• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

History of Super Bowl day programming?

How have the networks done the Super Bowl day of programming over the years? CBS did a NBA game in 78(Pistons-Bulls) and i'm sure they did that for years when it was their turn for the big game. NBC did the same thing too when they had NBA rights on those years they had the Super Bowl. CBS used to have a golf event before the big game sometimes too. Does anyone remember if any other sports were shown on Super Bowl Sunday?

You're right, the Bull/Pistons game in 78 was followed by the Phoenix Open. but... the golf was called early due to cold weather, leaving the network with a big hole to fill before the Super Bowl. So they added more time to the pregame as a result.

You're right, the Bull/Pistons game in 78 was followed by the Phoenix Open. but... the golf was called early due to cold weather, leaving the network with a big hole to fill before the Super Bowl. So they added more time to the pregame as a result.

Yeah, a mean temperature of 57.7 and a high of 66 was considered rather Arctic for January in the VotS in that era [rolls eyes]. IIRC golf was rained, not colded, out that day.

FWIW, per https://www.almanac.com/weather/history/AZ/Phoenix/1978-01-15

FOR THE PHOENIX SKY HARBOR I AZ USA WEATHER STATION

TEMPERATURE

MINIMUM TEMPERATURE 48.0 °F

MEAN TEMPERATURE 57.7 °F

MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE 66.0 °F

PRESSURE AND DEW POINT

MEAN SEA LEVEL PRESSURE 29.84 IN

MEAN DEW POINT 50.4 °F

PRECIPITATION

TOTAL PRECIPITATION

Rain and/or melted snow reported during the day.
0.28 IN

Boldings are mine.

ixnay

1978 was also the first Prime-Time Super Bowl. "All In The Family" had the honor of being the first Post-Super Bowl entertainment show, and an episode entitled appropriately enough, 'Super Bowl Sunday'. From the beginning, the rival networks who didn't have the big game that year just scheduled reruns. Although, ABC did some interesting counter programming: A rerun of the 1974 movie, "Law And Disorder" starring....Carroll O' Connor! :)

1978 was also the first Prime-Time Super Bowl. "All In The Family" had the honor of being the first Post-Super Bowl entertainment show, and an episode entitled appropriately enough, 'Super Bowl Sunday'. From the beginning, the rival networks who didn't have the big game that year just scheduled reruns. Although, ABC did some interesting counter programming: A rerun of the 1974 movie, "Law And Disorder" starring....Carroll O' Connor! :)

Yes... Kickoff was just after 6:00p ET (5:00p in NoLa). And it was on the 11th anniversary of SB I.

ixnay

The AITF episode was taped after it became definite that Dallas and Denver would be in it--since a banner in the bar clearly indicates those two teams. A simple choice rather than try and trying to tape a show with a ridiculous number of possible matchups.

By contrast, 1979 saw I believe the last late afternoon Super Bowl (4pm Eastern start?) on NBC. The post SB show that year was the premiere of the long forgotten 'Animal House' inspired sitcom "Brothers and Sisters" starring Mary Crosby. It lasted 13 episodes, and hasn't been seen anywhere since that I know of. CBS and ABC went head to head that night with dueling Football films. "Black Sunday" on CBS, and "The Longest Yards" on ABC

By contrast, 1979 saw I believe the last late afternoon Super Bowl (4pm Eastern start?) on NBC. The post SB show that year was the premiere of the long forgotten 'Animal House' inspired sitcom "Brothers and Sisters" starring Mary Crosby. It lasted 13 episodes, and hasn't been seen anywhere since that I know of. CBS and ABC went head to head that night with dueling Football films. "Black Sunday" on CBS, and "The Longest Yards" on ABC

Thanks for that date. Of course 4pm EST is not primetime, but moving it forward a few hours over the years ensured that the game would be primetime, or almost, in all time zones, with the exception of Alaska and Hawaii.

CBS and ABC went head to head that night with dueling Football films. "Black Sunday" on CBS, and "The Longest Yards" on ABC

Super Bowl XII in January 1979 had Pittsburgh playing Dallas in Miami. Black Sunday had scenes that were filmed during Super Bowl X--with Pittsburgh and Dallas playing in Miami.

CBS had two regional NBA games before Super Bowl XIII; Philadelphia at Boston or Chicago at Cleveland, opposite NBC's pregame in 79. NBC aired college basketball before their pregame in 81 and 83.

Last edited:
I don't remember SB XIII being the last pre-6:00p ET kickoff SB where the venue was in the Eastern Time Zone.

Game XVI in Pontiac, XVIII in Tampa, and XXIII in Miami Gardens had 4:30 or 5:00 ET kickoffs as well IIRC.

For some reason, during this period, the *non*-ETZ SB's had a 6:00 ET kickoff.

Not until SB XXV in Tampa was there a 6:00p ET or later kickoff of a SB emanating from Eastern Time. And all the SBs have had a 6:00p ET or later kickoff ever since, whatever time zone they took place in.
Someone can look it up.

ixnay

I believe the reason that Super Bowl XXIII had a 4:30 or 5:00 ET kickoff was so that NBC could show the mini-series Brotherhood of the Rose(part 1). The second part aired the next night, in NBC's usual movie slot.

ABC wanted to premiere China Beach after Super Bowl XXII, but the affiliates were worried about a lengthy game, so they gave that slot to The Wonder Years instead. If the game had started at 5:00 or even 4:30, then it wouldn't have mattered how late China Beach started.(it would have meant moving the Kentucky vs Notre Dame college basketball game up to noon, or going with a 90 minute pregame.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom