• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Directional Control and Status Lines

jasonr

Howdy all -

My first time to post/ask anything here, so if I'm in the wrong place, please show me.

Also my first rework of a somewhat neglected AM directional. Kind of a long term slow rehab project.
Just had new Ickyy Pick solid copper multipair run from the TX shack to each remote tower base for
control / status lines. TPO is >7kW daytime. Working through the stuff one step at a time.
Contactors are flopping, 220v on seperate lines getting down there fine.

Am getting tons of RF on the LPS and contactor position status lines. Am hoping grounding
the stiff aluminum shield on this stiff old telco stuff will help, otherwise, there's so much
RF on a couple of the runs you can't even look for connectivity to verify pairs are good.

What other ways do you know to get the RF gone?

Oh, of course, being contract work, it's gotta be something I can afford.
Thanks for your thoughts

Install a .01uf capacitor from each wire to a GOOD GROUND. Also put a .01uf capacitor across each pair.
In really bad cases, you may need to install an appropriate RF choke in series with each line.
The voltage rating of the capacitor should be quite high, perhaps 400 to 600 volts.

Thank you sir for the quick reply. Been digging through the various mouse gnawed and stinky ancient stuff in the cabinets out here...
Hm. Only found .47, .047, and huge caps so far... so have to go Mouser or such. Think I can get away doing this just at the shack end... or both?

The Shack end may work if you have a very good ground. You might try it both ways and use the method which works best.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom