• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Call Letter Swap for 102.9 and 104.9 with stations in California

DMK

Frequent Participant
Saw this posted on NW Broadcasters.

The FCC has granted a call letter change for KFOO-FM 102.9 Centralia to KFNY-FM. The calls are a swap with KFNY AM 1440 Riverside, CA. Reportedly, iHeartMedia is swapping call letters for several stations that they are going to sell, including Tacoma market KUBE-FM 104.9 Eatonville to be swapped with KTDD AM 1350 San Bernardino, CA.

Very interesting.

Sounds like they're keeping the calls within the company, but will probably be just temporary before getting moved back to Washington. Surprised they didn't move them to 850 and 1090.

Last edited:
Moving the call signs from Tacoma/Olympia to San Bernandino/Riverside and vice verse defeats their purpose in my opinion. And by purpose, I mean that the callsigns are specific to western Washington.

Moving the call signs from Tacoma/Olympia to San Bernandino/Riverside and vice verse defeats their purpose in my opinion. And by purpose, I mean that the callsigns are specific to western Washington.
It's fairly common practice to do that. Remember BCN getting moved to Charlotte? It's to prevent competitors from grabbing them.

At least KUBE was.

From the sunny shores of Lake Washington to the Lahar Flats of Eatonville and now dumped on some station in San Bernardino, Where oh where has our little KUBE gone?

At least KUBE was.

From the sunny shores of Lake Washington to the Lahar Flats of Eatonville and now dumped on some station in San Bernardino, Where oh where has our little KUBE gone?
KFOO was too, as the FOO Fighters were founded in Seattle -- not part of 102.9's primary coverage area and never was, but still it is a local based number.

Sounds like they're keeping the calls within the company, but will probably be just temporary before getting moved back to Washington. Surprised they didn't move them to 850 and 1090.

They could've moved them to 850, but they didn't (there's probably a good reason). As to 1090, they are not the proud owners of that 'wonderful' license...yet.

Last edited:
At least KUBE was.

Broadcasting from the shores of Lake Washington, this is Seattle's musicradio, KUBE 93 FM with ten in a row.

Broadcasting from the shores of Lake Washington, this is Seattle's musicradio, KUBE 93 FM with ten in a row.

I was watching a documentary of KUBE's early years the other night. Wow....They don't make 'em like THIS no more.

https://vimeo.com/15965627

I was watching a documentary of KUBE's early years the other night. Wow....They don't make 'em like THIS no more.

https://vimeo.com/15965627

Couldn't agree more. Today's radio seems so slow and boring, with the exception of KISW.

KUBE sounded fresh, upbeat, live, local and fun. (Radio is supposed to be fun...today's broadcasters seem to have forgotten that.) If I wanted a jukebox, I could just stream it, or play it from my MP3 player.

I don't listen to music on the radio anymore...its all spoken word for me now, even though I'm still in the prime $money$ demo.

Last edited:
FYI ... those videos were produced by Marty Riemer for PSRBA when we did history of Seattle radio one year as a Soundies theme. Now, I believe, PSRBA is history too.

93 FM flipped to Top 40 my first year in college, over on the other side of the state. It had been a religious station (KBLE-FM) for many years, and boy was I surprised coming across the Cascades and hearing the Police ("Don't Stand So Close To Me") on that frequency. They ran automated and commercial free for six months, generating a fair amount of buzz before finally going live in the summer of 1981. All through the 80s, it was a pretty good adult leaning top 40 format.

Memories...

93 FM flipped to Top 40 my first year in college, over on the other side of the state. It had been a religious station (KBLE-FM) for many years, and boy was I surprised coming across the Cascades and hearing the Police ("Don't Stand So Close To Me") on that frequency. They ran automated and commercial free for six months, generating a fair amount of buzz before finally going live in the summer of 1981. All through the 80s, it was a pretty good adult leaning top 40 format.

Memories...

KBLE-FM played a lot of Southern Gospel. LOTS of fire and brimstone preachers. Essentially a simulcast or reshuffling of it's AM programming. It stuck out like a sore thumb on the Seattle FM dial, even by 1980 standards. They did automated country in the '60s and '70s before KMPS-FM signed on.

Attachments

• 1965-KBLE-Lonesome-Bob-185x300.jpg
    1965-KBLE-Lonesome-Bob-185x300.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 5
The calls aren't legendary, but the local connection (Foo Fighters) resonates with Seattle people. At least the ones that tune to the station....
Oh I know. They're unique (and I love that about 'em, believe me I do), but not legendary. (At least not yet.) And I have a feeling they'll come back to the market very soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom