• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K-earth 101.

Just wanted to know if K-earth has increased the amount of 80's it rotates. It seems like a year ago every other song was 80's. Now sometimes in the rotation you can get like 5 80's songs in a row. If that is so i would imagine they are getting ready to dump some 70's songs and introduce even more 90's. quite possibly 1 every hour. Come January 2018, 25 years ago would be the beginning of 1993. So it would make sense. If i was running the station. I would just play songs from 1978 to 1993 and spin the ones that test the highest during that era based on audience testing. Entercom may like the way things are and just let the managers keep doing what they are doing.

Looking at 1990 alone there isnt much you could add. The only ones i think would be worth testing would be

All i wanna do is make love to you by
Heart.
Poison by bell biv devoe
Vogue by madonna
I remember you. Skid row
And maybe
King of wishful thinking by Go west.

Looking at 1991

More than words by extreme
Motownphilly by boyz to men
Love will never do without you Janet jackson
Right here, right now Jesus Jones
And something to talk about Bonnie raitt.

Not sure how well they would test but there isnt anything else i think of that would do well on K-earth.

Looking at 1991

More than words by extreme
Motownphilly by boyz to men
Love will never do without you Janet jackson
Right here, right now Jesus Jones
And something to talk about Bonnie raitt.

Not sure how well they would test but there isnt anything else i think of that would do well on K-earth.

Losing My Religion - R.E.M.

Looking at 1990 alone there isnt much you could add. The only ones i think would be worth testing would be

All i wanna do is make love to you by
Heart.
Poison by bell biv devoe
Vogue by madonna
I remember you. Skid row
And maybe
King of wishful thinking by Go west.

Absolutely looking forward to hearing Skid Row on KRTH! But would it be too much to ask if they can add "18 and Life" as well?

I know, I know, now I am the "King of Wishful Thinking"!

A 1990 hit with a very '80s sound was Jane Child's "Don't Wanna Fall in Love." It's been in regular rotation on SiriusXM's '90s channel from the beginning. Think it might have a chance of testing well for KRTH and other classic hits stations now that it's over 25 years old? As for 1991, how about Rod Stewart's "The Motown Song"? Too old-sounding? Too AC?

A 1990 hit with a very '80s sound was Jane Child's "Don't Wanna Fall in Love." It's been in regular rotation on SiriusXM's '90s channel from the beginning. Think it might have a chance of testing well for KRTH and other classic hits stations now that it's over 25 years old? As for 1991, how about Rod Stewart's "The Motown Song"? Too old-sounding? Too AC?
Rhythm of My Heart is more likely to be the next contender.

Rhythm of My Heart is more likely to be the next contender.

Surprised it isn't being played already. It was one of a few '90s titles WDRC-FM Hartford added a year or so before its sale and subsequent flip to classic rock, along with Hootie & the Blowfish's "Only Wanna Be With You," Cher's "Believe," Sheryl Crow's "Soak Up the Sun" and maybe a half dozen others.

I guess it all depends on the direction KRTH wants to go with a decade that polarized pop music and its fans. Rhythmic CHRs weren't touching "Rhythm of My Heart." Rock/pop-oriented CHRs weren't playing anything with a rap element to it. "Papas Got a Brand New Bag," "Sugar Sugar" and "Satisfaction" all worked on oldies radio because the listeners who remembered those songs when they were current had been listening to them on one radio station, whereas I went through the '90s without hearing a lot of rhythmic stuff when it was new because the CHR I was listening to didn't play it.

Kind of like the early 70's, the early 90's were crappy years for pop. A few titles will still stand up today, but not many.

A modern oldies (er classic hits) station isn't going to force people to listen to songs they'd rather forget just to fill a quota for a year in pop.

Since the pop and rock charts splintered in the 90's into different genres, the trick is cherry picking the best from each. There are going to be songs from all over the spectrum then that everyone can agree upon now. (and for that matter, today we as listeners won't be as hung up on what box they fit into now as back in the day)

In the early 90's, a lot of stations defined themselves by what they didn't play. You can't really do that now (and we shouldn't have done it then). But if given the choice between trying to check the 90's box by playing a mediocre Rod Stewart song like "Rhythm of My Heart" or "Motown Song" I might test a stronger one like "Forever Young" or just skip ahead to the mid to late 90's and look at Hootie, Sheryl Crow, and (gasp) Alanis or some of the Lilith Fair types like Lisa Loeb, Sarah McLachlan, and such. Effectively you start to snipe the better testing songs off of AC radio and claim them as your own. Speaking of which, with Bon Jovi now being a core artist at AC, classic hits has license to poach most of his catalog now.

For the record, I love that Jane Child song and always have. I'm not sure if anyone besides me would have such a favorable reaction to it, though. Outside of XM, has anyone played it since 1990?

If your referring to "Don't Wanna Fall In Love", the song doesn't get much play on the commercial side, but has shown up in the recent playlists of stations like KCSN, KKXT in Dallas, WXPN in Philly (according to an artist search on the Tunein App)

KRTH, of course, dramatically changed their positioning from 60's/70's to 80's/90's several years ago. I didn't care for the change, but they seem to be holding their own in key demos. I miss the old jingles and the classics, but that is just me. They are taking advantage of some good library hits from the 80's, but the 90's become more sparse. Will the early 2000's be next for KRTH?

Kind of like the early 70's, the early 90's were crappy years for pop. A few titles will still stand up today, but not many.

Beg to differ on the early '70s. Yes, the harder rock dried up at CHR during those years, but 1970-73 saw hits from Carole King, James Taylor, Elton John, Cat Stevens, Rod Stewart, the Spinners, the Stylistics, Marvin Gaye, and many more that became staples of both oldies and soft rock formats from the mid-'80s to the new millennium, when rhythmic and uptempo became pretty much the only way to go.

In the early 90's, a lot of stations defined themselves by what they didn't play. You can't really do that now (and we shouldn't have done it then). But if given the choice between trying to check the 90's box by playing a mediocre Rod Stewart song like "Rhythm of My Heart" or "Motown Song" I might test a stronger one like "Forever Young" or just skip ahead to the mid to late 90's and look at Hootie, Sheryl Crow, and (gasp) Alanis or some of the Lilith Fair types like Lisa Loeb, Sarah McLachlan, and such. Effectively you start to snipe the better testing songs off of AC radio and claim them as your own. Speaking of which, with Bon Jovi now being a core artist at AC, classic hits has license to poach most of his catalog now.

For the record, I love that Jane Child song and always have. I'm not sure if anyone besides me would have such a favorable reaction to it, though. Outside of XM, has anyone played it since 1990?

I love it, too, but can't say I've heard it anywhere but XM. As for "The Motown Song," just hours after I posted about it, I walked into the local CVS and was greeted by "...bring over some of your old Motown records...", so the song makes CVS's in-house background music playlist as well as XM's. But again, that doesn't mean the song stands up to research for mainstream FM radio, and its absence from FM formats of any kind indicates that it doesn't.

That Lilith Fair stuff would be fine with me, as would songs like "Save Tonight," "Runaway Train," "Hey Jealousy," "When I Come Around," "Semi-Charmed Life," "The Freshmen" and other mid/late-'90s fare that satellite radio seems to have no problem with. Again, though, are any of those compatible with '80s songs and the more rhythmic hits of the '90s?

That Lilith Fair stuff would be fine with me, as would songs like "Save Tonight," "Runaway Train," "Hey Jealousy," "When I Come Around," "Semi-Charmed Life," "The Freshmen" and other mid/late-'90s fare that satellite radio seems to have no problem with. Again, though, are any of those compatible with '80s songs and the more rhythmic hits of the '90s?

You can play a lot of it up against 80's pop-rock.

Nobody really has figured out how to handle rhythmic gold. I loved Alan Burns' concept of Movin' but hated his pandering imaging. (I hated his pandering imaging in 90's AC radio, too...) So far, few of the rhythmic gold stations have much staying power and they end up adding currents.

I'm running a 80's-90's classic hits station online that just segued Salt-N-Pepa "Whatta Man" into The Clash "Train In Vain" without apology, but I'm doing this with absolutely no research and making absolutely no money on it... so I wouldn't recommend trying it on a major market FM.

You can play a lot of it up against 80's pop-rock.
I'm running a 80's-90's classic hits station online that just segued Salt-N-Pepa "Whatta Man" into The Clash "Train In Vain" without apology, but I'm doing this with absolutely no research and making absolutely no money on it... so I wouldn't recommend trying it on a major market FM.

John...this is your chance to promote. You teased your adventurous station, so what is the URL?
PS...this thread has rekindled my awareness of Jane Child's Don't Wanna Fall In Love. I'm playing that forgotten tune now on YouTube (video captures the early 90s look of NYC).

That is a great song by Jane Child. BTW, I would love to hear Skid Row, Warrant, Motley, Ratt. A lot of these bands had radio friendly hits...plus they were mostly LA Bands except for Skid Row. It seems like most classic hit stations play a steady diet of Bon Jovi. There is def a chance that K-EARTH plays these. Our classic hits station in Philly would probably never touch these bands and I don't know why. I think these bands sprinkled in throughout the day would work. I love the top 40 Era from 1986-1992.

"Don't Walk Away" by Jade (1993) would be great to hear again on that station.

"Tom's Diner" Suzanne Vega & DNA (1990) and "Crazy" Seal (1991) would be other good choices.

I can see KRTH eventually playing "This Is How We Do It" Montell Jordan (1995) someday.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom