• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1540 flipped to Spanish?

radiodx10

Leading Participant
Has anyone noticed? They're broadcasting Spanish religious stuff now. Or at least that is what I am hearing as of 11/7/17 at 2:55pm. Not a surprise that CRI wasn't working too well. They must be running maybe 5kW because their supposed 50kW should be lighting my radio on fire but it's not at all.

EDIT- At the TOH ID, in spanish I heard "Esta Es New World Radio 1540 WACA Washington, 1540 WNWR Philadelphia"

So I think they're simulcasting the 1540 out of Washington, DC? This is all very sudden and weird. I'll do more digging.

Last edited:
Because I doubt they're actually at 50kW at all. To save money, they almost certainly lowered their TX output. By the way, I am hearing a lot of ads for maryland and virginia, so they're definitely simulcasing WACA.

WNWR received a construction permit to operate with 250W at night. Their coverage is not going to be very good, however. With the low power, and with a VERY high interference free contour at night (11.52 mV/m) they are only going to be listenable in Roxboro, Bala Cynwyd, Manyunk, and other parts of NW Philly. Their signal won't even penetrate very well (if at all) into center city. I've been listening to them the past few days, and it sounds like they are testing the 250 watt pattern during the day. The signal is very weak, even here in Whitemarsh and Plymouth Meeting. They have two very deep nulls: one to the NW and the other to the West, which would explain why I have trouble hearing them just 3-4 miles west of their transmitter. Today, it sounds like they are back on 50KW.

By the way, in this case, the nighttime coverage map on radio-locator is a bit misleading. The red contour line shows the 2.5 mV/m contour, which is well beyond their 11.52 mV/m interference free night contour.

Have any of us figured out exactly what language and where the programming is coming from WNWR? It's not spanish now. It sounds arabic.

Considering the poor-ish signal and utter lack of care most people have about WNWR, not to mention all of AM, I am not surprised no one is missing CRI.

It seems the daytime CP throws a little more coverage into Cape May county, everything else is status quo, but why...?

Not to start any rumors, because this is purely guess work:
It could be possible that they are doing some upgrades in order to get it ready to be sold. There shouldn't be any changes to the day pattern (non were issued under the CP), but it's possible that as part of the project the station improved their current day facilities (pattern adjustment, transmitter component changes, etc). It definitely sounds like they've upgraded their audio processing, either with a new processor, or by dramatically adjusting their current unit.. This morning it was the best I've heard their audio in years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom