• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Caroline Beasley plans no changes at 98.5

Looks like WBZ-FM staffers can relax unlike their brethren on the AM side

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-team-field/gM3hiEQW1wvOyWXLBJULbO/story.html

When CEO Caroline Beasley buys a radio station, she isn’t just acquiring a studio or a spot on the dial. There’s also the team of people behind the microphones.Beasley Broadcast Group is gearing up for another big deal — for what will be the Florida company’s largest radio station. Within the next few months, Beasley will take over 98.5 The Sports Hub (WBZ-FM), the Boston sports station that ascended relatively quickly into Boston’s top five after CBS Radio launched it eight years ago.

Don’t mess with success. Beasley, in town Tuesday to meet with future employees, says she expects to keep the Sports Hub’s 75-plus person crew intact.

Looks like WBZ-FM staffers can relax unlike their brethren on the AM side

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-team-field/gM3hiEQW1wvOyWXLBJULbO/story.html

Guess this also means they'll keep the status quo as an affiliate of CBS Sports Radio as they currently are...I can't see them expanding local tallent for overnight and weekend/weekend overnight...plus I wouldn't be surprise an affiliate deal is part of the package. Although, I could see them expanding Adam Jones to midnight,cutting Farrell back to only two hours. ( or cut Adam at 10pm and clear all of Farrell's 4 hours)

Still the big question is where the overlapping games will air....

I prefer sports hub....I am not a fan of The Red Sox and prefer a more balanced coverage over on 98.5

Now I wonder if they will change the calls...you know WSHB or WBSH wouldn't be bad, if either is available. Sports Hub Boston/Boston Sports Hub...

Now I wonder if they will change the calls...you know WSHB or WBSH wouldn't be bad, if either is available. Sports Hub Boston/Boston Sports Hub...[/QUOTE]

Beasley does own the iconic call letters WBCN.

Beasley does own the iconic call letters WBCN.

98.5 WBZ-FM HD2 is "WBCN The Rock of Boston".

Not to be confused with the former "WBCN Free Form Rock" channel that had some live DJ's that used to be on 100.7 HD3, 98.5 HD2 is an automated continuation of the "modern alternative" rock format that was on 104.1 WBCN just before it was taken off the air in 2009.

98.5 HD3 is a rebroadcast of 1030 AM WBZ, I doubt that will continue after the stations will be under different owners.

98.5 WBZ-FM HD2 is "WBCN The Rock of Boston".

Not to be confused with the former "WBCN Free Form Rock" channel that had some live DJ's that used to be on 100.7 HD3, 98.5 HD2 is an automated continuation of the "modern alternative" rock format that was on 104.1 WBCN just before it was taken off the air in 2009.

98.5 HD3 is a rebroadcast of 1030 AM WBZ, I doubt that will continue after the stations will be under different owners.

Is that still true? I was driving a car with HD and couldn't find WBCN on the sub-channels for either 98.5 or 100.7.

A few BZ AM people also did work on 98.5. Mike Reilley who does weekend sports on BZ AM did fill in work on The Sports Hub and Adam Kaufman did a weekend show on the Sports Hub. I believe Kaufman already announced his 98.5 show has ended. BZ AM aired entertainment reports produced and hosted by AMP 103.3.

The question is will IHEART try and keep the relationship with the TV side. Will Gary Burbank continue to provide forecasts on the weekends and will they continue to air the packaged pieces produced by the TV reporters?

The question is will IHEART try and keep the relationship with the TV side. Will Gary Burbank continue to provide forecasts on the weekends and will they continue to air the packaged pieces produced by the TV reporters?

The contract between CBS and Entercom says the relationships with the TV will continue for at least a year after the sale. Don't know if that relationship conveys to iHeart.

The question is will IHEART try and keep the relationship with the TV side. Will Gary Burbank continue to provide forecasts on the weekends...?
Who is Gary? Is that Barry Burbankʼs long lost brother?? LOL! :D :D :D

The contract between CBS and Entercom says the relationships with the TV will continue for at least a year after the sale. Don't know if that relationship conveys to iHeart.

And herein lies what I consider an issue: CBS-Entercom had some nice arrangements for all the other (soon-to-be-former) CBS Radio news stations - WCBS, KYW, KDKA, WBBM, KMOX, KNX, KCBS - to maintain at least a dotted-line connection to their TV brethren. That COULD have also been the case for WBZ. iHeart is too much of an unknown for this particular situation.

iHeart is too much of an unknown for this particular situation.

How is it unknown? Just study what their news/talk stations do in other markets. Not a difficult thing to do.

Here's what I've learned: If a station can make money by co-promoting TV stations, they will do it. Most of the time, they can.

@bostonradio says WBZ-FM will go to Beasley studios in Dorchester in a couple months with TV studios set up there for NBCSportsBoston.In coming months we'll find not everybody is moving with their stations.

Opps. You are not familiar with the legendary broadcaster Gary Burbank. For over 25 years Gary was heard daily on WLW
No, not the name, anyway.
But I am familiar with his redneck geezer character, Earl Pitts (“Ya know what makes me siick? Ya know what makes me wanna....”), though I thought that was—originally, anyway—just a Trukin' Bozo skit.
So now, WAKE UP AMERICA! And just Pitts Off. :p

Barry wouldn't have happened to appropriate Gary's name, would he (as Gary did with a combination of Gary Owens and where Gary Owens broadcast from)?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom