• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

92.9 The Game ...overnight

pritch2448

New Participating Member
I have really become hooked on sports radio 92.9 but no over night local sports talk sucks. I really hate CBS Sports Radio From 2 to 6 AM. Is 92.9 looking for a new overnight person or are the satisfied with CBS Sports Radio for just 4 hours?

If 92.9 feels they can make more money with a local host they will hire one. Most likely when they made the switch to CBS Sports Radio there was little decline in revenue but one 2 or 3 less people to pay. Also this could an attempt to make CBS S.R. a "viable" national program. After all Atlanta is a top ten market.

There's almost no money to be made from 2-6 AM. It makes sense to run a syndicated show during those hours because at least you can use it for market clearance, since you can't really monetize it anyway.

There's almost no money to be made from 2-6 AM. It makes sense to run a syndicated show during those hours because at least you can use it for market clearance, since you can't really monetize it anyway.

Back when WGST had the FM side on 105.7, they would do reruns of Rush overnight and you got to listen to what was on the network feed when there are no local spots to sell. Apparently the EIB Network had a thing for Weird Al Yankovic's "Spatula City".

Now EIB doesn't allow any "streaming" from its feed on the Net; the only way you can time shift him is the record the feed of whatever station you are listening to and play it back later.

I used to stream the EIB feed at work in 2000 and you are right, they had some pretty strange filler going down the pipe.

There's a funny one -- a "Get your thong on" riff centered around Barbara Boxer and some other female Dems. These filler are imperatives when the audio card conks out - ha.

IMHO: As the Atlanta market continues to grow, especially with multinational companies, I would not be surprised if someday: (next 5 years) there will be revenue to be had 24/ 7. Just like NYC: soon weekend folks will be getting canned for a point or two loss in a demo. As the world gets more connected there will be more folks having to work “business” hours in Europe and Asia. I do now.

Also as commute times get worse there will be more folks at work before 6 AM just to avoid traffic hassles. I really thought teleworking would alieve a lot of this, but I so far I have been wrong. Atlanta traffic still sucks 6 till 9 AM.

IMHO: As the Atlanta market continues to grow, especially with multinational companies, I would not be surprised if someday: (next 5 years) there will be revenue to be had 24/ 7. Just like NYC: soon weekend folks will be getting canned for a point or two loss in a demo. As the world gets more connected there will be more folks having to work “business” hours in Europe and Asia. I do now.

Also as commute times get worse there will be more folks at work before 6 AM just to avoid traffic hassles. I really thought teleworking would alieve a lot of this, but I so far I have been wrong. Atlanta traffic still sucks 6 till 9 AM.

A big part of the decline of AM in Atlanta (except for You Know Who) is due to the fact that winter drivetime starts well before sunrise and ends well after sunset. If you're a class D daytimer or a class B with a crappy night signal you're not in the game. Period. And class C local stations don't have the reach required anymore. 1340 could be a contender in the WAKE days when the metro did not extend into what is now OTP. Not anymore. The fact that Atlanta got shortchanged in the class A game (similar to the VHF TV allocations) caused AM to die in ATL a lot sooner than in a lot of other markets.

Why didn’t a couple of AM operators of 25 KW plus daytime signals find some floodplain land south of Cartersville, Northwest Cobb or Northern Douglas County and duplex towers for a directional signals going southeast or due east? I would have kept it directional 24 / 7 to cover Cobb, North Fulton, Northern DeKalb, and Gwinnett with the most signal the FCC would allow due to the crappy soil conductivity. The COLs would have to be changed but I would not really worry about any coverage north of I 20. Check the FCC data base for SC, NC, and FL for some of the Atlanta Daytimer frequencies. Lots of empty channels.

1070 in Chattanooga has quite the daytime signal if you are in the pattern.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom