• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bill Kelly - WRKO - Deceased

Bill Kelly, Saturday morning host on WRKO has passed away....he was 57 years old and owner of Kelly Financial Services in Braintree. kuhner teased this info for two or three days last week but would not mention Bill's name (family requested info not be leaked)....Howie made the announcement yesterday and according to the info he has, funeral services will take place next week in Braintree. WRKO is still airing promo's for Bill's show and at this moment they are airing a replay of the show...Bill rarely did a live show so it's not unusual for a replay, it is rather weird though hearing the show knowing he's passed away.

I was going to post this here but a) as of Thu night wasn't sure if true and b) usually these posts go on the In Memorium page.I did hear Howie express his condolences at start of yesterday's show.Originally someone on my facebook noted the passing and mentioned upcoming services but I still can't find an obituary.
The woman on my FB copied an announcement on the Kelly Fin. Services page..but couldn't see it on that page
More info (service details)
https://twitter.com/RadioRaccoon/status/924063421951348737?s=09

Last edited:
Surprised when I heard, but, not unusual for an announcement to be delayed, no doubt the firm wanted an opportunity to call all their clients to give them the news first-hand (and reassure them on the firm’s intent to stay in business,etc), rather than having them hear it through the news and potentially create a mass panic.

I’ve often poked fun at Bill Kelly, saying he had a face, not a voice, for radio. I’ve never met the man, but I know others who have, and everyone I have ever heard speak about Bill Kelley has said he was an outstanding man.

57 is young, anyone have details on the circumstances of his passing?

Surprised when I heard, but, not unusual for an announcement to be delayed, no doubt the firm wanted an opportunity to call all their clients to give them the news first-hand (and reassure them on the firm’s intent to stay in business,etc), rather than having them hear it through the news and potentially create a mass panic.

The mass panic is at WRKO where they just lost a MAJOR sponsor and buyer of block time.

57... wow he sounded older on the radio..... I wonder if he had a plan of succession... otherwise it puts his firm in chaos.

Looks like Mrs Kuhner will need a new job, dodn't she list being a producer of Kelly's show on her resume?

I guess he won't be at next weeks breakfast at the Burlington Marriott.

Someone on the Radio Insight board said actually he had just turned 65. Looks younger than that in pix at his site.
Am sure the business will continue and someone else will host these shows.I don't think they're leaving the business unless his wife sells it off etc

Regarding weekend buys, some have said stations with miniscule ratings and listenership may make more money with weekend or part-time-daily buys than the daily syndie talk.1260...1430? 680...

Last edited:
I don't think they're leaving the business unless his wife sells it off etc

Barry Armstrong has been advertising during his show that Armstrong Financial Services is looking to acquire other companies -- at least, that's how I interpreted it.

I have no idea how involved Kelly Kelly is with the business, if she was involved at all, or if Bill simply had her in the picture to portray the "wholesome family man you can trust with your retirement savings" image.

Barry Armstrong has been advertising during his show that Armstrong Financial Services is looking to acquire other companies -- at least, that's how I interpreted it.

I have no idea how involved Kelly Kelly is with the business, if she was involved at all, or if Bill simply had her in the picture to portray the "wholesome family man you can trust with your retirement savings" image.

Kelly Kelly is co-founder of the company and from what I've heard, she is the one who puts together all of the seminars, especially the big Christmas thank you one. I'm guessing Bill thought far enough in advance to have papers put together giving directions as to what to do with the company in the event of his death.

Make sure that whoever replaces him doesn't plant calls on his financial advice show. Turned down an offer from a well know local financial "advisor" to produce his show because he wanted me to plant calls from his office workers who would call and praise his financial advice. Crooked. It was not Bill Kelly who from what I read and heard of him was totally above board. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:
You know in this case, the "show" is an infomercial. (i.e..one long commercial masquerading as a talk show.)

Absolutely, none the less I wasn't going to produce or be connected with any fraudulent ...long commercial. Perhaps, planting set-up calls isn't illegal but it certainly isn't ethical and it could be an indication that this person's financial "advice" wasn't worth the airwaves it played on.

A couple other facebook posts mention him passing
Below posted on Oct 27 by Bill Brett Boston
>>SAD NEWS: Bill Kelly, who was wildly known for his financial show on WRKO and the many charitable causes he supported, died yesterday. I'll update when his family releases more details.

I know that I'm joined by hundreds of people who will miss Bill. Here's a sample of his show. -- Bill

http://www.wrko.com/media/audio-channel/senior-safe-money-strategies-bill-kelly-9217

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom