• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sites and streaming platforms after the big switch

raccoonradio

Walk of Fame Participant
Someone on twitter wondered where 98.5 could be heard streaming after they change ownership. They are on radio dot com (will that continue?) which is CBS and I said I think they are already on TuneIn other than Pats games etc (unless you have the big paid version). With the various ownership changes, site URLs and streaming may well change

WRKO, WBZ, WZLX, WKAF

May well wind up on iHeart platform and maybe URLs like wrko.iheart.com etc. WRKO dot com may continue, who knows,
but WBZ's site will probably just lead you to ch 4. It's possible some or all iHeart station are only on that platform and not TuneIn. Went to a NH Fisher Cats game and wanted to hear the game on stream--WGIR wasn't on TuneIn. It was on iHeart.

WBZ-FM
Going to Beasley. Right now 985thesportshub dot com leads to the general WBZ site

WKOX
To be sold off. On Iheart now I'd think

WMJX
Going to Entercom...no changes on stream or site?

WODS, WBMX
Going to Entercom...streaming changes? Site URL changes...

Ah, yes; and @bostonradio reminded me the iHeart app already has the local Beasley stations (106.7 to Entercom) and he'd expect them to add 98.5

Radio.com is being transferred to Entercom as part of the merger. I haven’t heard if Entercom intends to continue using the domain as a streaming platform, but some of the app's new features and Entercom's recent investments in podcasting seem to hint that it will. After all, it will need some place to put all that material.

Entercom already has a good relationship with TuneIn, and CBS does, too. I'd expect that to continue, though there’s always the possibility that Entercom could want more control over its content once it becomes bigger.

As has already been mentioned, Beasley has deals with both TuneIn and iHeartRadio. It also has an app of its own called iRadioNow, though I haven’t used it in several years and can’t speak to how frequently it gets updated.

As far as URL's go, Entercom is all in with Abacast as their streaming provider, so it's just a matter of time before the 'stream the world' (Triton Digital) links become inactive. IHeart uses their own icecast based servers to stream, so that's where their New stations are headed streaming wise.

The bigger picture is what will become of the cbslocal domain, which becomes largely obsolete once radio is removed. I believe that the radio and TV stations kept their previous domain names, so they could likely go back to them.

via twitter:
Rob Hart of WBBM Chicago:
>Anchoring middays tomorrow (today) on WBBM. It will be my last shift as an employee of CBS Radio. First anchor shift as an Entercom employee starts Friday morning at 10:00.

@bostonradio
>After a 90-year run, CBS Radio brand will officially cease to exist at 11:59pm tonight when CBS Radio shareholders will complete their CBS stock exchange for Entercom shares.
>>Five CBS Radio stations in Boston will have brand new owners at midnight tonight - NewsRadio 1030 and WZLX 100.7(Iheart Media), 98.5 The Sports Hub(Beasley), Amp Radio 103.3 and Mix 104.1(Entercom).
>>>Three others will also change hands - WRKO 680 and WKAF 97.7 from Entercom to Iheart; Magic 106.7 from Beasley to Entercom.

I note that Jeff Katz worked for Entercom on WRKO (was awhile ago but pretty sure it was Entercom). He wound up at WXKS 1200 "Rush Radio" for iHeart, then that got blown up eventually for the Bloomberg brokered time. Now he's at iHeart's WRVA in Richmond...but he will wind up back at Entercom as that should be their property as part of the big switch.

Thought I read RKO wouldn't go to iHeart till KOX got put into a trust or sold; well I think it's in the trust (Ocean States)
or soon will be, with a sale coming eventually (have to shed as iHR would be one over the 8 station limit otherwise)

Feinburg filled in for Howie Carr for a couple months during his 07 contract dispute.He did a weekend show on RKO and other New England stations and I believe Todd was Tom Finneran's cohost on RKO mornings for awhile.
@bostonradio says while the LMA will start tomorrow and some staff changes may or may not be made, he hears Rush won't come to RKO, if he does, till early 2018.He adds iHR filed for approval of ownership on Tue and that's expected by January.

Via @bostonradio:
Sports Hub will stay at 83 Leo Birmingham for awhile. WBZ AM may move to old Kiss 108 digs on Revere Beach Pkwy Medford but not for several months.
WBMX and WODS may go to Guest St (Entercom) by end of this month

Via @bostonradio:
Sports Hub will stay at 83 Leo Birmingham for awhile. WBZ AM may move to old Kiss 108 digs on Revere Beach Pkwy Medford but not for several months.
WBMX and WODS may go to Guest St (Entercom) by end of this month
So who will end up staying on Birmingham once this is all completed? Nobody?

Maybe..WZLX is also in that bldg and could go to Cabot Rd or Revere Beach Parkway...Sports Hub to Beasley bldg, the other 2 to Guest St.

MJX to Guest St too.They are losing RKO and KAF

via twitter:
Rob Hart of WBBM Chicago:
>Anchoring middays tomorrow (today) on WBBM. It will be my last shift as an employee of CBS Radio. First anchor shift as an Entercom employee starts Friday morning at 10:00.

@bostonradio
>After a 90-year run, CBS Radio brand will officially cease to exist at 11:59pm tonight when CBS Radio shareholders will complete their CBS stock exchange for Entercom shares.
>>Five CBS Radio stations in Boston will have brand new owners at midnight tonight - NewsRadio 1030 and WZLX 100.7(Iheart Media), 98.5 The Sports Hub(Beasley), Amp Radio 103.3 and Mix 104.1(Entercom).
>>>Three others will also change hands - WRKO 680 and WKAF 97.7 from Entercom to Iheart; Magic 106.7 from Beasley to Entercom.

I note that Jeff Katz worked for Entercom on WRKO (was awhile ago but pretty sure it was Entercom). He wound up at WXKS 1200 "Rush Radio" for iHeart, then that got blown up eventually for the Bloomberg brokered time. Now he's at iHeart's WRVA in Richmond...but he will wind up back at Entercom as that should be their property as part of the big switch.

Thought I read RKO wouldn't go to iHeart till KOX got put into a trust or sold; well I think it's in the trust (Ocean States)
or soon will be, with a sale coming eventually (have to shed as iHR would be one over the 8 station limit otherwise)

I WISH - as if that means anything to the hard-nosed types on these forums - that WBZ would be delayed (indefinitely) in going to iHeart (or at least until WKOX was put into a trust or sold outright). :mad:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom