 AM)
Worn Me Down | Happenstance

George Harrison (10:06 AM)
When We Was Fab | Cloud Nine

Noah Gundersen (10:02 AM)
The Sound | White Noise

Indeed...before and after! I realized today I wasn't even 30 yet when KSCA went on the air in 1994...and how ready I was then for something different on the radio. I've never looked back.

"Gold-based"??? I don't think so, yes there's deep tracks from legendary acts, but this station has a preponderance of currents, re-currents, and new tracks.... http://www.885fm.org/

About half of the list you posted is gold. The rest is split between currents and recurrents. I'd say that's a gold-based AAA. And an excellent one at that -- I can't remember the last time I heard the Moody Blues' "Gypsy" on any FM station. I'm giving the station's stream a live listen now and the first two songs I've heard have been Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire" (1971), Ty Segall's "My Lady's On Fire" (released just this month), which is just the sort of song sequence your list is full of.

I hope former 'Sound' listeners will tune into The New 88.5 fm and discover what a truly good radio station it is!!!

I kind of threw in the towel on them a few years ago due to signal issues in my usual stomping grounds of Glendale, but did tune in today just for a few minutes and heard them play "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor, which I thought was a pretty interesting gold choice for 2017, but as you can see from Super's list, they have quite a good mix of them, which is why, signal issues asside, they have been my favorite station for the last several years.

Good news is that when I tuned in today, the signal was much better, so maybe I will be tuning in more in the future.

The key things to note are 88.5fm is a non-commercial station (as opposed to The Sound), and it's owned by a college. I point this out to music fans because non-commercial stations don't have to be concerned about ratings or demographics. So if their audience is all over 60, no one cares. However, there has been a trend of colleges selling their radio stations lately. One of the biggest happened in Providence RI, where WBRU, a popular station with music fans, was sold to EMF, the same company that bought The Sound. So if one day Cal State decides it wants to reallocate its resources, this radio station may disappear.

Happily, I think CSUN is all in with their radio station. They recently pooled their resources with Saddleback College to create a bigger 88.5 :)

A real alternative for The Sound, 88.5 FM. Especially for listeners who still know the station in the AAA days. That's what 88.5 is. Easy going presentation like in the old FreeForm/album rock days and excellent music. Far better in my point of view what The Sound was

For the Big A: Fans of the station know it’s non commercial that’s why some of us donate. Regarding ownership maybe you can say how that impacts because there’s 2 stations here not one so how would that work?

For the Big A: Fans of the station know it’s non commercial that’s why some of us donate. Regarding ownership maybe you can say how that impacts because there’s 2 stations here not one so how would that work?

As to the donors, there is a reason why this AAA station can be easily mistaken for a "Gold-Based AAA". It can be argued that it isn't a mistake to call it such.

Fact of the matter is, AAA fans say they want to hear lots of new stuff, but practice shows what they want is some new stuff, but not too much - play a lot of the stuff I already know. They have done plenty of direct listener outreach to determine this, but even mores so, pledge drives prove it. They simply get more pledges when they play a lot of gold. Sky has recognized this and programmed accordingly. Previous versions of the station, which I also liked (and sometimes really miss) were simply too esoteric to keep the donations coming in at a sufficient rate.

As to the donors, there is a reason why this AAA station can be easily mistaken for a "Gold-Based AAA". It can be argued that it isn't a mistake to call it such..

Especially since much of the gold they're playing is more suited to a deep classic rock station or even a gold-heavy soft AC, if such even exist on FM anymore. The latter is where I'd expect to hear "Sweet Baby James," the former where "Gypsy" might be played. If they were programming a 33.3/33.3/33.3 percent mix of current, recurrent and gold ('80s and '90s) AAA tracks, then an argument could be made that it's inaccurate. But they're using ancient songs that have really never fit into the AAA format at all.

Fact of the matter is, AAA fans say they want to hear lots of new stuff, but practice shows what they want is some new stuff, but not too much - play a lot of the stuff I already know.

Rock and AAA music fans would be well served to continue to seek out the new stuff too - current artists such as X AMBASSADORS, MANCHESTER ORCHESTRA, PORTUGAL. THE MAN, ST. VINCENT, SPOON, THE NATIONAL, for example. are all churning out good new stuff. If 88.5 is moving toward more gold as ChannelFlipper observes, and possibly strategically as a way to create a comfortable on-ramp for former The Sound listeners, one idea would be to have 88.5 create a new music show, where all this good new stuff can be highlighted and spotlighted.

Rock and AAA music fans would be well served to continue to seek out the new stuff too - current artists such as X AMBASSADORS, MANCHESTER ORCHESTRA, PORTUGAL. THE MAN, ST. VINCENT, SPOON, THE NATIONAL, for example. are all churning out good new stuff. If 88.5 is moving toward more gold as ChannelFlipper observes, and possibly strategically as a way to create a comfortable on-ramp for former The Sound listeners, one idea would be to have 88.5 create a new music show, where all this good new stuff can be highlighted and spotlighted.

They may not be making any changes post-Sound. Nobody has ever gotten fired in radio for playing familiar music.

I remember the perceptual and focus group that the AAA I worked for once did. Everybody says they like new music, but when you play a lot of new music, they complain that you're playing songs that are "weird." Since our power rotation meant it played once a day back then, it was really hard to get people into new releases. When we finally asked the audience what they wanted, we got an earful.

There is a lot of good AAA product out there right now that plays well with the gold. Give 'em enough spins so people get to know and love them, and you've got a winner... and you help the artists sell records, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom