• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio hosts making fools of themselves over My Pillow commercials

Lee Linwood

Frequent Participant
It’s more than just a pillow stuffed with shredded foam! My Pillow is one of the greatest contributions to civilization! Or, so you’d think listening to radio hosts making complete fools of themselves doing testimonials for the ubiquitous My Pillow commercials

Joe Piscopo, for example, not only sleeps on a My Pillow (of course), his cousin Paulie buys so many My Pillows, his nickname is Paulie Pillow! He actually says this.

Not to be out-done, station colleague Mike Gallagher not only sleeps on a My Pillow, his dog does, too In fact, his dog has 2 My Pillows!

When My Pillow wasn’t a sponsor of Mark Simone’s show, he candidly dismissed My Pillow and remarked that he didn’t have one because he didn’t believe it worked. Now, as a sponsor, Simone gushes over My Pillow, calling it life-changing!

I could go on. The testimonials have zero cred and are insufferable, causing me to change the station, hoping not to hear yet another annoying My Pillow commercial!

The testimonials have zero cred and are insufferable, causing me to change the station, hoping not to hear yet another annoying My Pillow commercial!

I have the same reaction to your endless posts on the subject. They at least get paid for what they do.

Let me imagine if OP was a radio host... on our dear old FM News 101.9... talking about his competitors.

I'm Lee Winwood, and let me tell you about a change I made that improved my life. A very simple change. I decided to stop pressing the "AM" button on my radio. Yes, they have traffic every 10 minutes, and they'll give you the world in about 22 minutes (half of which are commercials). But what really changed my life was not having to listen to the show hosts prostrate themselves before anyone. Not before MyPillow, not before the altar of nutrition and veggies and chiropractors, and not before politicians. My cardiologist used to tell me that I needed blood pressure medication. But now, since I don't tune to 77, or 880, or even 970, and definitely not El Rushbo, my blood pressure has fallen 18 points! Do yourself a favor, stay with FM News 101.9. Light hearted when you want it, hard hitting when you need it. I'm Lee Winwood, stay with FM News 101.9.

That’s why I don’t make purchase decisions based on radio hosts’ product testimonials

Following up on BigA's point, with an endorsement or not, all advertising is a message of what the sponsor wants to say.

Whether it is a live read or recorded, whether the talent speaks in first person or not, a paid advertisement is, by definition, a message that the client has requested and ordered to be delivered.

Whether you buy or not is a personal choice. On the client side, they would change their advertising approach if the ads you are criticizing did not work or stopped working.

They read what the sponsors want them to read.

Some will, some won't.

Doing a live read and endorsing are two very different things integrity-wise. Some hosts will not endorse something they don't actually believe in, while doing live-reads is often part of your job description.

And according to that article, people keep buying them. "On the strength of its ubiquitous ads, MyPillow generated $280 million in sales in 2016, according to a company spokesperson."

And I didn't see anything in that article that said the company is doing anything illegal:

"Lindell, for his part, seems unconcerned by the potential dangers--and even encouraged by the incident's media attention. "I've been on TV enough that the country trusts me," he says. "Business is probably going to get better."

No such thing as bad publicity.

And according to that article, people keep buying them. "On the strength of its ubiquitous ads, MyPillow generated $280 million in sales in 2016, according to a company spokesperson."

And I didn't see anything in that article that said the company is doing anything illegal:

"Lindell, for his part, seems unconcerned by the potential dangers--and even encouraged by the incident's media attention. "I've been on TV enough that the country trusts me," he says. "Business is probably going to get better."

No such thing as bad publicity.

Such a thing as bad publicity https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...bbb-revoked-mypillows-accreditation/96160874/

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home-products/news/a42177/mypillow-infomercials-bbb-failing/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom