• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Talent?

So I just heard this during a traffic report on KYW (which was for some reason being read by a meteorologist): "There was also rolls of insulation that was in the center lane." Oy.

Justin Drabek (sp?) has been doing traffic for a number of months. Not sure why it matters that he’s a meteorologist, if it was him. Reading fast, off the cuff, sometimes things get a bit mangled. It happens. Not really a reflection on talent.

I'm not saying he can't make a mistake. It was just so glaring. BTW: From what I've seen about Justin, he's a really nice guy. My post was intended to say that I feel bad for talent these days. If I were hired as a meteorologist, I would not be happy about being told to do traffic reports. But these days in the industry, I suppose one is lucky to have a job at all. :(

I'm not saying he can't make a mistake. It was just so glaring. BTW: From what I've seen about Justin, he's a really nice guy. My post was intended to say that I feel bad for talent these days. If I were hired as a meteorologist, I would not be happy about being told to do traffic reports. But these days in the industry, I suppose one is lucky to have a job at all. :(

The "lucky to have a job" portion is correct for him. From what I've heard, his contract at CBS3 wasn't renewed, so he saw the opportunity at KYW and jumped at it. It's a no brainer for KYW to bring him on board... as he already has a following/presence in Philly. Sure anyone can be rough around the edges and have bad days, but from what I've heard, he hasn't been bad at all!

I agree. I actually wish I could delete my OP because I see now that I wrote it too quickly and didn't add enough detail. It totally looks like I am throwing shade at that very nice man and that was definitely not my intention.

Internet-ing is hard.

I agree. I actually wish I could delete my OP because I see now that I wrote it too quickly and didn't add enough detail. It totally looks like I am throwing shade at that very nice man and that was definitely not my intention.

Internet-ing is hard.

No worries. It's always tough to portray tone in text. At least we have more than 140 (or 280 now) characters here!

The passing of Rod Carson and the above posts got me curious about who do people think are the nest and worst traffic reporters over the years. Rod was one of the best from his days with the Arco Go Patrol into Silver Shadow on up. Still trying to forget when they jumped on the CB trend and started calling the Tacony-Palmyra the "Double nickel bridge." Thankfully the trend didn't last too long.

When I say opinions I mean honest opinions. No snark allowed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom