• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rip WRXB AM 1590

hdradioeng

Frequent Participant
Looks like they have decided to cease operations. No AM or translator on air right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they have decided to cease operations. No AM or translator on air right now.

I am not surprised as they have been circling the drain for the last several years and from all accounts, the owner isn’t really interested in spending any money. I know for at least the last several months, they’ve seemed to be on their nighttime power and pattern and not 5,000 watts. This past Friday, I was able to pick them up on my car radio downtown and they were just barely listenable, before they hadn’t even been coming in, in downtown SP; I guess this past weekend was their last Hurrah. The FCC AM query website doesn’t show any correspondence later than April of this year.

Didn't at one time back in the 80's they referred to themselves as the "Black Spot on the Dial?"

A month has gone by and no news, what a shame. I thought for sure someone would've made a deal on the property by now.

They may have "ceased operation". But they forgot to turn the transmitter off. There has been an unmodulated carrier on 1590 for the past several weeks.

...The station...is for sale.
A medium signal AM station without a translator?
Does anyone have any ideas for a "what would you do with it" thread?

If a station goes silent, such as the 1290 in Ocala did a few years ago,
would there be any tax advantage in transferring it to
a non-commercial entity such as a school or community group?

I read recently that NIA (owner of WTMP F/A) bought WRXB. Anyone know if it's back on yet or what they are doing with it?

saw it in the trades but never filed at commission.

----------------

Still nothing on the FCC Website, indicating this is anything other than wishful thinking.......given that WTMP's translator's power and antenna height have been reduced, they could certainly use 1590 to help them be heard in most of St. Petersburg, and the beaches south of Madeira Beach, not to mention if WTMP is bought and the purchase price includes the translator (96.5 FM) if that translator could be moved from Palmetto, that could also be helpful, but that might be tricky now that there are two LPFM's with antennas near downtown at 96.3 and 96.7.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom