• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Manufacturers' models of dynamo hand crank AM-FM-HD radios?

Checked on Ebay and could not find any emergency crank radios with HD on them. Besides AM-FM some have weather band and/ or short wave.
But a possibly more important feature is a built in flashlight. There is a myriad of models out there at a myriad of prices. I'd avoid the really cheap ones as the spring may break after a couple of wind-ups. C. Crane has a couple of models and I think their product support is great. And I've heard that Eton makes some good ones too.

Or, you could get a battery-sipping AM-FM radio (like a GE Superadio or Sony ICF-38) and get a few extra sets of batteries and you'd be set for weeks, if not months....

:)

Good luck in your search. I almost bought a Bay-Gen wind up radio a long time ago... But didn't have the money handy to splurge on it.

I'm still waiting for one that has an AM-FM-HD-WX radio, all in one.

I'm still waiting for one that has an AM-FM-HD-WX radio, all in one.

HD is not too likely, as the DAC stage in such radios is a big power hog. That is why the few portables that came out were big flops... drained or killed batteries very rapidly.

Emergency crank radios need no batteries.

That's the whole idea of an emergency radio. I suppose those people in Puerto Rico wish they had one of them as they've been out of power for over a month.
The reason there is no HD emergency radios out there is because the manufacturers have figured out that HD radio is just a computer playing in a closet somewhere and not likely to have the latest in news and other information.
Another feature I have think is useful on an emergency radio is a USB jack. This would allow you to charge your cell phone from the crank radio and you could use your cell phone. Of course, that is assuming the cell sites are working.

HD would be a power sapper in emergency situations -- there is a Sangean HD-FM-AM portable available (the HDR-16), but I don't know how long a set of batteries lasts in it.

In emergencies, your best bet would be a portable AM-FM that has a rep for being easy on batteries. And a spare set of batteries (or two).

Crank radios were OK but I think you had to crank them every half hour or so, with so many turns cranking for every minute (if memory serves).

That's the whole idea of an emergency radio. I suppose those people in Puerto Rico wish they had one of them as they've been out of power for over a month.

Puerto Rico has (or had before the storm) the highest measured use of any Arbitron market. Puerto Ricans have plenty of radios and loads of portables (what else do you take to the beaches on an island with over 300 miles of beach and coastline?). And there are batteries available, as that is one of the first things large supplies of were made available.

The reason there is no HD emergency radios out there is because the manufacturers have figured out that HD radio is just a computer playing in a closet somewhere and not likely to have the latest in news and other information.

Manufacturers would have jumped at the chance to sell a new feature. But the battery killing nature of DACs is such that they were afraid of having lots of returns and not profit.

Another feature I have think is useful on an emergency radio is a USB jack. This would allow you to charge your cell phone from the crank radio and you could use your cell phone. Of course, that is assuming the cell sites are working.

The "Red Cross" sanctioned crank radio and its more expensive bluetooth brother both have USB phone chargers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom