• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

98.5 and spillover sports

Then why didn’t Entercom sell one of their Boston stations to EMF yet?

4 possibilities.

1.) Price wasn't right.

2.) Entercom hadn't decided which stations they needed to spin off.

3.) They already made an agreement with EMF to purchase a Boston station, it's just not public yet.

4.) Entercom hasn't sold ANY of their Boston station to ANYone yet.

EMF does not buy AM stations and if they get one in a package deal, they spin it.

Oh, I am aware of how they do business. My reply was somewhat sarcastic because a lot of people seem to skip over the fact that Entercom is NOT selling the BZ's & WZLX, CBS is and much of the speculation in this thread is about the Sports Hub.

We don't even know if EMF will be acquiring anything from Entercom in Boston.

I suppose, but people with insight see.....

...that EMF is one of the few people actively buying these days.

....that EMF has a strategy of entering the major markets now.

....Boston is one of the few major markets where EMF has no presence.

Odds are they are a player at the table.

Add to that the fact that the new Entercom would probably like to see some of the spun off station as non-commercial and non-competitive on the other side of the merger/sale.

Add to that the fact that the new Entercom would probably like to see some of the spun off station as non-commercial and non-competitive on the other side of the merger/sale.

The issue is that CBS & Entercom don't want to incur tax liability based on the gain on the sale of heritage properties. So they will go for like kind trades first, as those don't result in tax liabilities.

The issue is that CBS & Entercom don't want to incur tax liability based on the gain on the sale of heritage properties. So they will go for like kind trades first, as those don't result in tax liabilities.

You make a good point. I believe it's better for Entercom to trade these stations to commercial operators than to sell them a la carte.

Add to that the fact that the new Entercom would probably like to see some of the spun off station as non-commercial and on the other side of the merger/sale.

These are good possibilities. However, I don't know if Entercom divesting stations in Boston to EMF would work in the DOJ's favor.

These are good possibilities. However, I don't know if Entercom divesting stations in Boston to EMF would work in the DOJ's favor.

Unless I missed it in the myriads of posts addressing the possibilities of who will buy what: does anyone see either Bloomberg or Salem as a buyer of WRKO?

Unless I missed it in the myriads of posts addressing the possibilities of who will buy what: does anyone see either Bloomberg or Salem as a buyer of WRKO?

Salem makes some sense, with WRKO carrying its talk lineup as a complement to its preach-and-teach WEZE. But why would Salem want to spend that kind of money in a market that is largely indifferent to downright hostile to such programming?

Given the current line-up at 680, one would have to think iHeart would make a logical owner. I know I'm the one who says they have no money, and they can't change their assets while renegotiating their credit. All that is true. But RKO looks too much like WOR, in so many ways, for them to let it go to anyone else. I can't imagine them letting Salem or another competitor in the talk radio area getting it and dropping their shows. There must be something among their 800 stations they could trade for this one.

Given the current line-up at 680, one would have to think iHeart would make a logical owner. I know I'm the one who says they have no money, and they can't change their assets while renegotiating their credit. All that is true. But RKO looks too much like WOR, in so many ways, for them to let it go to anyone else. I can't imagine them letting Salem or another competitor in the talk radio area getting it and dropping their shows. There must be something among their 800 stations they could trade for this one.

There's also the historical bit that both WOR and WRKO were co-owned for years by the now-defunct RKO-General Corp.

In LA, CC runs local talk on their powerhouse KFI while parking their syndicated fare - yes, including Rush - on KEIB.

Perhaps some of iHeartMedia's Virginia/Carolina stations that I had rumors about in August could be indeed part of a swap with Entercom for CBS Radio spinoffs.

There was no rumor other than the speculation here. That group of stations did a partial reorganization and did a reduction in staffing; unfortunately not an unusual occurrence in radio in general in recent years.

There was no rumor other than the speculation here. That group of stations did a partial reorganization and did a reduction in staffing; unfortunately not an unusual occurrence in radio in general in recent years.

I understand, although I did have thoughts about iHeartMedia planning a potential swap of radio stations with Entercom.

Per a @radioinsight tweet, WBOS 92.9 aka Alt is the new spillover station for Pats/B's/C's conflicts

I wonder what the third station will be, in the rare occasion that all three are playing? I would think Hot 96.9, over WROR. The reason being that the NBA has large crossover with fans of modern R&B, Hip-Hop, and Rap.

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n35019

And Here is an Update by Radio-Online for WBZ-FM

Beasley Broadcast Group has completed the previously announced asset exchange with Entercom whereby Beasley exchanged WMJX-FM, 106.7MHz Boston and $12 million cash for WBZ-FM, 98.5 MHz Boston.

Caroline Beasley, Chief Executive Officer of Beasley Broadcast Group, commented, "The addition of WBZ-FM to our broadcast portfolio highlights Beasley's focus on premium local programming and content and is complementary to our five other radio stations and digital operations in the Boston market. Throughout Beasley Broadcast Group's 56 year history, we have actively managed our station portfolio with the goal of serving the communities where we operate with the best local programming and brands, diversifying our operations, managing risk and improving financial results. The addition of WBZ-FM to our portfolio addresses all of these strategic objectives as it strengthens our company's presence and commitment to locally originated content in the Boston market.

"Focusing on strong core programming and targeted original local content is the foundation of Beasley's operating strategy and has proven vital to the Company's long-term ratings strength and success. Professional sports are unique in that strong bonds are formed between local fans across multiple generations based on shared traditions and a continued passion for their teams. This transaction further diversifies our Boston market content offerings with marquee sports programming and live game broadcasts of several of the most prominent and competitive professional sports teams in the country.

I wonder what the third station will be, in the rare occasion that all three are playing? I would think Hot 96.9, over WROR. The reason being that the NBA has large crossover with fans of modern R&B, Hip-Hop, and Rap.
Rhythmic stations and sports don't really mix. Yes, Beasley had the Pistons on Bounce Detroit for a bit, but that was only because it had to fulfill the last year of their 3 year contract when that station was still sports talk.

The info about all spillover sports going to 92.9 wasn’t true, at least for the Celtics. Tonights Celtics game was announced to be on WZLX. There must be something in the contract that says they have to air on WZLX during conflicts. Maybe that’ll change next season?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom