• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFMB stationa up for sale?,

Signal Geek

Leading Participant
Citing "sources," KUSI news reported late last week that KFMB-AM-FM-TV are all up for sale. SDRadio.org has link to KUSI report.

Combo is owned by Midwest Television. Any ideas on who might buy it? IHeart and CBS/Entercom are maxed out on San Diego FM's.

Ha Ha that's funny. Maybe Elisabeth should have checked out what TENGA did with Dorthy Bullits family owned KING 5 in Seattle after they bought it. KING is a shell of what is used to be, new studios too small, news cast looks like a two year old in master control is running it. Wont take long for TENGA to kill that KFMB Culture.

Ha Ha that's funny. Maybe Elisabeth should have checked out what TENGA did with Dorthy Bullits family owned KING 5 in Seattle after they bought it. KING is a shell of what is used to be, new studios too small, news cast looks like a two year old in master control is running it. Wont take long for TENGA to kill that KFMB Culture.
1. TEGNA
2. TEGNA didn't get ahold of KING til 2013; Bullitt's daughters sold their mom's empire in 92. Passed through two owners in between.

Tegna and its predecessor, Gannett, have destroyed KHOU in Houston as well.

Can't speak for Seattle, but a friend used to work for the predecessor company of TEGNA/Gannett, and he blamed Belo for all of the cuts at his station. I don't know what TEGNA's like these days, but, in my radio days, a friend interned at a Gannett TV property and said it was run a lot better than the property where he eventually got hired out of college (which, I'm thinking, was owned by Nexstar). Belo had KING 5 for about 20 years and had plenty of time to put its stamp on the station, whatever that may have been.

local scoop

Can't speak for Seattle, but a friend used to work for the predecessor company of TEGNA/Gannett, and he blamed Belo for all of the cuts at his station. I don't know what TEGNA's like these days, but, in my radio days, a friend interned at a Gannett TV property and said it was run a lot better than the property where he eventually got hired out of college (which, I'm thinking, was owned by Nexstar). Belo had KING 5 for about 20 years and had plenty of time to put its stamp on the station, whatever that may have been.

Here is an article on the whole thing

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/dec/21/ticker-will-tegna-drain-kfmb-talent-pool/

Wonder if Tegna will reinstate that shelved minor-mod calling for a drop in KFM-BAM night power from 50kw to 10kw? Could save a few bucks on 'lectricity.

Wonder if Tegna will reinstate that shelved minor-mod calling for a drop in KFM-BAM night power from 50kw to 10kw? Could save a few bucks on 'lectricity.

They might swap the AM out even for a used Gremlin. If there's fuzzy dice hanging from the rear-view, they might even throw in the guard dog at the transmitter shack. Give it a shot!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom