• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lionel disses NY Radio Message Board

Very often people aspire to careers in radio and realize they can't sustain a career there. They pursued other career paths and follow radio as a hobby. Is there anything wrong with that?

Those folks are what we call "listeners" and there is nothing wrong with having lots of them and it's healthy to hear their opinions.

Following your analogy, were a player to make the NFL, but sit on the bench all season without playing, then the point is a little more like "he thought he made it but actually he didn't". Sort of like Nash in NYC (which is not a full market signal in in some senses is just a suburban property like a slightly larger Thunder 106).

At the low billing level of Nash, it is certainly questionable if the format will survive; more than that, it's an issue of whether it's in NYC is due to an audience strategy or just a misstep by the previous Cumulus management.

He made it cause he still counts against the $$ salary cap.

You sound like the guy that tells the bookie you shouldve won the bet cause the kicker missed the 23 yrd chippy fg.

At the low billing level of Nash, it is certainly questionable if the format will survive; more than that, it's an issue of whether it's in NYC is due to an audience strategy or just a misstep by the previous Cumulus management.

I don't think it was a "misstep." It was a calculated risk. They knew historically that the format would not be a major biller. I think all of the factors, including signal and potential billing, were taken into account based on the discounted price they paid for the license at the time. The format itself wouldn't work as a stand alone station, but it works as the New York clear for a national brand. The bigger problem how to fix WPLJ.

He made it cause he still counts against the $$ salary cap.

So, instead of a "player" that example-guy is a statistic.

You sound like the guy that tells the bookie you shouldve won the bet cause the kicker missed the 23 yrd chippy fg.

No, I sound like a person fed up with Lee's attempt to discredit a person simply because of his profession.

I don't think it was a "misstep." It was a calculated risk. They knew historically that the format would not be a major biller. I think all of the factors, including signal and potential billing, were taken into account based on the discounted price they paid for the license at the time. The format itself wouldn't work as a stand alone station, but it works as the New York clear for a national brand. The bigger problem how to fix WPLJ.

"They" in this case was Lew, and he ruined a bunch of country stations with his failed attempt to create a national brand and a somewhat homogenized version of the format.

I think Lew looked back at WHN when Ed Salomon was there and did not take into account the huge changes in ethnicity and demographics. Typical.

The message board dentist is a jerk. He thinks he is running a radio show with his message board. I stopped reading it a couple of years ago.

I think Lew looked back at WHN when Ed Salomon was there and did not take into account the huge changes in ethnicity and demographics. Typical.

I don't think he cared about that. He wanted a New York clear for the format. I'm sure the iHeart people would have loved to get Bobby Bones on in NYC first, but all of their stations are doing too well. However they did a similar thing in Boston when they had the chance. Lew has been gone for more than two years, and they haven't changed the format of this station, even though they could easily trade formats with WNBM. The only thing the company has done since getting rid of the Dickeys is allow local stations more format autonomy. But the Nash format remains, and the two flagship shows are still being done.

I find that board a decent read. Lots of people with plenty of experience go there. I like reading their opinions, stories and insights. The “Dentist” runs the board the way he wants, its not costing you anything to go there or not go there. There are a lot of discussion forums, pick another one if the NYRMB is not your thing.

"The Dentist" was on K104 WSPK-FM in Poughkeepsie, NY through the 1980s and then decided to make some money as a dentist.

http://www.musicradio77.com/JohnBarron.html

Wow, he says sbout those days:

My ratings were ot [sic] top both for the station and for Saturday nights. I was very lucky. The station did what virtually no station would do today... gave me the freedom to do what I wanted.

Now he basically tells anyone with an outside-the-box idea to forget it.

Does he still allow Jay Diamond to post?

This is not a "board of boards". It's fine to comment on a thread over at another board, as the admins of many of them are friends and we welcome the cross promotion. But we don't want to be the duck blind from which others take pot-shots at those boards.

This is not a "board of boards". It's fine to comment on a thread over at another board, as the admins of many of them are friends and we welcome the cross promotion. But we don't want to be the duck blind from which others take pot-shots at those boards.

I wrote that over a month ago.

I was still on dial-up when introduced to that NYRMB. That was back when there was none of Allan's off-shoot boards. I don't know who/when turned me on to this board's brand and its forums, or the more recent Venta-Fybush boards, but I visit all of them frequently. (My favorites are the DX-Reception panels. At least THAT is something I know a little about, lol.)

I find ALL of them good reading. Every so often I feel I can add an observation or a theory (and even a gag) when I post. I mean, I * did * work 26 years in radio and bought a house with my IRA thanks to the industry. So even in retrospect, plus dealing mostly from last century's radio-industry milieu, I never delay in asking a question or requesting something be cleared up for me.

Bottom line here : A lot of discussion steam went out the chimney (for me, anyway) after Arbitron put a noose around publicly released ratings results, showing only those of subscribing stations. And that form of verbal energy -- along with its accompanying flame wars -- collapsed on ALL the message boards. It's not much fun (yawn) being invited from a small market to watch a poker game between a bunch of large-market millionaires, especially when all the other invited spectators seem to have an actual, vested speculation interest in the actual disposition of the players.

Sniffen also has spun off a music board and a NYC radio nostalgia board. He sensed the times changing. Plus, there are other forums for radio and ex-radio DJs and PDs and DXers and MDs to go.

And who is Lionel, anyway? I ask that in truthfulness.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom