• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 930

On a clearer 930, KHJ was still a challenge due to the very sharp null towards WKY. That null effectively reduced the power towards the east and northeast, and most of the Midwest, too. In fact, when I was PD of (K)KHJ, the null towards Glendale, La Crescenta and Montrose often allowed WKY to be heard right in the metro area!

I figured that was the case because I could hardly hear KHJ in the Coachella Valley at night years ago.

How was KHJ's local and regional coverage during the glory top 40 years?

The station did pretty well in the market as it was in the 60's and earlier 70's. The San Fernando Valley had not grown as much to the west, the Santa Clarita area was rural and small, central and southern Orange County were far less developed. Even the eastern part of the San Gabriel was still pretty empty.

The major null at night only affected the Glendale / Pasadena and northern foothills area, and noise levels were much lower so even there it was listenable.

It could be heard, but not well, in Western Riverside and San Bernardino counties, but the limit of the signal was really the metro area as it was back then.

@ Radioman and David :

Re possible reception of KHJ in the Northeast, the 60's AM dial (and of course the 50's dial) was a lot more DXer-accomodating. We back at Metro JFK Airport heard some really improbable things (such as KDAY Santa Monica at sunset, and KFBK 1530 Sacramento plus KYMN 1520 from Oregon overnights) when the conditions were favourable and the dial was clearer.
Now certainly, those were higher-power stations than KHJ is. But we did get a fair share of regionals from CA, too. 1460, 1480 and 1150 come to mind. 1380 KRKO from Washington was another gem.

Those instances were like being dealt a straight flush without wild cards, of course. Everything had to fall in place and, well, it helped somewhat if one was there to hear it. The likelihood of such conditions and celestial alignment happening in modern times is zilch. But considering what *used* to come in under those ideal circumstances, I don't think reception of things like KFRC, KSFO and KHJ so far east in those 'better' days can be dismissed. If a California station sent any signal east, it was there for framing.

Yep, compared to now, where it is a feat to get KOA in SC at night (and you have to null something like 5 other signals). Forget about KSL or a CA signal.

Yep, compared to now, where it is a feat to get KOA in SC at night (and you have to null something like 5 other signals). Forget about KSL or a CA signal.

Yes, every year at this time it was easy to hear KFI & KNX in the midwest right before sunrise. I haven't heard KFI in 5 years and KNX maybe once or twice in the last 3 years.

In Saint Bernard, OH in the daytime. It is a very weak signal from Richmond, IN. That is WHON.
In the nighttime. Yep, You've guessed it. Mixture.

In Northwest Arkansas -

Daytime - I may hear WKY, Oklahoma City, OK, and/or KWOC, Poplar Bluff, MO, in the afternoon

By Evening - I may hear WTAD, Quincy, IL

I heard an NPR station -- Possibly WLBL, Auburndale, WI - Wisconsin Public Radio - (First heard here on October 23 around 5:31 PM and around 6:01 PM CDT with NPR News)

Nighttime - WTAD, and/or KDET, Center, TX

A mix sometimes - Daytime/Evening/Nighttime

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom