• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Too much Christmas music is bad for your mental health

Certainly it's bad for MY mental health.
After extended stretches in retail jobs it gives me Vietnam-style flashbacks!
Really can't tolerate it at all except perhaps the week of.

And how about those of us who were "forced" to play it for many years in a row, over and over, day after day, hour after hour? Can we file an "injury on the job" claim?

Facetious, of course. But not really. I have been totally turned off to Christmas music because of my AC radio experience. Any other Christmas jocks feel this way?

Yeah, only had to work in retail for one season at Christmas to notice the repetition in Christmas music (at Wal-Mart for me). Hearing Christmas music just the week of Christmas would likely be enough for me, as well.
And how about those of us who were "forced" to play it for many years in a row, over and over, day after day, hour after hour? Can we file an "injury on the job" claim?
Facetious, of course. But not really. I have been totally turned off to Christmas music because of my AC radio experience. Any other Christmas jocks feel this way?
Fortunately for me, I only worked for small stations, and back then, none of us went wall-to-wall with it until the week of Christmas. And we had a big enough selection, and could play whatever we had, so dj fatigue was limited. And because of turnover at these stations, it would usually be a completely new staff playing these tunes every year.

The tunes that played on a loop, over and over for hours, that particularly drove me nuts:

Christmas in Killarney by Bing Crosby
I'll Be Home With Bells On by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton
Twelve Days of Christmas by The Muppets
Toyland by some Ray Coniff-y sounding vocal chorale
Santa Baby by just about anybody

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom