• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will AMP become ALT?

CaliRadioFan

Leading Participant
Radio Insight is reporting Entercom may have parked an 'Alt1037.com' domain in Dallas, and may be looking to either flip or re-brand AMP Radio in other markets as that brand continues to struggle against other CHR stations in each market.

Last edited:
Radio Insight is reporting Entercom may have parked an 'Alt1037.com' domain in Dallas, and may be looking to either flip or re-brand AMP Radio in other markets as that brand continues to struggle against other CHR stations in each market.
Possible. They've barely gained any traction since the flip to whatever definition of CHR they want to call themselves.

Last edited:
of all the stations of the soon to become Entercom cluster, it has to be KVIL aka Amp 103.7.

is the station not doing so hot in the ratings since going Top 40 and the fact Kiss FM is established in the market as "The top 40" station in this market.

plus, if this station does flip to Alternative Rock, then i guess that would mean The Eagle gets competition or can go back to the version of the station's format they had before KDGE flipped from Alternative to whatever format it seems to be now.

The fact a once proud & extremely successful station such as KVIL is considering a flip to a perennially underachieving format such as Alternative speaks volumes.

KVIL used to be a top 10 biller every single year...often top 5 or top 6 if I remember correctly.

CBS screwed up royally by going CHR/Pop. However, I think Alternative may prove to be an even worse move, if attempted!

The fact a once proud & extremely successful station such as KVIL is considering a flip to a perennially underachieving format such as Alternative speaks volumes.!

Entercom seems to love rock and alternative. They have lived with the dismal results of their alt station in Miami for several years now, despite the market's obvious rejection of that format.

Indeed, 104.3 The Flounder in Miami came to mind. :) So does the disaster known as Go 96.3 in the Twin Cities (non-Entercom).

The format generally only fares well in west coast cities and progressive cities with plenty of white millennials, such as Denver and Austin.
Didn't the Kansas City station have billing issues for a long time?

Today's alternative stations texture wise sound a lot like the new wave & alt stations of the 80's. Grunge and energetic music fueled the format's success in the 90's. Hearing Twenty One Pilots and Imagine Dragons gets very, very tiresome after a while. Most other artists on the chart are likely "one & done" from an album standpoint. So many artists in that format who appear on the charts one minute fade into oblivion 18 to 24 months later.

Last edited:
You forgot Philadelphia, where alternative, WRFF Radio 1045, has rated over a 4.0 every book since their birth over 10 years ago...this surly proves alternative is not a dead format like some people would have you think...if done correct and embraced, instead of Madison Avenue suppressing, ignoring and debunking it for other useless formats.

Last edited:
You forgot Philadelphia, where alternative, WRFF Radio 1045, has rated over a 4.0 every book since their birth over 10 years ago...this surly proves alternative is not a dead format like some people would have you think....

But, as has been posted here and elsewhere repeatedly, advertisers don't think much of the alternative audience, no matter how big it is, and stations running the format struggle to attract business. The advertisers that do buy alternative won't pay as much for the time because the conventional wisdom is that the typical alt fan doesn't earn enough and is too cynical about advertising (and life in general) to be easily persuaded to buy anything as the result of hearing an ad on the radio.

It's either 103.7 or possibly even 107.5 since Entercom doesn't own any Spanish stations. Entercom, however, has a great lineup of alternative stations (i.e Kansas City, Portland, Buffalo, Sacramento, etc.) so I can see one of those stations flip to "Alt."

I 'm surprised KLIF hasn't signed off for alternative, but I guess Cumulus doesn't wanna go back to rock after 93.3 has been through AAA (twice), Alt-40, and Classic Rock.

Entercom just announced the PD of KMVK would be the corporate PD of Spanish-language programming. That would imply 107.5 isn’t going anywhere.

Seems odd to me that KDGE and KVIL could essentially end up swapping places on the dial in a year's time, but these are strange times.

Entercom just announced the PD of KMVK would be the corporate PD of Spanish-language programming.

He was already CBS' head of Spanish language programming. This is just a preservation of the status quo.

I would've expected Entercom to flip La Grande 107.5, but due to Jimmy Gonzalez being announced as Entercom's Spanish language format captain, it doesn't look like La Grande will be flipping formats after all.

I would've expected Entercom to flip La Grande 107.5, but due to Jimmy Gonzalez being announced as Entercom's Spanish language format captain, it doesn't look like La Grande will be flipping formats after all.
And there's no reason to. Despite their ratings in the meaningless 6+, they're getting some share of the Hispanic market. That's an audience you can't afford to ignore.

While 107.5 is an inferior general market signal, it is the second best Spanish language signal. Good match of signal and format.

While 107.5 is an inferior general market signal, it is the second best Spanish language signal. Good match of signal and format.

I would've thought of Entercom bringing KRLD and possibly their other all-news AM stations to the FM dial if they want to reach out to younger demographics.

Since the domain alt1037.com points to iHeart's Alt 104.9 in St. Louis, I would think that iHeart might be planning to swap the format with the 103.7 translator they have there. The current format, urban AC Majic 103.7, looks like it's doing pretty well for a translator. So, they might get an upgrade to 104.9. As much as I'd love to see Entercom launch an alternative station in DFW, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Since the domain alt1037.com points to iHeart's Alt 104.9 in St. Louis, I would think that iHeart might be planning to swap the format with the 103.7 translator they have there. The current format, urban AC Majic 103.7, looks like it's doing pretty well for a translator. So, they might get an upgrade to 104.9. As much as I'd love to see Entercom launch an alternative station in DFW, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Moving Majic to 104.9 seems to be the most likely scenario, and it would actually return the format to that frequency for the first time since 104.9 flipped to Wild in 2012. If that does happen, iHeartMedia could move the KMJM calls back to 104.9 and then move KLLT calls to 100.3.

now that it has happened, i can say it now, Alt Rock is back in Dallas and The Eagle can finally go back to what they do best, play Hard Rock, Classic Rock hits and some Metal hits from Metal acts like Metallica, Megadeth and a few other Metal acts that they play on The Eagle pre-death of 102.1 The Edge.

as for Alt 103.7, hope it works out fine and also it's gonna be weird to heard Alt Rock on KVIL, a station that had it's heyday as a Soft Rock station and had been associated with Ron Chapman

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom