• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's Beginning to Sound a lot Like...

KPLZ has been announcing all week that they will return to the Santa FM format from last Christmas tomorrow morning at 9.

Classy 100 in Erie, PA flips to wall-to-wall Christmas tomorrow I hear.

Stationintel doesn't have a list this year, unfortunately. No idea who flips unless I look at all of the '(station name) flips to all-Christmas' threads on Radio Discussions. Already Christmas music on 960 KALE/106.1 K291BS in the Tri-Cities as 'Santa 106.1,' possibly a flip after the holidays. They were airing classic hits on a 24/7 Tom Kent feed. As for full-power stations, KONA/105.3 Tri-Cities will probably flip before Thanksgiving, and KARY/100.9 'Cherry FM' usually flips the day after Thanksgiving. My personal favorite, WQPW Valdosta, flips on Thanksgiving night. Much better and wider holiday playlist than most major or mid-market Xmas stations.
KPLZ trying again to take a piece of Warm's holiday pie this year. But Warm was still #1 last year in the Xmas book. Will KXXO, KAFE, etc. flip soon?

I still enjoy KIXI's 88 hours of Christmas the best, but I think it flips a couple days before Christmas Eve, and then it's all Christmas 88 hours before midnight the 26th, somewhere around the 22nd or so.

Where did I say that making money is/was a bad thing? Making money is good...being greedy is another...

How is Warm being greedy? They have been doing this so long, the audience and advertisers expect them to flip. It would cause more harm to not flip to all Christmas music.

How is Warm being greedy? They have been doing this so long, the audience and advertisers expect them to flip. It would cause more harm to not flip to all Christmas music.

Where did I say that Hubbard is being greedy? You're reading too much into this, or you just like to guess and make predictions like the other amateurs on this board.

Where did I say that Hubbard is being greedy? You're reading too much into this, or you just like to guess and make predictions like the other amateurs on this board.

Uh, from your reply in a conversation string about a Hubbard radio station playing Christmas music. I know, following logic can be a crazy thing sometimes.

As for KAFE, they will probably be playing Christmas music next weekend, then switch back to the regular format with a sprinkling of Christmas music until 12 days before. As for KXXO? Really not sure. Traditionally, they haven't flipped until Christmas eve, but in 2014 and 2015, they went all in the weekend after Thanksgiving, only to switch back to the regular format until Christmas eve and day. Oddly, in 2016, they were not doing Christmas music even on Christmas day.

WOW! That came outta left field. And it isn't Country Christmas (nope, no sign of 'Candy Cane Christmas,' 'Milk and Cookies (Til Santa's Gone)' or 'All I Want for Christmas is a Real Good Tan'). They are running the usual Bing Crosby/Nat King Cole/Bobby Helms, etc etc. Entercom took over KMPS when CBS sold their radio stations; and they own KKWF which is also country, so you could be right.
And yep, KPLZ now 'Santa FM.' That's THREE Xmas stations...in Seattle...before Thanksgiving. KCMS will flip the day after Thanksgiving making it four! Going to be more difficult for KRWM to stay #1 in the Holiday book now. CHQM hasn't flipped yet, but they usually do around Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
I can't see MPS going away. If anything, just tweak it a bit towards more older stuff and leave all the new stuff to Wolf.

Also, if you were going to ax the format completely, you would've scrubbed the branding. And you wouldn't be posting country related material and promoting a few country related events.

I'm thinking Classic Country on 94.1.

If you're thinking about Classic Country as 50s through 70s, you won't hear it on a major FM facility. Garth Brooks is about as far back as you can go because prior to Garth, people tended to discover Country music as adults, at about age 35. There could probably be older crossover songs like "Islands in the Stream", which could possibly be considered the new "Patsy Cline".

I think a mix of '80s country would work. I hear a lot of '80s country on KZIU/101.9 Weston, OR (near Tri-Cities, 'Hank FM'). And a smattering of classics from the 1970s and even earlier - 'Big Bad John,' 'Family Tradition,' etc. The prime demo would be '90s and early-mid '00s country however.
EDIT - the other thread said they would stay country after Xmas. Never mind on completely flipping.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom