• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 980

cyberdad

Administrator
Staff member
40 miles northwest of the home of the late, (not so) great Chicago Stags......

Days: 980 is usually empty. Sometimes a whiff of WCUB (Manitowoc, WI) on clear, cold, snow-covered winter days.

Nights: Usually WONE from Dayton, OH. Typically alone or nearly alone with a good signal. One of the better "regional" channel signals available around here.

Nulling WONE typically produces WITY from Danville, IL. 1kw from a location about 120 miles directly south of Chicago.

15-20 miles north of the late Chicago Cardinals and Chicago Packers, 980 during the day produces relatively little. Sometimes a weak WITY in the winter. At night WONE has always been in the mix. Waaaay back their Top 40 format was a good listen and some well known DJs came out of there.

Knoxvillle/Sevierville TN; Nothing days, especially with local powerhouse WNML on 990.
Night (and sometimes after sunrise): WONE is a frequent visitor.

Retro: When I lived in Dayton, OH, WONE was dominant but in nighttime nulls, other stations were possible and I've heard WYFN, Nashville.

Lafayette IN: Daytime was WITY, night WONE and a mix of other stuff.

South of Minnesota River suburbs (Minneapolis, MN)

daytime and nightime-KKMS Minneapolis (religious)

South of Minnesota River suburbs (Minneapolis, MN)

daytime and nightime-KKMS Minneapolis (religious)

In the 1980s, when I was traveling to the Twin Cities regularly, I used to stay along the 494 strip near the airport and what's now the Mall of America location. The local 980 (as WAYL) was the strongest signal at that location. 5kw right down the road, highly directional, with the same pattern 24/7 aimed right at my usual hotel.

Next strongest was WDGY 50/25kw from their old site in Burnsville, and also aimed right at me.

Daytime in Ottawa, CHRF in Montreal, with a strong signal. At night CHRF mixes with WTEM and some others. Depending on conditions one or the other is the more dominant station.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio ...
* Daytime: A decent WONE from about 80 miles WSW. Not a great signal here on the east side of town, but listenable. Considerably better on the other side of the metro area.
* Nighttime: WONE might sneak through, but if it does it's quite weak. Like the other big Dayton AMs, they send almost no signal toward Columbus at night (like Cincinnati, we just happen to be in a location that is within all of their nulls). I have heard D.C.'s 980 very weakly here as well. I was driving up 71 between Cincinnati and Columbus one Saturday night a few weeks ago and WONE was nowhere to be found that I heard, nor was WHIO. WING came in and allowed me to listen to the MLB playoffs.
60 miles north of Dayton around St. Marys, Ohio, WONE is decently strong at all hours. At night, it's in the same general lobe that helps the signal be heard up around Chicago.

Daytime: hints of WPRE, Prairie du Chien, WI, but usually not a listenable signal.

Nighttime: WONE Dayton, WITY Danville, IL are both fairly regular. I think I have picked up CFPL London, ON from home but not sure. It might have been from somewhere on the road at night, but I think it was from home because I was hoping it was the 980 from Vancouver. Ditto CJME Regina, SK. (I need to write down my catches more consistently.) Strangely enough, I don't recall hearing KMBZ Kansas City from home at night.

Yakima WA
A local is on 980, KTCR Selah (ESPN Deportes). It used to run Classic Country as 'The Tractor,' and before that had news/talk 'K-USA' and country as KUTI.
The null at night is straight east, and usually there's a jumble of stuff in there. CJME Regina SK (News/Talk) is the most common with CKNW New Westminster, BC (News/Talk) probably 2nd-most common. KDSJ Deadwood, SD (Full-Service) is rare but they have been heard at night. Even more rarely is KSPZ Ammon, ID (ESPN), whenever they forget to turn off day power.
On the westside (haven't heard them here due to the local); I've also heard KVLV Fallon, NV (Country); KWSW Eureka, CA (News/Talk when I heard them in 2013, now Soft AC/Standards); and KFWB Los Angeles (formerly all-news, now Regional Mexican).

WANTED...
I would put KEYQ Fresno and KDBV Salinas (both SS Rel.) on this list, but I've got the local on this channel. So my wanted list consists of KSVC Richfield, UT and KGLN Glenwood Springs, CO, both news/talk. They are probably possible in the eastern null even though they beam towards the SE. I need an external phaser!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom