• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Prisoners rejoice - KCKY is back!

DrAkbar

Star Participant
Cortaro postponed and possibly dodged a bullet as the FCC reversed its decision on cancelling their license for failure to pay fines. 11~Fifty is back on the air simulcasting sister Spanish Bible thumper KASA 15~Forty. They ran a pretty loose ship down in Coolidge...got busted and fined a number of times..and finally the FCC had enough because fines weren't paid. But upon review, they agreed to reinstate the license during KCKY's renewal application if all fines and penalties are paid. They still have to gain approval of the license renewal. One of the arguments KCKY put forth in their appeal was the large Spanish speaking population at the Florence prison would be without their ministry. The commission didn't buy that, but the prisoners must be rejoicing. Dunno about pilots of small aircraft in the vicinity of their towers - KCKY wasn't good about keeping those red flashing thingies on at night. YIKES!

I remember this station from when I was a youngster all alone out in the middle of a vacant field in Nowhere, AZ.

Isn't that the station where Lee Hazelwood once worked?

Waylon Jennings, too...plus Duane Eddy played on the station. Home of the Chicago Cubs back in the day, and puts a pretty good signal into the SE portion of the Valley during the day. Darned shame what became of KCKY, but Nurse Jeff and I are still trying to figure out the meaning of Phaedra and Some Velvet Morning. That Hazelwood boy wrote some weird ass songs!

You'd think a licensee who got a second chance would double down on running KCKY legally. But, noooooooo....Cortaro has the station in full simulcast with KASA and fails to legally identify the Coolidge station each hour. Yup, KASA Phoenix, K294CW, Phoenix, but not a mention of KCKY, Coolidge. If it weren't for the fact the headlights on our Gremlin are shot, Nurse Jeff and I'd drive down there and see if those red flashing thingies are illuminating their sticks at night. Cortaro is lucky, but it appears it's back to business as usual.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom