• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

will the largest city in the country finally...

Gunsmoke

Banned
have a format hole filled, that should of (A) never been empty in (L) the first place, could (T) happen, time will tell, Happy New Year.

While it is true that the new Entercom could go shopping in the New York market for one more FM (since the breakup of CBS Radio will dissolve the radio-TV cross-ownership cap),
what could possibly be for sale and what operator would even be willing to give up a frequency to a competing company in Entercom?

I know, I know....Pacifica, WBAI....but the anarchistic ways there would likely prevent them from being bowled over by mounds of Entercom cash,
no matter their desperate financial straits. One can dream, though...

I agree that the two HD signals are sufficient for the alt-rock format in NYC.
An alt station on a full NYC signal would likely get shares in the 1.7 - 2.7 range with mediocre to bad billings.
But it will be interesting to see if Entercom is bent on bringing one of their favored formats to NYC (on an existing or newly acquired signal)
thinking that they can get national buys by having alt stations in NYC, LA and other top markets.

Entercom's David Field has mentioned new "national scale" possibilities when talking about the merger.
This would be most applicable to the sports formats/broadcast rights they will have under their new umbrella.

Last edited:
Boom! And here comes Alt 92.3! I'll check it out during my lunch break. I do wonder how iHeart will respond to the use of the Alt name though.

I agree with you there. But Entercom seems to have a ton of patience with the format so they'll work hard to make it successful. I don't think Alt will be the most successful station in town, but I think it will do a decent job and fill a hole that's been open for years.

I don't think Alt will be the most successful station in town, but I think it will do a decent job and fill a hole that's been open for years.

The companies that own stations don't look for format holes. They look for revenue holes. Very different thing. If there's a format hole that won't generate much revenue, it sits on the table, just as country did for many years.

It turns out that 92.3 AMP was way "Too Good at Goodbyes" (pun intended) when it flipped to ALT, although I have to say that was a smart move for Entercom, and could allow them to tweak the HD2 channel into a more active rock direction. Although my biggest worry was that iHeartMedia was going to beat Entercom to the punch with their registration of the alt104.com and alt1043.com domains.

While it is true that the new Entercom could go shopping in the New York market for one more FM (since the breakup of CBS Radio will dissolve the radio-TV cross-ownership cap),
what could possibly be for sale and what operator would even be willing to give up a frequency to a competing company in Entercom?

iHeart or Cumulus might be forced to sell off a station or two here or there in a couple of markets to prevent (or because of) a bankruptcy. They might need an influx of cash and one or two large market stations might be a way to get some big, quick money. So anything is game.

How's this for a fun idea?
Cumulus sells 94.7 to Entercom because of financial issues. Entercom trades it (or 660AM) with some cash to WBAI and gets a full 99.5 signal and Pacifica gets to keep a NYC (ish) signal and also gets some cash out of it.)

iHeart or Cumulus might be forced to sell off a station or two here or there in a couple of markets to prevent (or because of) a bankruptcy. They might need an influx of cash and one or two large market stations might be a way to get some big, quick money.

Not very likely. Citadel went through Chap 11, and didn't sell anything. Radio stations generate cash flow. So keeping the revenue stream from a station is more valuable than selling the station itself, since selling the station means there's less revenue. Unless Entercom buys all of Cumulus, as Cumulus bought Citadel, I don't expect them to sell individual stations, especially in major markets.

Cue the countdown for the first complaints about the music selection. "Too much old stuff." "Not enough deep cuts." We've been there before.

The same predictable alternative 'classics' again. Been there, done that. But it looks like it's normal when a new station starts. It's evolve during the days/weeks.

...could allow them to tweak the HD2 channel into a more active rock direction....

On the "K-Rock2" stream, song titles are appearing but with no audio - except for when commercial breaks are aired.
Since I'm out of the area, what is actually airing on 92.3-HD2? Same as the stream (the sounds of silence except for commercials)?
Understandable since Entercom would want to put all the focus on the main channel and will likely change the HD2 channel to something else or lease it out.

I've been switching back + forth to see if the new Alt92.3 stream matches the K-Rock2 stream title-wise, but doesn't seem to match from what I can hear.

HD2 is now rebroadcasting sister station Fresh 102.7, delayed by around a minute. A message on the bottom of the display is promoting the new Alt 92.3 on HD1. K-Rock had been on HD2 for quite a few years. It had a much deeper playlist of alternative music than what I am hearing on the new station.
HD3 is still carrying Radio Disney.

I did hear a few country songs when first checking this afternoon. But now it is Radio Disney. Perhaps there was some sort of glitch when the HD1 and HD2 underwent changes.

iHeart or Cumulus might be forced to sell off a station or two here or there in a couple of markets to prevent (or because of) a bankruptcy. They might need an influx of cash and one or two large market stations might be a way to get some big, quick money. So anything is game.

If you look at the amount of debt for either, and the value of even the largest stations, you will realized that the debt exceeds the value of the assets by about two to three to one. No station sales will prevent bankruptcy, and would, on the other hand, reduce the positive cash flow of the group as a whole. And that would make each company worth even less and just increase the debt vs. equity ration unfavorably.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom