• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ghoulish new log on Halloween morning 2017

Just heard 10 minutes ago, after warding off the ghosts, the goblins and the squealing heterodynes, a new station came out of the graveyard...(but not literally a graveyard freq).

730 - KYYA Billings, MT; local talk show with two hosts discussing an upcoming interview with the police chief of Billings at 0634 PT 10/31; mixing with CHMJ and KEZX OR. NEW #747, 5KW (Day Power), 581 miles. KYYA goes on day power at 0730 MT, so the switch helped! Kind of ironic on Halloween hearing KEZX running that foreclosure prevention PSA with the pirate and the squawking parrot...how old is that one again?
Also heard 1050 CJNB SK and another with Jackson Browne 'Doctor My Eyes,' no doubt rare relog KMTA Miles City.

Just got even more ghoulish with a new country logged!

657 - Pyongyang Broadcasting Stn; Pyongyang, North Korea; popped out of the 660 splatter with bizarre singing, female in Korean at 0715 PT 10/31; at times over the domestic splatter! NEW #748, unknown power (they say 1500KW but who knows) at about 5,250 miles! The regular NHKs have been quite strong and 972 HLCA was well over the splatter at times. New Country as well. Recorded a brief bit but the signal was much weaker than it was a couple minutes before.

Gotta admit pirates, N. Korea, etc. qualify as scary stuff. Nicely done once again!

657 - Pyongyang Broadcasting Stn; Pyongyang, North Korea; popped out of the 660 splatter with bizarre singing, female in Korean at 0715 PT 10/31; at times over the domestic splatter! NEW #748, unknown power (they say 1500KW but who knows) at about 5,250 miles! The regular NHKs have been quite strong and 972 HLCA was well over the splatter at times. New Country as well. Recorded a brief bit but the signal was much weaker than it was a couple minutes before.

Now that is scary on Halloween morning or any morning. Congrats!

Conditions were pretty good to Asia, and 657 N. Korea has been picked up by many DXers in the northwest at sometimes-blistering signal strengths. I also heard a very loud het over KGNW/KUTR-820 (819 khz). This was likely KCBS (Korea Central B.S.) in Pyongyang as well. But my G5 isn't narrow enough to take out the domestics and I don't have a straight-west antenna. My loop is east AND west. I think my TP count would increase with a long wire or antenna beaming west or northwest. Almost had audio on 567 khz (JOIK Sapporo?) and 603 khz (HLSA S. Korea?) as well.
On the other hand, I also had 600 KCOL Wellington, CO with a good signal (local ads) around the time I logged KYYA/730. Tried for KOJM/610 Havre (another wanted station) and didn't hear an ID. Did hear some '80s music but possibly just CHNL. 610 when KONA is nulled is still a very busy channel, but Havre has a west lobe at sunrise.

Last edited:

I gotta try this like at 1 am

657 KHz. is listed as 1.5MW by wikipedia. I think it might make it here!

I doubt they are running 1500kw. Probably more in the range of 100-300kw. It was as loud as a Japanese big gun station (like 774/JOUB or 747/JOIB).

Is CHMJ still running on reduced power at night or are they back up to 50,000 watts? Haven't been up there in awhile, but last time they were on reduced power due to their transmitter getting knocked out.

I doubt they are running 1500kw. Probably more in the range of 100-300kw. It was as loud as a Japanese big gun station (like 774/JOUB or 747/JOIB).

Supposedly the two stations on the two main networks serving the capital are both 1.5 megawatts, 657 kHz and 819 mHz.

Power on skywave can be deceptive; I recall several mornings when 250 watt KIKI in Honolulu put in a better signal to NE Ohio than KORL 650 or KAIM on 870, despite those two having many times the power. And 5 kw KNDI up on 1270 was occasionally the strongest of all of them. The 10 kw NZ station at Rotorua was a better signal consistently than the higher power NZ stations on similarly clear channels.

And then there's directionality.

Also, many stations don't operate at their licensed power. They might lose a tube and just operate at half power for a while. Happens in the US too.
The Asian stations on SW (31 mtrs) come in at local sunrise for me when the path is in near total darkness. They have a bubbly sound that I presume to be due to multiple hops. The best time on medium wave is before local sunrise when domestic stations are at reduced power.

There's a 650 KRTR in Honolulu, so there's probably some interference even at sunrise when they're strongest. There's an SDR on Oahu (NH6XO) and I've heard some Asian DX on there before. This morning I had JOWF-1440 Sapporo (STV Radio) with Japanese talk around 7AM Hawaii time. Only station on the channel as the Mainland was well into sunrise.

Is CHMJ still running on reduced power at night or are they back up to 50,000 watts? Haven't been up there in awhile, but last time they were on reduced power due to their transmitter getting knocked out.

Here in Seattle it sounds like they're up to full power again. But no idea if that's true, just going by how they sound, compared to how they sounded before the mishap at the transmitter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom