• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Most "Rock" AC stations?

tall_guy1

Star Participant
These are AC stations which include a lot of rock/classic rock in their playlist outside of the typical AC product. I know we have talked about ones with more rhythmic product, but these include bands like Nirvana, AC/DC, Queen, Styx, Blue Oyster Cult, ect. One example, though more of a hybrid, is KKPK in Colorado Springs. Any other examples?

These are AC stations which include a lot of rock/classic rock in their playlist outside of the typical AC product. I know we have talked about ones with more rhythmic product, but these include bands like Nirvana, AC/DC, Queen, Styx, Blue Oyster Cult, ect. One example, though more of a hybrid, is KKPK in Colorado Springs. Any other examples?

I suppose there were some "rock/ac" stations back in the 80's and 90's. I would also suppose very few exist today. The two format descriptions tend to cancel each other out. This isn't to say that some AC's don't lean "rock", but even that is a stretch. Successful AC's today play hits that are generally non-offensive, and this certainly include some rock titles.

Some examples of rock tunes that get airplay on AC: (starting with older titles)

Boston "More Than A Feeling"
Journey "Lights", "Don't Stop Believing"
Eagles "Heartache Tonight" "Hotel California" (live 90's version)
REO Speedwagon "Keep On Lovin' You"
John Cougar "Jack & Diane"
Genesis "Invisible Touch" "Land of Confusion"
Billy Idol "Mony Mony" (live)
U2 "With Or Without You", "I Still Haven't Found"
Steve Winwood "Roll With It"
Aerosmith "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing"
Santana/Rob Thomas "Smooth"

All these titles fit on AC's today, as well as Classic Hits.

I don't believe AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, or Nirvana would ever be played on an AC no matter how "rock" they may be. That is "Classic Rock" pure and simple. However there may be a few rogue stations that play these artists mixed in with traditional AC titles. But this blurs into today's variety "we play what we want" formats (Jack, Bob, Charlie, etc.).

Last edited:
There was one in Castlegar, B.C. in the 80's. CKQR 760, listed as an AC station at the time, but at night, they were a hard rock/metal station.

I don't believe AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, or Nirvana would ever be played on an AC no matter how "rock" they may be. That is "Classic Rock" pure and simple. However there may be a few rogue stations that play these artists mixed in with traditional AC titles. But this blurs into today's variety "we play what we want" formats (Jack, Bob, Charlie, etc.).
Our AC (Mix 92.9 here in Nashville) carries Tom Kent on the weekends, and he, of course, plays some of these, but as far as regular rotation, no. But they play many of the ones that you mentioned above.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom