• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Here we go again KDAY goes back to the IE

As reported on Radio insight
KDAY is now back on 93.5 again out in the IE.
When will this guy learn that there isn't much he can do with KDEY?
Its a wasted signal, unless he can find a big void out in the IE. Maybe a shot at Alternative maybe. It would provide better coverage as a signal than X1039 did. Just sayin. Quit going back and forth with the duo signal and figure out how to make 93.5 work so he wont be losing so much money.

Just looked at the red contour and i would say Alternative might be a good thing, the signal area covers the whole IE no problem except Hemet. He should look at Alternative instead of just flipping back and forth from urban to classic hip hop, then CHR to classic hip hop.

Why do you create multiple posts per thought. Have you tried editing your previous post(s)? Man is it just me or is quoting a report from Radio Insight seem wrong?

Just looked at the red contour and i would say Alternative might be a good thing, the signal area covers the whole IE no problem except Hemet. He should look at Alternative instead of just flipping back and forth from urban to classic hip hop, then CHR to classic hip hop.

Alternative seems like a hard route to follow.

The IE market is 51% Hispanic, a group that under indexes on Alternative usage (although KYSR does as well as could be expected and then some). And first generation Hispanics just don't use the format at all.

The market is 8% Black, a group that hardly uses the format at all.

And it is approaching 10% Asian, also an under performing group in Alternative.

Also, there is a huge hunk of the IE from Ontario to about Rialto and Rancho Cucamonga that is not rated... and that is where the KDEY signal is at its best.

Better that KDEY return to Simulcasting KDAY. A good decision by Meruelo and it could benefit KPWR in ramping up its battle against KRRL. But out of all this, the biggest benefactor is KGGI, which seems to be the go to station in the IE.

Why do you create multiple posts per thought. Have you tried editing your previous post(s)? Man is it just me or is quoting a report from Radio Insight seem wrong?

Hot hits you are always free not to respond my post, if you are having issues with the way i blog. I Like the way i present my blogs. Im sorry if its an issue for you.

Considering Meruelo's purchase of KPWR, it seemed redundant for two co-owned Urban stations to cover the area.

The Inland Empire and LA are sold and rated as entirely separate markets.

KPWR, which is directional, does not cover any but a tiny nibble of the IE market, and KDEY covers a small sliver of the LA market. They are not redundant. In any case, there were already two CHR/Rhythmic stations in the ID, so KDEY was the poorest signal for most of the market.

Anyway, Power does not describe itself as "Urban" and I don't think it has, at least in recent memory. Its core constituency has always been Hispanics, followed by "other" (non-Hispanic white, etc.) and African Americans. About 70% of Power's cume is Hispanic, in fact.

KPWR does not even subscribe to the IE ratings book, showing how little importance that market is to them. In fact, the only LA operators that subscribe to the IE book are Spanish language owners Univision and Entravision.

The Inland Empire and LA are sold and rated as entirely separate markets.

KPWR, which is directional, does not cover any but a tiny nibble of the IE market, and KDEY covers a small sliver of the LA market. They are not redundant. In any case, there were already two CHR/Rhythmic stations in the ID, so KDEY was the poorest signal for most of the market.

Anyway, Power does not describe itself as "Urban" and I don't think it has, at least in recent memory. Its core constituency has always been Hispanics, followed by "other" (non-Hispanic white, etc.) and African Americans. About 70% of Power's cume is Hispanic, in fact.

KPWR does not even subscribe to the IE ratings book, showing how little importance that market is to them. In fact, the only LA operators that subscribe to the IE book are Spanish language owners Univision and Entravision.

I understand the Inland Empire and Los Angeles are separate markets. It's just that I saw the fact that Wild 93.5 became redundant following Meruelo’s acquisition of Power 106 from Emmis.

I understand the Inland Empire and Los Angeles are separate markets. It's just that I saw the fact that Wild 93.5 became redundant following Meruelo’s acquisition of Power 106 from Emmis.

How can stations in two separate markets be redundant? That is like saying KIIS in LA and WHTZ in New York are redundant.

Again: Power only gets about a 1.5 share in the IE market because it has a very limited signal there, due to directionality. The 1.5 is probably coming from IE residents who commute into LA where they can hear the signal.

The more likely cause for the change in format is the elimination of co-channel interference between the two 93.5 signals in the important San Gabriel Valley are of the LA market.

It never made any sense in the first place why they split the signals given the interference.

Funny thing: My best friend loves listening to KDAY. Shortly after they split the signals this last time, I was helping him move his cars on his street. He lives in Pomona near the Fairplex. You literally get KDAY or KDEY depending on what side of the street you were parked on! I told him that they split the two signals into two different stations and he says "oh..., I was wondering what the heck was going on and why I can't listen clearly anymore."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom