• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NBCU Shutting Down Chiller

Chiller is soon to be dead. NBCUniversal confirmed to Deadline today that its 10-year-old horror-fied cable channel, which reaches about 40M homes, will be put on ice for good at year’s end after struggling to secure carriage deals with the likes of Dish, Verizon and others.

Since launching in March 2007, Chiller has aired mostly horror films and older TV fare along with one original scripted series, the Canadian horror anthology Slasher, which premiered in March 2016. Chiller also aired original reality fare and films such as Lifeforce and Siren, along with such off-net genre series as 666 Park Avenue, Being Human, Fear Factor, Tales From the Crypt, The Twilight Zone and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

https://deadline.com/2017/11/chiller-shut-down-cable-channel-nbcuniversal-slasher-1202209932/

Chiller had already been off of Charter, probably at about the same time they dropped Esquire. The only thing I ever watched much on there was the 80's Twilight Zone, and that was usually on at times when I couldn't see it anyway.

Not surprised. I had Chiller years ago when it was on Frontier FiOS in Snohomish County, and they used to carry plenty of horror shows. I haven't seen it in a long time however.

I had Chiller on COX but now that I have DIRECTV I don't have it. (We have a bare bones package that sucks). I used to like watching reruns of "Dead Like Me" on Chiller. Now I haven't seen that show in a long time. They had a marathon of it on COMET last year but I don't get that channel. Even if I still had COX I wouldn't get that channel. At least in Connecticut COX is notoriously slow to add sub channels. Plus the people running that place aren't the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

They were carrying WFSB Channel 3.3 (Eyewitness News Now) on Channel 800. It was a 24 hour news and weather channel from WFSB. On April 15, 2015 WFSB replaced Eyewitness News Now with the new sub channel LAFF TV as well as launching ESCAPE on Channel 3.2. (Channel 3.2 had long been a simulcast of their sister station WSHM-LD from Springfield so there was no need to carry 3.2) Instead of getting LAFF TV on Channel 800 we got ESCAPE. It wouldn't be until March 2016 that COX Subscribers got LAFF TV.
Meanwhile I have friends who live in areas served by COMCAST and for them it was a smooth transition from Eyewitness News Now to LAFF TV on 4/15/15.

Last edited:
makes sense, they just refreshed SyFy's image with a new logo, i'm sure almost all the content on Chiller now will move to Syfy to help get the science fiction and horror image of that network back.

plus NBCUniversal is killing off the lower tier networks left and right cause they aren't being watched and we all know these channels aren't making money these days, this is something that Viacom needs to do too with channels that are under-performing in the Viacom family.

With so many providers removing Chiller from their lineups, I figured that it was just a matter of time. No surprise here.

Not surprise that Chiller is being shut down as Charter dropped it in spring time. I didn't watch the channel only watching it couple of times mainly for Ghost Whisperer.

Probably one of the reasons is Chiller would be on the "Premiere" tier or Gold package tier. Most people only have Standard Cable, with quite a few dropping even further down to Broadcast Basic. This doesn't count the huge percentage of folks who simply cut the cord. I had Chiller the first time it aired on Cable (2006?) and dropped it as soon as my promo rate with Time Warner Cable was up, I switched back to Broadcast Basic (our apartment complex had a hot tap program where Time Warner would give us a package at a promo rate.) So I tried their Surf & Watch package with Digital Phone. Expect to see more channels in the "Premiere" tier dying off within the next few years.

I no longer have Standard Cable, because I refuse to pay a Sports Programming Fee for players who do not share my American values. Grande (whom never met a fee they didn't like) also wants to gouge it's customers with an Entertainment TV Network surcharge fee as well. Until they stop with the "surcharges" then I will start getting the higher package. I hope the folks that own Chiller are reading this forum. One can only hope.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom