• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas music vs. winter music

On the subject of religious themes, "Christmas Is A-Comin'" uses the words "God bless you" a lot.

Today is Christmas in some parts of the world, and tomorrow in other places.

And anything referring to the magi is legal through tomorrow. But I doubt any stations other than Christian stations would bother.

Today is Christmas in some parts of the world, and tomorrow in other places.

That time of year again......vchimp, have you heard "It's Christmastime, All Over the World" by Sammy Davis Jr.?

That time of year again......vchimp, have you heard "It's Christmastime, All Over the World" by Sammy Davis Jr.?

Hard to believe it is that time of the year again, WLIT in Chicago made their annual switch at 4:05 this past Thursday, so far I haven't heard any Christmas music yet

Hard to believe it is that time of the year again, WLIT in Chicago made their annual switch at 4:05 this past Thursday, so far I haven't heard any Christmas music yet

Yeah, many stations are going later this year, than last. That's a good thing.

WKIM 98.9 in Memphis started on Nov. 1, probably to get a head start on WRVR 104.5, who usually starts later in the month.

Expect for SiriusXM
Well, you're PAYING for that!

WKIM 98.9 in Memphis started on Nov. 1, probably to get a head start on WRVR 104.5, who usually starts later in the month.
Let me know if that makes any difference in the ratings in Memphis. 'RVR is usually the go-to station for Christmas music in the bluff city (regardless of when they start!) and I seriously doubt that any upstart (even if they start earlier) can make any difference there.

Let me know if that makes any difference in the ratings in Memphis. 'RVR is usually the go-to station for Christmas music in the bluff city (regardless of when they start!) and I seriously doubt that any upstart (even if they start earlier) can make any difference there.

Last year 98.9 changed to Christmas music because of stunting until the change after Christmas to AC, which would compete with WRVR. For this year I don't think it's because of changing formats again after Christmas, but I think they're trying to beat WRVR to the punch. But then who knows? They could change again after Christmas.

I am not myself
If you're a subscriber, you are!
Last year 98.9 changed to Christmas music because of stunting until the change after Christmas to AC, which would compete with WRVR. For this year I don't think it's because of changing formats again after Christmas, but I think they're trying to beat WRVR to the punch. But then who knows? They could change again after Christmas.
If they name-change to "Christmas 98.9" or something like that, it could be indicative of another format change. If they stick with the same imaging and branding that they have had all year, then they will likely revert back to standard AC once the holidays are over.

I learned that last year when our classic hits station at 93.3 went all-Christmas right before Thanksgiving. They stayed with their usual name and reverted back to regular format for the week between Christmas and New Year's. (Not sure if they are planning to do that again this year, but I'm hoping not, since we already have TWO perennial Christmas flippers here, and don't need any more!)

If you're a subscriber, you are!
If they name-change to "Christmas 98.9" or something like that, it could be indicative of another format change. If they stick with the same imaging and branding that they have had all year, then they will likely revert back to standard AC once the holidays are over.

They're still going by The Bridge or Christmas Bridge in their bumpers, so I'm guessing that they'll stay AC after Christmas.

They're still going by The Bridge or Christmas Bridge in their bumpers, so I'm guessing that they'll stay AC after Christmas.
Okay, thanks. Shows you how out of touch I am! I referred to them as KIM-FM in one of these threads! (although I can't find it now)

Meanwhile, here in Nashville, the FISH will probably tease out some Christmas tuneage tomorrow afternoon, if previous years are any indication. They usually bust out some Christmas tunes on the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

We have had some "Christmas-y" weather here this week, but fortunately no snow yet, just flurries. I understand that y'all down in the weststate had an inch or two of snow already this week! Keep it there! We don't want it here! At least not yet. (Cheatham Co., where I live, was on a two-hour delay yesterday. Can't imagine why, unless it was just out of precaution. Snow wasn't even predicted here!)

Okay, thanks. Shows you how out of touch I am! I referred to them as KIM-FM in one of these threads! (although I can't find it now)

They still have the call letters of WKIM.

We have had some "Christmas-y" weather here this week, but fortunately no snow yet, just flurries. I understand that y'all down in the weststate had an inch or two of snow already this week! Keep it there! We don't want it here! At least not yet. (Cheatham Co., where I live, was on a two-hour delay yesterday. Can't imagine why, unless it was just out of precaution. Snow wasn't even predicted here!)

In the Jackson area the snow mainly stuck to the ground but it wasn't too bad on the road. But some schools like Crockett County where I am let out anyway.

So far, according to radio-locator.com, they are the only station in TN currently all-Christmas. But that is about to change. The FISH here in Nashville announced this morning that they will go all-Christmas today at noon, less than half an hour away. So far, no changeover on Mix 92,9 (the usual go-to station for Christmas music) just yet. They will likely change over on Thanksgiving day, if not before.

K-104.7 in Charlotte was playing "Separate Ways" by Journey yesterday.

When I turned on iHeart's WMAG in Greensboro. NC they were playing a version of "Silent Night" that shouldn't air until the night before. It was nice, but we need fun songs now. The quiet dignified songs should be played on the holiday itself.

I have a Yule Log on my oldest TiVo. There's nothing quite like a big church organ and a big choir singing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing".

Hard to believe we are now in another season for Christmas music to being played on the radio, and this still is the most interesting topic every started. You have songs that have Christmas mentioned either in the title, lr song lyrics or both, and you have pones that there are no mention at all, which includes Frosty the Snowman, expect for the version that was made for the tv special.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom