• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kiss FM debuts in Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice

There is a sign with the call letters on the gate
I found it, "News Radio", and under that, it says either 1320/1450 or 1450/1320.
I didn't want to scrutinize it and have to explain to any passing police what I was doing there.
Nice how the straps fan out to the skirt antenna.
I wonder if they ever had an FM station antenna above that skirt.
An STL dish about 2/3 up and what looks like a much smaller dish just above the skirt.

I found it, "News Radio", and under that, it says either 1320/1450 or 1450/1320.
I didn't want to scrutinize it and have to explain to any passing police what I was doing there.
Nice how the straps fan out to the skirt antenna.
I wonder if they ever had an FM station antenna above that skirt.
An STL dish about 2/3 up and what looks like a much smaller dish just above the skirt.

Hdradioeng, I’m assuming that decades ago, WMLO and the original Oldies 106 when they were at 106.3 and three thousand watts, would have been above that skirt? I know 106.3’s antenna was on City Island.

Hdradioeng........ do you to happen to know where the nearest AM HD station is located?; I had heard there is still one in either Hollywood or Miami.

I finally got a decent Sangean HD radio that unlike most had both AM and FM and to my chargrin , 620 WDAE had turned off their HD just a few months before; I had always wanted to hear HD on the AM band; I know it was very controversial, but I wanted to judge it for myself. Hopefully one of these days I will get the chance, even if it means driving to Hollywood ro whereever I had to go to hear it.

I will be in Norfolk, VA for a week later this year; hope that maybe there might be one in the area of Hampton Roads or Norfolk.

Last edited:
Hdradioeng...do you to happen to know where the nearest AM HD station is located?
I had heard there is still one in either Hollywood or Miami.
I am not he, but I left Miami-Dade county less than two (2) months ago.
The Snail has been operating with HD technology for several years.
Although El Caracol means "the snail" en Español,
the letters are really an acronym for Cadena Radial Colombiana.
Their day pattern covers the entire market well
and their night pattern covers Dade county well.
Enjoy your escargot and happy snail hunting!

I worked at WSPB when the 275' self supporting tower was erected. It was in 1970/71. That was the original 102.5 WYAK tower. It originally was located on 5th street, just west of Central Avenue. 102.5 was in the building that is still there on 5th street in Sarasota just west of Central Avenue. WYAK was in the western most store. There is a vacant lot west of that building now. There was a junk yard there in the 60-70's and the tower was in the junk yard. The condo west of there was not there yet. 102.5 had gone silent, so WSPB bought that tower and moved it to City Island to get the WSPB-FM antenna higher up. BTW, WYAK was one of the first, if not THE first, stereo station on the West Coast of Florida. The original 106.3 WSPB-FM antenna was on the original AM tower in the bay at the end of City Island. It was 3kw ERP, horizontal only at only 150 feet. It was mono and simulcast the AM. The only time they separated programming was when they had a baseball and football game at the same time. Football on FM, baseball on AM. When that happened, the FM was programmed out of the Production Control Room. We shunt fed the AM on the grounded tower and placed the FM antenna at the top. That increased the FM height by 100 feet. There were no skirts on the tower then, we just shunt fed it by running a wire, insulated off from the tower, up to the feed point about 1/4 wavelength up. We didn't have space for radials, so the ground system was thirty-six 20 ft copper pipes driven straight down into the water table. I know, I was 18 at the time and drove most of those rods in. The FCC gave us some grief on the ground system, but we finally convinced them it worked. So yes, there was an FM on that tower for many years.

I never knew until I was just brousing over some R-L listings, but 1280 uses that same tower.
Next time I am there, I will have to listen for some mixtures on 1110 and 1620.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom