• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KLVL 1480

KLVL 1480 is now 60's and 70's oldies music.
So, whoever had been leasing time on KYND AM 1520 and jumped ship 2 months ago to KLVL AM 1480 has now jumped ship to where, if anyone cares. And how do these folks not incur some large penalty for breaking leases? I was listening to KLVL around 3pm today expecting the usual stuff that used to be on KYND, and heard 60-70s oldies and an announcement about how "KLVL Pasadena-Houston" has "got you covered" in Galveston, Friendswood, etc. When the Jackson 5's "Puppy Love" came on, I had to tune elsewhere and was sorry to hear the same repetitive message about how great it might be to lease time on KYND, which does have a great signal these days. Maybe Bill Turner and others can enlighten us on how broadcast leasing works, or maybe doesn't work at times and what recourse the station has against lessees to jump ship.

Here's how things generally go: you have a friend in the business or you have a broadcast broker involved that at least gives you the introduction. The folks looking consider it a weakness to be in need of a station. For a station to say they need a client is seen as a weakness. Thus, it is sort of taboo for either side to say they need a station or the station to say they need a client.

You can bet the broker has vetted the potential client nicely so you have a well backed and knowledgeable broadcaster. With a friend introduction you have to ask questions to determine if they have the backing and knowledge to pull it off. A few questions and typically under 2 minutes will give you a clue. If they tell you Gallery Furniture will jump for joy to be on their programming, I know I have someone that does not have a clue.

Then you talk price. If they balk, they don't have the backing. If they say they want a break to get them going (ie: reduced rate) then you have a typical potential client. You work out the rates, generally over 5 years. Sometimes you are asked for a basic contract that spells out details of what each side is required to do and how certain situations get handled (ie: if the power goes out in a storm, we credit you for the time missed based on rate divided by broadcast hours per month and rounded to the nearest hour, not by the amount of the dollar value of the commercials scheduled to air, for example).

Once you come to terms, you sign a contract. Depending on what the two parties agree on dictates how a client can bail out of a contract. Sometimes it is with 90 days notice. Sometimes it is at the annual anniversary of the contract with 90 days notice. I require first and last month in advance when contract is signed. I figure if they can't do that they never had the money to start will and will never be able to make that 2nd payment. Rule of thumb, the client always gets all the breaks and the station is left hanging. That's just the nature of the business.

You get 99 tire kickers for every serious candidate. A sizzling hot lead today can be encased in ice tomorrow. You will get used to get a client a better deal at another station (ie: send me a contract, then a "you know what, we're signing with this station, not you"). People will ask astounding things like "Can you let me on the air 3 months free so I can get the sales to start paying you?" Every tire kicker gets you closer to a real client, so you play the game. You just try to educate a little very gingerly.

When somebody bails on you they always claim they're broke, exactly what our last client said as they high tailed it to another station. You could sue them and certainly we have been damaged (zero income and all the usual bills). Mostly you just put your energy toward finding the next client because regardless of what the public thinks, you aren't rolling in money and have only so long before it runs out because putting your energies elsewhere usually takes more time than you have and even then there's no guarantee you'll get another cent. Clients know this.

People are shocked I'm, running the same 90 second loop over and over. I keep getting told nobody listens to that and I'm hurting the station. Plainly put, we are no different from a vacant building for rent. I could care less who I get for a tenant as long as they can pay the rent. The only way a potential client knows they can lease us is by airing that announcement. Playing oldies 30 minutes and running the spot means that the 30 minutes everyone that finds KYND does not know we are for lease. Instead they never know or figure somebody beat them to it. Maybe you have a rental house. How much sense does it make to only put the for rent sign out in the yard a day every month versus every day all day long? I think you'd say keeping the for rent sign in the yard every day is much better for finding a tenant. My 90 second loop is my for rent sign. Everybody that passes by the 1520 address on the radio dial knows I'm for rent. That's the point because when the savings we set aside are gone...

Meanwhile we are still looking. If you know of someone, please tell them to get in touch. We 'lease' meaning KYND has a manager that handles things, an engineer that keeps us on the air and owners that pay all the bills. The client only has to worry about their operation. In some arrangements you have to pay all that stuff we pay. Thus, all we charge for is the airtime. At some stations there is nobody watching things. In other words, they're doing some other job but they're the contact person if you have a problem and sometimes solving that issue is on your dime. I offer something else: with almost 40 years in radio ranging from on air, programming, sales and management I will try to help a client with ideas and advice if they want it (most don't ever ask, however).

Rule of thumb: the client raves about the exceptional signal until the contract is signed, then complains about how lousy the signal is to try to get a rate deduction. I have only had one client out of hundreds of time buyers that didn't do this. Again, just the nature of the game!

By the way, it's pretty cool working with a client. Usually it is pretty inspiring and pretty tight-knit where you get to work for their success from the sidelines. You get to see what they do and how they do it from an insider's point of view.

KYND does in fact have a great 25KW signal. Lease it, PROMOTE it and it can grow and be successful. Promote it means getting more visibility that just Facebook. Simple easy to read clever billboards can be helpful. A lot of time is spent on Houston freeways and KYND covers all of them easily. Of course, there are other ways, but in order to make some money, you have spend some money. You can't just turn it on and expect immediate results. It's not going to happen.

I was listening to KLVL around 3pm today expecting the usual stuff that used to be on KYND, and heard 60-70s oldies and an announcement about how "KLVL Pasadena-Houston" has "got you covered" in Galveston, Friendswood, etc.

Gabriel Arango's a nice guy go work with him if you don't like what's heard.

So, whoever had been leasing time on KYND AM 1520 and jumped ship 2 months ago to KLVL AM 1480 has now jumped ship to where, if anyone cares. And how do these folks not incur some large penalty for breaking leases? I was listening to KLVL around 3pm today expecting the usual stuff that used to be on KYND, and heard 60-70s oldies and an announcement about how "KLVL Pasadena-Houston" has "got you covered" in Galveston, Friendswood, etc. When the Jackson 5's "Puppy Love" came on, I had to tune elsewhere and was sorry to hear the same repetitive message about how great it might be to lease time on KYND, which does have a great signal these days. Maybe Bill Turner and others can enlighten us on how broadcast leasing works, or maybe doesn't work at times and what recourse the station has against lessees to jump ship.

Wow! Synergy Broadcasting must be having money issues. THey just switched from KYND just a few months ago. It looks like they are still webcasting from the looks of their website. Never really heard any commercials, don't know how they were financed or managed to even get on the air.

Gabriel Arango's a nice guy go work with him if you don't like what's heard.

Anyhuman: You're acting like what I said was negative, please re-read below, there's not a negative word or implication in my statement, it's just what I heard that day, period.
Quote Originally Posted by ThatVoice22:
I was listening to KLVL around 3pm today expecting the usual stuff that used to be on KYND, and heard 60-70s oldies and an announcement about how "KLVL Pasadena-Houston" has "got you covered" in Galveston, Friendswood, etc.

Thank you, Bill Turner, for the detailed explanation of the ups-downs-ins-outs of the radio leasing business. KYND has an excellent signal and I hope you find a reliable leasing partner soon.

KLVL

This is the portion of your post that AnyHuman was referencing.

Guys, All you are listen to is the computer from KGBC cloned on KLVL. There is no programing at all it is just a bunch of bad quality MP3's recorded from line in years ago on a sound card and sounds very bad. After Hurricane Harvey many people that were doing LMA's Renting ect radio stations jumped ship. I know of 5 radio stations running crappy laptops from there transmitters ect and do not care. There are 5 radio stations I no of in Houston for sale or lease that you can get and pretty good prices right now. Have a good holiday. Dade Moore.

Guys, All you are listen to is the computer from KGBC cloned on KLVL. There is no programing at all it is just a bunch of bad quality MP3's recorded from line in years ago on a sound card and sounds very bad. After Hurricane Harvey many people that were doing LMA's Renting ect radio stations jumped ship. I know of 5 radio stations running crappy laptops from there transmitters ect and do not care. There are 5 radio stations I no of in Houston for sale or lease that you can get and pretty good prices right now. Have a good holiday. Dade Moore.

Uh-huh, Dade, and yet there it is currently broadcasting the best programming that has been on KLVL since 1997 when Angeline Morales passed away.

This is the portion of your post that AnyHuman was referencing.
= "When the Jackson 5's "Puppy Love" came on, I had to tune elsewhere."

Sorry, Subdude, wrong again - AnyHuman didn't quote that as the reason for responding. It might be well to read more carefully and not invent other commenter's intentions. My statement still applies, it seems silly for any professional broadcaster in 2017 to air the Jackson 5's "Puppy Love" - when they're trying to attract new business. Bill Turner and AM 1520 KYND have the right approach.

My statement still applies, it seems silly for any professional broadcaster in 2017 to air the Jackson 5's "Puppy Love" - when they're trying to attract new business. Bill Turner and AM 1520 KYND have the right approach.
Do they though? Because at last check, both stations still don't have any buyers.

BamaTX, you just don't get it. I have the for rent sign out at KYND...KLVL is playing oldies. So, for the person who happens to tune to either station, which station says 'hey, you can lease us'? The station playing oldies or the station that is asking for you to call about leasing?

BamaTX, you just don't get it. I have the for rent sign out at KYND...KLVL is playing oldies. So, for the person who happens to tune to either station, which station says 'hey, you can lease us'? The station playing oldies or the station that is asking for you to call about leasing?

Not to sound like a dick, but both methods aren't working...which is my point. If it did work, then you wouldn't have the ad on continuous loop for weeks now.

Maybe it's time to undercut the competition?

You don't get what is involved in getting a client on such a contract. Most of these deals take a couple of months to work out. No matter, nothing is finished until you sign on the dotted line and the bank transfer is made. There's a lot to it. Working several leads, some going on 3 months now.

By the way, undercutting doesn't work...each station has different coverage and different costs of operation. Nobody is going to take a deal to lose money. One station that leases does so at about $10,000 below my monthly cost of operation. There are others much more expensive than me because their costs are greater. Keep in mind there are very few people qualified to lease a station, say for 5 years with the cash on hand to put up a deposit and pay the first month in advance. Finding them is the tough part. Most are not out there says they are seeking a station because that puts them in a weak negotiating position in their mind. And you want somebody with a track record you can learn about.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom