• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas Music

Here's my prediction... In the wee hours of Dec. 1, a mysterious corporate angel flies in to Boston (rumors of a sleigh being involved not proven), visits a certain office park owner, and puts WMEX back on the air with a new format - 24 x 7 x 365 Christmas music - "All Xmas - All the Time".

Here's my prediction... In the wee hours of Dec. 1, a mysterious corporate angel flies in to Boston (rumors of a sleigh being involved not proven), visits a certain office park owner, and puts WMEX back on the air with a new format - 24 x 7 x 365 Christmas music - "All Xmas - All the Time".

That would be wmeXmas.

the reason the Sports Hub went to 98.5 and Mix moved from there to 104.1 in 2009 was because the reach of 104.1 wasn't all that great.

Actually the reason for the switch was because 104.1 signal could get into office buildings in Boston better. Whereas 98.5 has a much better reach in the suburbs instead.

Last edited:
Ent. might get MJX by Fri, an LMA.Might Beasley throw all Christmas on WBOS 92.9 then as well? What format might they then there? Would doubt they make WROR Christmas unless they hold off on any station doing it and throw it on the week of the holiday?

I don't foresee Beasley putting all Christmas on WBOS to counter Entercom having it on Magic. For as much as we love the radio wars, these moves prove that while they want their stations to win, owners place nice with each other when it means a win-win for numerous parties. Or in this case, a win-win-win, but I digress.

As for a new format for WBOS, I doubt it in the next year or so.

Nov 15, stockholder vote.Nov 17, fed approval expected and LMAs could begin.Ent. should have Magic by Fri. Necessary divestment allows Beasley to get Sports Hub.

Turn to Sirius Channel 4. They started Christmas ....oh sorry, " Holiday" music last week. Wonder what " Holiday " they have in mind.
Christmas. They're trying to be inclusive, but how many non-Christmas songs do you hear? How about none?

Christmas. They're trying to be inclusive, but how many non-Christmas songs do you hear? How about none?

I have never heard a clear channel Christmas format...but I like the way Magic in Boston has done it in years past.

They play old & new, fast & slow, originals and varied versions. Some traditional/religious carols, and some modern contemporary Christmas songs.

And I think (IIRC) they do use the words "Christmas Station".

**Whether this year it will be the same...who knows!

I have never heard a clear channel Christmas format...but I like the way Magic in Boston has done it in years past.

They play old & new, fast & slow, originals and varied versions. Some traditional/religious carols, and some modern contemporary Christmas songs.

And I think (IIRC) they do use the words "Christmas Station".

**Whether this year it will be the same...who knows!
Yeah, they do say Boston's Christmas Station, and they do have a good mix of music. I would say 105.1 is the most modern Christmas station in New England, as it doesn't play much pre-1970s, and plays a good amount of current/recurrent Christmas music.

Yeah, they do say Boston's Christmas Station, and they do have a good mix of music. I would say 105.1 is the most modern Christmas station in New England, as it doesn't play much pre-1970s, and plays a good amount of current/recurrent Christmas music.

I live in the Hartford market. We have a radio in the our kitchen that we leave on as background noise. Normally it's tuned to Kool 96.1 (Oldies) or Lite 100.5 WRCH. As soon as WRCH flips every Thanksgiving Day at 3PM my Mom almost never changes the station. And over the past several years I've noticed WRCH's Christmas Music playlist not only is getting more modern - it's also getting more and more repetitive. - I hate it. It's got to be a few years since I've heard that Christmas song by Porky Pig on WRCH. One year the now defunct 102.9 The Big D did the all-Christmas thing. They had a much larger playlist. Unfortunately they didn't make any headway in the ratings and they never did the all-Christmas thing on The Big D again.

Usually about a week or so before Christmas i-Heart's Country 92.5 does "Country Christmas" 7PM-Midnight. And although they no longer do it, I remember i-Heart's KISS 95.7 used to play Christmas Music all day (or part of the day) on Christmas Day. *sarcasm* Yeah. Nothing like hearing Christmas music pitched up. *end of sarcasm*

This is where I find myself agreeing with those who say that a "war on Christmas" is going on. I remember hearing the "sounds of the season" on WRKO Boston as a kid with the jingle "Merry Christmas ... from W-R-K-O" preceding every song. I'm Jewish. I'm not offended by this music on the radio, nor am I offended when it's referred to as what it is, rather than by an inaccurate euphemism.

Winter Wonderland; Baby, It's Cold Outside; Frosty the Snowman; Let it Snow; etc. Though associated with Christmas, these (and others) are NOT Christmas songs. Btw, I am a proponent of using the word Christmas and not holiday.

I like your second reason. The first one I don't think matters all that much. Sort of ancient history and a totally different format. My guess is that they will stay where they are as WEEI is much more than 93.7. It has frequencies all over New England and a strong online presence. My two cents anyway. Interesting thoughts though.

Winter Wonderland; Baby, It's Cold Outside; Frosty the Snowman; Let it Snow; etc. Though associated with Christmas, these (and others) are NOT Christmas songs. Btw, I am a proponent of using the word Christmas and not holiday.

True, but Christmas itself is a religious holiday inserted roughly where a winter celebration used to be on the calendar, so those songs are just as much part of the celebration of Christmas as we know it as the others. Curiously, while there are Hanukkah songs, I can't think of one that mentions cold weather at all, and that holiday always falls at least partially in December (I believe Nov. 30 is the earliest on the Gregorian calendar that it can begin.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom