• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Integration is coming

R

Radio Discussions

The trade newsletters just announced,

"Cox Media Group will integrate its radio, TV, newspaper and digital properties in Atlanta under common leadership starting in 2018."

Changes in the FCC rules, such as the main studio rule, and future changes such as the likelihood of a cross-ownership relaxation allowing TV and Newspapers to buy radio properties, may make more "Superclusters" of print, TV, radio and digital hubs possible and profitable.

Some owners can do this today with existing properties. Where would there seem to be additional opportunities to put together such multi-media combos?

And, more important, will this benefit the listener, viewer and reader? Or not...

My understanding is that this pertains to the Atlanta market properties only. Much like what CMG did with their Dayton properties a few years back. Perhaps I'm misreading (wouldn't be the first time) but the way the OP is written (mentioning main studio rules, etc) suggests a mistaken belief that all CMG properties will be operating from Atlanta.

My understanding is that this pertains to the Atlanta market properties only. Much like what CMG did with their Dayton properties a few years back. Perhaps I'm misreading (wouldn't be the first time) but the way the OP is written (mentioning main studio rules, etc) suggests a mistaken belief that all CMG properties will be operating from Atlanta.

I see the apportunity opening for many “superclusters” of TV with radio and print in the future, including total market ad packages. That is irrespective of where the studios are... it’s a marketing cluster idea.

Long overdue. When this was allowed prior to 1975, these were among the absolute best groups in broadcasting.

At least 30 years ago and one of the better owners of the 80s had us working on a team building project at their flagship station. Brainstorming ideas on cost savings, combining resources, and all the usual etc. Our proposal included a simple idea of combining commercial and imaging production for the radio station group from a central midwest location. Presenting it and most of the staff on competing teams laughed at the idea but ownership and management saw something and awarded us the prize in part for the production hub idea. Technology wasn't at a point where we could overcome the financial obstacle of distribution anyway other than overnight Fed-Ex. It's all so simple now.

At least 30 years ago and one of the better owners of the 80s had us working on a team building project at their flagship station. Brainstorming ideas on cost savings, combining resources, and all the usual etc. Our proposal included a simple idea of combining commercial and imaging production for the radio station group from a central midwest location. Presenting it and most of the staff on competing teams laughed at the idea but ownership and management saw something and awarded us the prize in part for the production hub idea. Technology wasn't at a point where we could overcome the financial obstacle of distribution anyway other than overnight Fed-Ex. It's all so simple now.

A lot of radio involves re-inventing the wheel hundreds of times over in hundreds of markets. Oddly, localism was radio's reaction to the death of network radio in the 50's, but the idea needs considerable revision today.

I see the apportunity opening for many “superclusters” of TV with radio and print in the future, including total market ad packages. That is irrespective of where the studios are... it’s a marketing cluster idea.

How many companies are still in both TV and Radio? With CBS divesting their radio business to Entercom, Cox is the only major player left in both broadcast mediums.

They are very likely to follow Tegna with splitting their business along broadcasting and print lines. The broadcast spinoff is going to aggressively find-and-acquire a sister TV station for their radio clusters in markets that lack a cross-medium presence.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom