• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas Music

richt1014

New Participating Member
WBEB HD2 flipped to all Christmas earlier today and More FM’s Christmas survey is up on their website. I’m still wondering if Today’s 965 is going to flip to Christmas in November.

But will 96.5 play Classic Christmas music, I would rather OGL do it, they are a bit different then most of the Christmas formats.

Wow WBEB is already all christmas on HD2? Damn that's early

But will 96.5 play Classic Christmas music, I would rather OGL do it, they are a bit different then most of the Christmas formats.

I'm sure they won't just put the WOGL Christmas library on 96.5. It wouldn't really make much sense since WOGL's Christmas music was geared to a Classic Hits audience (which I thought was a nice touch, BTW). I assume 96.5 will play whatever library CBS uses on their other AC stations who do the all Christmas format.

Regardless of future plans for the main channel, if I were running WTDY, I'd throw Christmas music on HD2 right now just to eff with 101.1. haha

Regardless of future plans for the main channel, if I were running WTDY, I'd throw Christmas music on HD2 right now just to eff with 101.1. haha

And get that damn IHEARPHILLY off their HD3, which IMHO serves no purpose but to take up a sub, and while we’re at it what is the purpose of WOGL HD4, Phillies 24/7/365, geeze, can’t they think of something exciting for these two subs...

And get that damn IHEARPHILLY off their HD3, which IMHO serves no purpose but to take up a sub, and while we’re at it what is the purpose of WOGL HD4, Phillies 24/7/365, geeze, can’t they think of something exciting for these two subs...

Programming they either A.) Produce cheap or B.) Can re-air cheap. What would you suggest be on those HDs?

Standards, Classic Country 55 - 75, Soft Rock ala the old Sunny, Wrestling Talk yeh I know its fake but would be a refreshing change from EAGLES/EAGLES/EAGLES, 24hour weather, 24hour traffic, with up to date severe conditions, Classic Oldies 55 - 75 ala WMID//WFAT/KFXM, WMGK HD2 does a great job but not deep enough, Metal, Blazin' Rap-Hip Hop, Italian/German/Polish language and the list goes on and on.

Standards, Classic Country 55 - 75, Soft Rock ala the old Sunny, Wrestling Talk yeh I know its fake but would be a refreshing change from EAGLES/EAGLES/EAGLES, 24hour weather, 24hour traffic, with up to date severe conditions, Classic Oldies 55 - 75 ala WMID//WFAT/KFXM, WMGK HD2 does a great job but not deep enough, Metal, Blazin' Rap-Hip Hop, Italian/German/Polish language and the list goes on and on.

WIP had a wrestling talk show back in the late 80's to early 90's. Supposedly, it had good ratings. The host went on a tirade on his last broadcast about how he, supposedly, had a large listening audience, but the turn-out for his wrestling shows didn't draw what he felt they should have drawn. If the ratings were actually good, why hasn't anyone tried another show after he left the air? Is it that impossible to sell ads for that type of show?

Satellite has a popular wrestling show called busted open which airs a few times a week. The ratings are so good they added a few extra days. I believe a few years back Taz had an open mic syndicated show sunday nights that aired on WIP, didn't 1360 have a local show years back. I think wrestling talk locally would draw good numbers.

Satellite has a popular wrestling show called busted open which airs a few times a week. The ratings are so good they added a few extra days. I believe a few years back Taz had an open mic syndicated show sunday nights that aired on WIP, didn't 1360 have a local show years back. I think wrestling talk locally would draw good numbers.

Is there any corroboration that the “ratings are so good?” The 80s channel added what felt like 19,523 additional replays (only a slight exaggeration)of their countdown show. That didn’t mean it was popular, but it was an easy way to fill a hole left by one host’s departure with already-paid-for content.

There are millions of true blue wrestling fans out there that support WWF, Impact, ROH and other promotions and god forbid if you say the word staged or fake. Why all sports stations shun wrestling is beyond me, people still love to discuss it and some fans are more passionate about wrestling than some die hard eagle fans. It would be refreshing for somebody to discuss something other than football, baseball, hockey or basketball over and over. Now with all the crap going on with the NFL and fans fed up with it, maybe professional wrestling chat would be a refreshing change to program on a sub or main signal.

There are millions of true blue wrestling fans out there that support WWF, Impact, ROH and other promotions and god forbid if you say the word staged or fake. Why all sports stations shun wrestling is beyond me, people still love to discuss it and some fans are more passionate about wrestling than some die hard eagle fans. It would be refreshing for somebody to discuss something other than football, baseball, hockey or basketball over and over. Now with all the crap going on with the NFL and fans fed up with it, maybe professional wrestling chat would be a refreshing change to program on a sub or main signal.
They talk Eagles/Phillies/Flyers/Sixers because it works. Granted, they throw in food, beer, movies and what have you, but generally within the context of the overall real sports. I’d lay dollars to donuts there is ample data that says a show about what amounts to a glorified soap opera with theatrical stunts would do far more harm than good. Yes there are fans, but that doesn’t make it smart business to cast aside your core to focus on that, any more than a dedicated golf, tennis, NASCAR, horse racing or badminton show would.

Do you guys think Q102 will become the first CHR station in the country to flip to All-Christmas, playing the music that the old Sunny 104-5 used to play in the early 2000's?

Do you guys think Q102 will become the first CHR station in the country to flip to All-Christmas, playing the music that the old Sunny 104-5 used to play in the early 2000's?

I miss Sunny's Christmas library. No one has ever done the format as well, IMHO. Two points though:

1. Whoever maintained that library (and that's another thing: the library was maintained; it wasn't just the same 300 songs thrown up year after year) most likely no longer works at iHeart Philly.
  2. I feel like I can guarantee with near-total certainty that Q102 will never do all-Christmas. There's no reason to think they would and there's definitely no business justification for doing so.

Is there a listing anywhere of stations across the country who typically do all-Christmas formats? Or at least a list of which stations did in any particular year?

While looking over those October ratings, I thought, 'Hey, wouldn't it be interesting if Beasley flipped BEN to Christmas a week from now?' It might prevent WTDY from doing it at all and it would certainly push WBEB to do it earlier than usual. And if CBS is counting on Christmas to put WTDY on the map, it could be a real problem for them. I wonder whether programmers even think that way these days or if maybe they just spend their days deciding which Taylor Swift songs to put in and pull out of rotation. :confused:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom