• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What replaced "Car Talk" on your station?

vchimpanzee

Walk of Fame Participant
"Radiolab" on WFDD Winston-Salem NC.

I didn't check to see what replaced "Wait, Wait" but that show now airs an hour earlier on WFAE Charlotte NC.

I am told stations can still air the show but WFAE told us for several weeks that the show was ending the last week of October. But the people in charge of the show changed their minds and continued with "new" episodes.

My current home NPR station? WUFT still airs it on Saturdays at 10am.

My former home NPR station? WLRN has replaced it on Saturdays at 10am with The New Yorker Radio Hour.

Vermont Public Radio has replaced its weekly Saturday airing with "It's Been a Minute," Sam Sanders' conversation show, delayed by one day.

I heard a list of shows at noon today. Everything moved an hour earlier on Sundays and "BBC News Hour" moved to a slot late on Sunday afternoon. They said go to the web site for more, and it turns out the Saturday shows moved an hour earlier, with "The New Yorker Radio Hour" moving to one of the slots on Saturday afternoon.

I heard a list of shows at noon today. Everything moved an hour earlier on Sundays and "BBC News Hour" moved to a slot late on Sunday afternoon. They said go to the web site for more, and it turns out the Saturday shows moved an hour earlier, with "The New Yorker Radio Hour" moving to one of the slots on Saturday afternoon.

Which station are you talking about? It sounds like WFAE.

My local NPR 91.5 KJZZ Runs Marketplace Weekend in the Saturday 10-11am slot formally held by Car Talk

WFDD's "Radiolab" was terrible. Apparently others agree. "Ask Me Another" has replaced "Wait! Wait!" (which probably means they moved it an hour earlier) so now I have to listen to the repeat of "Wait! Wait!" on Sunday since I'm at the grocery during most of the show. And since WFDD doesn't have the show at 11, I turned the radio (not a clock radio) back to WFAE so I don't have to take a chance that I will mess up turning off the clock radio when I am on WFAE and the clock radio will come on in the morning, and I can start listening to the end of the show when I get home from the grocery.

During the fundraiser on WFAE I turned to WFDD. Instead of "Wait! Wait!" in the old "Car Talk" slot, there was some argument in a local government meeting between people with opposing political views. The narrator said the problem appeared about to escalate. I wasn't paying enough attention to know why this was preceded by the fact that a certain community was where "Saturday Night Fever" was filmed.

"Wait!" Wait!" podcasts are a week behind, so I have to wait to hear what I missed. Though the version used for the fundraiser had a funny story about how Richard Nixon ordered Earl Butz to make food cheap, resulting in phenomenal growth in the amount of corn produced, and making us all fat.

During the fundraiser on WFAE I turned to WFDD. Instead of "Wait! Wait!" in the old "Car Talk" slot, there was some argument in a local government meeting between people with opposing political views. The narrator said the problem appeared about to escalate. I wasn't paying enough attention to know why this was preceded by the fact that a certain community was where "Saturday Night Fever" was filmed.

"Wait!" Wait!" podcasts are a week behind, so I have to wait to hear what I missed. Though the version used for the fundraiser had a funny story about how Richard Nixon ordered Earl Butz to make food cheap, resulting in phenomenal growth in the amount of corn produced, and making us all fat.

The show with the local government meeting was a Radiolab episode from last fall. "Wait Wait" is online by the end of the weekend at the latest. Check the NPR One app, also.

The show with the local government meeting was a Radiolab episode from last fall. "Wait Wait" is online by the end of the weekend at the latest. Check the NPR One app, also.
I don't even know what that last part means. I'm listening to last week's "Wait, Wait" right now using the link I found on Wikipedia. However, WFAE was constantly interrupting its regular episode this morning for updates on the fundraiser. I was glad to hear what they did toward the end. Ira Glass actually called a newspaper his show subscribes to and asked the person who answered for ten subscriptions for the price of one. The girl was very professional and said she couldn't do that herself. The best she could do was half-price for new subscribers. Glass explained to her that he was trying to illustrate that while 90 percent of listeners never contributed, stations couldn't just cut their expenses by 90 percent.

I never realized this before. I figured so few stations would air "Car Talk" and "Wait! Wait!" twice a week that they would just tape the first show and air it 24 hours later. But this morning during the fund-raiser the man came on to say they had lost the satellite but were going to try to get "Wait! Wait!" back. So, is that how these shows have been airing on Sunday?

Yesterday they aired the normal episode, not the fund-raising episode. Today during the technical difficulties, they went to the third hour of "Weekend Edition" after playing smooth jazz for a while, and then finally "Wait! Wait!" came back, only I recognized it as the fund-raising episode that already aired. It started from the beginning. Now that one they MUST have recorded to air later.

I never realized this before. I figured so few stations would air "Car Talk" and "Wait! Wait!" twice a week that they would just tape the first show and air it 24 hours later.

A lot of NPR members have traditionally aired their popular weekend shows on both Saturday and Sunday. It was my understanding that this was in part a cost saving move: at least some programs permit re-runs at no extra charge.

Anyway, the real reason I replied was to point out this analysis of stations and their replacements for Car Talk. It seems many stations replaced it with "Planet Money" or "It's Been a Minute with Sam Sanders".
http://current.org/2018/02/car-talk-shuffle-opened-doors-for-new-programs-on-station-schedules/

A lot of NPR members have traditionally aired their popular weekend shows on both Saturday and Sunday. It was my understanding that this was in part a cost saving move: at least some programs permit re-runs at no extra charge.

Anyway, the real reason I replied was to point out this analysis of stations and their replacements for Car Talk. It seems many stations replaced it with "Planet Money" or "It's Been a Minute with Sam Sanders".
http://current.org/2018/02/car-talk-shuffle-opened-doors-for-new-programs-on-station-schedules/

The Planet Money/How I Built This combo or even Hidden Brain.

https://www.npr.org/programs/wait-wait-dont-tell-me/

This has the 3/17 show. It was probably posted Saturday afternoon.
I wish I had a way to listen in the car, but there would probably be a big expense involved. I used to listen to "Wait! Wait!" when I would take my hazardous waste to where they collect it once a year. I go after I go to the grocery. Now, "Ask Me Another" is on, now on both NPR stations I can pick up. I can't stand that show.

April 14 is the day, and I finally decided to dispose of my old computer, which they will also take along with my hazardous waste. I was told it would be more expensive to repair it than it would be to get a new computer. Given the cost of the computer I chose, that was true. And of course, Vista is risky to use so there would be the additional cost, if any, of upgrading Windows.

I suppose drain cleaner and toilet bowl cleaner containers can go in the regular trash. And there are other ways to dispose of CFL bulbs and batteries.

This morning, I'm Scott Simon and you're listening to Weekend Edition. Wait, Wait! No, I'm Bill Kurtis!

Someone must have pushed the wrong button. Actually, during breaks, there was a different person on WFAE. The regular host was live with the gun control protest. "Ask Me Another" would have gotten bumped for live protest coverage if it hadn't been moved, but it was a rerun anyway. And as soon as I learned that I turned it off. Mainly because I don't like the show.

I just listened to the podcast of "Car Talk". The guys said something about wasting satellite time. Ray speculated if they weren't there, Scott Simon would have to do another hour.

Are there even any stations airing Car Talk anymore? Because I don't hear it on NHPR anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom