• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can FM translaators have HD subchannels?

anotherguyTN

Walk of Fame Participant
Just curious, but is it possible for FM translators to have HD subchannels like full power FM stations? Also, is it possible for a group that owns an FM translator for their AM station to carry other FM subchannels? Thanks.

Here's the way I see it, a station may originate programming or lease their HD channels. They could delegate that to an AM station, owned by them or leased to an AM owned by another party. The translator rule of thumb is you must have an originating station to translate. Some translators simple repeat an HD channel. There are certain translator rules that apply. Now, a translator acquired by an AM for the purpose of carrying the AM signal is stuck doing just that. The translator in this case is glued to the AM station that acquired it.

A translator designated as non-commercial, I believe, cannot be commercial even if leased. I suppose if on a commercial channel they might request permission to classify it as a commercial translator

Just curious, but is it possible for FM translators to have HD subchannels like full power FM stations? Also, is it possible for a group that owns an FM translator for their AM station to carry other FM subchannels? Thanks.

W275BH 102.9 Lawrence, MA had HD. 1110 AM WMVX Salem, NH used to promote it was on 102.9 JD3 until it got its own translator

No reason why not. But given the weakness of the translator to begin with, there is not much point. Nobody could hear it unless they are next door to the tower.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom