• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Entercom CBS merger okayed by DOJ, swaps with iHeart, Benneville and Beasley

And finally, he makes it clear.

I've only recently come to realize that what irritates me most about Mike's fantasy league is its gross lack of humanity. Radio isn't just about swapping frequencies, call letters, owners and formats. There are human beings who've spent careers helping to build these radio stations who likely may soon be out of work. I get it. I've been there. I've lost jobs and I've gained jobs with changes in ownership and format. But that doesn't dismiss that with your blanket "you could care less what happens" once iHeart takes over you've again shown a seemingly willful ignorance regarding the lives affected by the changes you so enjoy speculating about. Try spending a few hours in a radio station that has just fired a morning show or a program director. You'll find that game you so enjoy isn't quite as much fun as you seem to think.

I tried to make this point to Mike and he totally ignored it. We should not respond to Mike, he is an idiot when it come to how radio works and is just here to stir the pot, claim he was the first to predict what happened and have the last word no matter how stupid it is.

I tried to make this point to Mike and he totally ignored it. We should not respond to Mike, he is an idiot when it come to how radio works and is just here to stir the pot, claim he was the first to predict what happened and have the last word no matter how stupid it is.

Idiot is a bit harsh. I genuinely suspect he has something of an interest in the business. He's not here to just stir the pot. When they bounced him elsewhere, he showed up here. I -- and a few others -- tried to reach out and offer some direction. Realized after a time that he wasn't interested in much more than what owners could move what format where. As I've said, it's the kid who wants to act grown-up by interrupting the discussion at the adult table at holiday dinner. Not much of an issue until he tries to constantly impress with what he thinks he knows. Most times, I wouldn't say ignore him. My dad was an educator. I've always tried to encourage a young person with an interest. Heck, a CMA DJ radio winner tonight talked with me on occasion while in high school. You learn when someone wants to learn vs when someone just wants to play around. The one's who just want to play lose my encouragement fast.

Last edited:
I could care less about what would happen once iHeartMedia begins operating WBZ.

And, at this point, you have proven that what you care about is creating a fantasy world of radio as you imagine it. I'd suggest that you listen a bit more before posting conjecture and Ouija-board predictions.

As has been mentioned, there are people affected by these deals. Folks with families, with responsibilities and lives. You should care because caring for those we share the planet with is part of being human.

iHeart sucks at news/talk.

I have to agree. KTRH is a heritage station that is synonymous with news in the Houston market. That's one reason that other attempts have failed in the past, most notably News92FM (KROI). KUHF has been trying to court former KROI listeners to NPR programming, but the longer-form non-commercial format is radically different from the fast-paced headline news of commercial news radio.

The signal has its challenges, despite being a 50 kW regional (only high-power AM in Houston) and the nulls on the growing northern suburbs at night (to protect Cox's KRMG in Tulsa). They also have KPRC that can take conservative talk full-time, but they prefer passing themselves off as a news station with the TOH network/local 5 minute update and carrying the popular national conservative talk shows for the rest of the hour on weekdays. KPRC ends up taking the conservative talk show scraps.

iHeart tried to cement the conservatism with Fox News Radio, but now carries ABC Radio News again (due to the group-wide alienation) and brought back the morning news block. With these changes, maybe they are slowly shifting (as contracts expire) to a news format. iHeart's competencies don't include all-news stations, which would be a better fit at CBS Radio. But with the recent sale to Entercom, the fate of the all-news format is uncertain.

iHeart tried to cement the conservatism with Fox News Radio, but now carries ABC Radio News again (due to the group-wide alienation)]

Not exactly. iHeart has a company-wide arrangement with NBC News Radio, in addition to the aforementioned Fox News Radio. Some stations may carry ABC, but not because of a group-wide affiliation.

Idiot is a bit harsh. I genuinely suspect he has something of an interest in the business. He's not here to just stir the pot. When they bounced him elsewhere, he showed up here. I -- and a few others -- tried to reach out and offer some direction. Realized after a time that he wasn't interested in much more than what owners could move what format where. As I've said, it's the kid who wants to act grown-up by interrupting the discussion at the adult table at holiday dinner. Not much of an issue until he tries to constantly impress with what he thinks he knows. Most times, I wouldn't say ignore him. My dad was an educator. I've always tried to encourage a young person with an interest. Heck, a CMA DJ radio winner tonight talked with me on occasion while in high school. You learn when someone wants to learn vs when someone just wants to play around. The one's who just want to play lose my encouragement fast.
I do agree with your statement. If you go back and look at the archive of my posts from year's past, I used to be like "Mike": making wild predictions, thinking I knew it all, and using your analogy, like the kid screaming at the adult's table. I quickly realized that it wasn't productive and it made me look foolish. (This was also early on in my career; I've been working in radio for just 5 years now, but have been interested in it since I was 12. And while I haven't been in it as long as many people that hang around this board have, I have learned so much of the inner workings, like someone who's been it for 25 years.) So I started talking and befriending more people in this business and actually taking the time to LEARN how it all works (and also had some jobs where I had to make decisions). I've learned how ratings are more than just the meaningless 6+ and 12+ (the deeper system of target demos, etc.), how a format is determined, the structure of playlists, why you hear the same stuff over and over, and why stations can't be someone's personal iPod, just to name a few. And as we have all learned, it's that "Mike" has no desire to learn any of it. It's unfortunate, but it's whatever. He can keep talking to the echo chamber and go nowhere (eventually, so he claims, once this merger finally is over, he'll go back to his "home area" (DC + Baltimore) and talk shop there), we can have meaningful discussions about the future of this crazy business. I would love to help new people who want to break in like myself learn how to do this and that, but if they stare back at you with a blank face and refuse to give up their old ways of thinking, it's time to move on. Then again, if he does say something incredulous, I can't help but point out what's wrong with it...

Now Face the Nation on CBS did a segment of CBS Radio going to Entercom.

Interesting presentation. Much different from the view of Les Moonves. He didn't actually say that the CBS News Radio part of the company remains with CBS. But he did refer to it as a "new venture." Which is true, especially in the way they're going about it.

I could care less about what would happen once iHeartMedia begins operating WBZ.

And there you go again. Despite making the same comment on the other thread, and others calling you out for it, you do it all over again.

Answer this question, not just for me, but for all of us: you don't even work in radio or any form of media, do you?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom