• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What would Entercom do with WTDY?

As much as I would rather see KYW on fm, I see a swap between 1210 and 1060 making more sense.

The coverage of 1210 doesn't have to protect adjacent channels like 1060 has to null toward 1050 New York.

Conservative talk doesn't need the best 50 kW signal.

1210 is, simply, a higher frequency and 50 kw there does not cover as much as it does at 1060. In fact, on paper the 1060 signal covers more people in the MSA than 1210 does based on the 5 mV/m signal (although today, that is not enough signal to overcome noise in many areas of large cities).

As much as I would rather see KYW on fm, I see a swap between 1210 and 1060 making more sense.

The coverage of 1210 doesn't have to protect adjacent channels like 1060 has to null toward 1050 New York.

Conservative talk doesn't need the best 50 kW signal.

Agreed.

KYW needs to be on FM, period. They need a much better signal to broadcast their news format on and I think 96.5 would be the perfect fit. We been talking about this for a while now. I hope that Entercom will make the move and put KYW NewsRadio on FM.

WTDY still hasn't flipped when a lot of CBS-turned-Entercom stations did the day of. So they're either not flipping at all or waiting out the holidays to grab some of MoreFM's audience while they play Christmas music. As the ratings have shown and in my opinion, it'd be foolish not to flip it to something else. Their ratings are lower than they were as a CHR station, which was deemed by CBS as a failure. Anyone who knows this market knows that any AC flips making a rivalry against 101.1 failed (97.5 and 106.1 in particular). I predict they're gonna flip to something else in January after the holidays.

But hey, if Entercom thinks this is working then who am I to judge lol.

WTDY still hasn't flipped when a lot of CBS-turned-Entercom stations did the day of. So they're either not flipping at all or waiting out the holidays to grab some of MoreFM's audience while they play Christmas music. As the ratings have shown and in my opinion, it'd be foolish not to flip it to something else. Their ratings are lower than they were as a CHR station, which was deemed by CBS as a failure. Anyone who knows this market knows that any AC flips making a rivalry against 101.1 failed (97.5 and 106.1 in particular). I predict they're gonna flip to something else in January after the holidays.

But hey, if Entercom thinks this is working then who am I to judge lol.

I thought one motive for WTDY was to chip ratings from WBEB in order to make sister station WOGL #1.

Although, KYW on FM may not be a bad move, given that news radio needs to attract under-55s who listen to little AM radio.

Comparing WTDY's ratings with those of WZMP is a fool's errand. Consider first that advertisers don't even look at 6+ numbers. Then consider that WTDY's target audience is not the same as WZMP's. They're two separate demographic groups. WTDY's advertisers are trying to reach a slightly more lucrative audience, which commands a higher premium. Also, AC is generally less expensive to operate than Top 40. I don't have any numbers to report but I'm sure WTDY is on its way to returning higher profits than WZMP would have had the format been left intact.

All stations will eventually flip but when WTDY does it will likely be because Entercom (or whoever at the time) finds a format they think will make more money (which is why 97.5 an 106.1 were flipped).

Also, while it's nice to be able to say you own the #1 station in town, that's not something to base business decisions on. The profitability of the cluster is your bottom line.

I agree that KYW should be on FM sooner rather than later if there's to be any hope to attract a younger audience (the longer they wait, the harder it will be) but sacrificing a station with long-term legs--which WTDY is--is not the way to do it.

Does the fact that 96.5 did not change to all Christmas indicate that a change is in the works for 96.5 or did entercom decide that they didn't want 2 stations that they own in the same market playing Christmas music or they choose to keep 96.5 as is so people can listen to the AC format in the Philly market, since 101.1 is playing Christmas music?

...or did entercom decide that they didn't want 2 stations that they own in the same market playing Christmas music

Bingo!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom