Puerto Rico Power Restoration - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puerto Rico Power Restoration

Interesting article in the Columbia Journalism Review yesterday about how AM radio in Puerto Rico recovered from the hurricane and the increase in ad revenue that resulted at some stations.

https://www.cjr.org/united_states_pr...rico-radio.php

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by badjef View Post
    I thought that was the reason for moving to Mt. Wilson in the first place. And what about KRTH? That has (or had) a killer full market signal. Are there translators on 101.1 which have reduced the effective footprint that I don't know of?
    Even the biggest Mt Wilson signals are on the erratic side in southern Orange County and the coverage of the High Desert part of the market (Lancaster / Palmdale) is very "iffy" at best.

I guess, going back to the era of "ADI", we would call it "San Juan".
    There were never ADI's in PR as Arbitron never measured TV on the Island. ADIs are an arcane TV market definition.

Puerto Rico has always been rated and sold as a single TV market, and since the 80's it's been treated by most advertisers and agencies as a single market.

Just as "South Florida" was referred to as "Miami".
    Miami and Ft Lauderdale were separate markets (Metro Survey Area) until we voted, in 1981, to consolidate.

Now, "MSA", includes whatever they want within a certain radius.
    The Metro Survey Area definition has a precise definition based on commute patterns as well as radio usage. There are some markets, like San Francisco, that are nearly three times as far north to south as they are east to west. That is due to mountains, surrounding metros, etc.

I can't wait to see what name they give "New York". "Tri State Empire"? "Five Boroughs", since they don't really care about Long Island, New Jersey, New York State, and Connecticut, anyway.
    The New York MSA has long been called "New York / Northeast New Jersey" and includes all of Long Island (the Boroughs, Nassau and Suffolk counties). It even includes a piece of Fairfield County, CT. Again, based on radio usage and commute patterns.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 04-24-2018 at 07:15 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by xkxrx View Post
    Interesting article in the Columbia Journalism Review yesterday about how AM radio in Puerto Rico recovered from the hurricane and the increase in ad revenue that resulted at some stations.

https://www.cjr.org/united_states_pr...rico-radio.php
    There has always been a spike in ad revenues after hurricanes in Puerto Rico, and the article does not make mention of this. The increase comes as people collect insurance for repairs, spending at stores and building supply outlets. Insurance companies spend on notices for their customers. The government spends on information bulletins. Non-storm related retailers want to get people out and spending again.

I've been through a half-dozen significant hurricanes in PR while managing and/or programming on the Island, and the pattern never changes.

The article oversimplifies the changes, associating normal and regular patterns uniquely with Marķa. The fact is that the news stations are all AM, so naturally they will get the attention of listeners during the worst moments after a storm. However, once some degree of normalcy returns, there will be no real change in use of these stations (and I've programmed two news / news-talk stations there).
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12