• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stations that lean towards other formats?

tall_guy1

Star Participant
These are stations that are of one format that bend towards another. One example is KRBZ, an alternative that leans slightly towards AAA generally. WZYP in Huntsville is a CHR with a Hot AC lean. What about others?

We have a new move-in from the Oregon coast that is still programed for it. They seem to be Hot AC with Mainstream AC tendencies. For example, they play Air Supply!

I don't think any self-respecting Mainstream AC in this day and age will play Air Supply.

What I want to know is why Myrtle Beach's former easy listening station (actually, for several years it was the softest possible version of soft AC, with a minimum of "standards") still calling itself "Easy" and its music "light" and occasionally referring to the music as "relaxing" is playing "Sunglasses at Night" and "Take It on the Run". They DO play Air Supply, of course.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... WDUV in the Tampa market has had "Brick House" and "What About Love" on its "last songs played". And they are regarded as the gold standard of "soft".

I can think of a few:

KXTZ/KXDZ 95.3/100.5: Used to be classic rock but slowly went classic hits, then adult hits over the course of its life (2001-now). I grew up listening to them. For awhile still had the branding/imaging 'Rockin' classics!' yet played songs from the mid-late '00s next to some '70s/'80s/'90s stuff.

KTDZ 103.9: Listed as "adult hits" yet is strictly 70s/80s, more like an oldies.

KTDZ 103.9: Listed as "adult hits" yet is strictly 70s/80s, more like an oldies.

Sounds like WHCN Hartford, which was fairly recently reclassified as classic hits. For a long time, Nielsen had it as "adult hits" even though just about every song was from the '70s or '80s. Looking at the last two hours, it's been all '70s/'80s except for Marc Cohn's "Walking in Memphis," which is now 27 years old, so I guess it's a bona fide classic hit just as much as the oldest song played in this sampling, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's 1970 "Teach Your Children."

i think you could add KEGL 97.1 The Eagle to this list. ever since the Edge died, and right before KVIL went from AMP 103.7 to ALT 103.7, the station added more Alt rock friendly songs to their music lineup. in fact, hearing Blink 182 follow by a Metallica song is not a good mix as Blink is pop-punk rock and belongs on Alt Rock and Metallica is thrash metal/hard rock (early Metallica was Thrash Metal, post-Black Album to Garage, Inc was closer to hard rock, Metallica tried a Nu-Metal type of sound for St. Anger, and from Death Magnetic, Beyond Magnetic EP and Hardwire...To Self Destruct has then going back to their Thrash roots (not counting Lulu with the late Lou Reed in this cat as it was a special experiment album and i don't consider it a proper Metallica album) as a metal band).

The Eagle, now needs to either go full Alt Rock or back to full Active/Mainstream rock if they want to either take on Alt 103.7 or establish itself as something different from Alt 103.7 (like when it was a hard rock station before The Edge flipped to Star 102.1 and both are own by the same company).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom