• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Get this: Old Mark Simone infomercial currently on WABC with dead doctor

Amateur Hour at WABC radio, which is currently broadcasting an old nutrition infomercial hosted by Mark Simone, when he was working there but currently is at WOR and has been for some time Making matters worse, he interviewed Dr Alan Pressman, a chiropractor who died about 6 months ago!

Way to go WABC!

Amateur Hour at WABC radio, which is currently broadcasting an old nutrition infomercial hosted by Mark Simone, when he was working there but currently is at WOR and has been for some time Making matters worse, he interviewed Dr Alan Pressman, a chiropractor who died about 6 months ago!

Way to go WABC!

Why is this "Amateur Hour"? If the nutritional product maker that put up the money for the original paid interview program/sales pitch wants to pay WABC to run it again, then WABC runs it again. Nothing amateurish about it. It's a profitable way to blow off a low-listenership time slot that wouldn't otherwise attract enough advertising to support any other sort of programming. If the host of the ad now works elsewhere and the pseudo-doctor he was interviewing is now having his joints adjusted by earthworms, that's not WABC's concern at all.

"Dead Doctors Don't Lie" as another infomercial goes.

No, WABC isn't going to turn down getting paid for that half hour. A deceased Michael Landon's infomercial for "Where there's a will, there's an A" continued to run in the 90s.

Why is this "Amateur Hour"? If the nutritional product maker that put up the money for the original paid interview program/sales pitch wants to pay WABC to run it again, then WABC runs it again. Nothing amateurish about it. It's a profitable way to blow off a low-listenership time slot that wouldn't otherwise attract enough advertising to support any other sort of programming. If the host of the ad now works elsewhere and the pseudo-doctor he was interviewing is now having his joints adjusted by earthworms, that's not WABC's concern at all.

Whatever pays the bills, I suppose. It is sad, however, to think about how the erstwhile "most listened to station in the nation" has degenerated into such feebleness.

It is sad, however, to think about how the erstwhile "most listened to station in the nation" has degenerated into such feebleness.

Keep in mind that was 50 years ago. That's what happens after 50 years. No one stays young forever. That's why they're selling a nutritional supplement.

Keep in mind that was 50 years ago. That's what happens after 50 years. No one stays young forever. That's why they're selling a nutritional supplement.

Notfuhnuttin, but it was actually less than 40 years ago.

Notfuhnuttin, but it was actually less than 40 years ago.

Less than 40 years ago, WKTU topped WABC in the ratings, according to Rick Sklar's book:

"In October of 1978, WABC dropped almost two share points in a single rating book and lost its standing as the market ... to a new FM station, WKTU"

Less than 40 years ago, WKTU topped WABC in the ratings, according to Rick Sklar's book:

"In October of 1978, WABC dropped almost two share points in a single rating book and lost its standing as the market ... to a new FM station, WKTU"

A little quick arithmetic reveals that WABC still topped the ratings just before that—less than 40 years ago.

No, WABC isn't going to turn down getting paid for that half hour. A deceased Michael Landon's infomercial for "Where there's a will, there's an A" continued to run in the 90s.

And that 120 Music Masterpieces ad featuring English actor John Williams was still running a decade after Williams' death.

A little quick arithmetic reveals that WABC still topped the ratings just before that—less than 40 years ago.

OK fine. As I said, no one stays young forever. WABC was already getting its butt kicked less than 40 years ago. After 40 years of butt kicking, you might need a nutritional supplement. Is that better? My point is the current situation at WABC didn't happen overnight.

Ironic, a chiropractor pushing nutritional supplements drops dead at the relatively young age of 74

The people who are most fondly remembered are not necessarily those who made the most money but those who created something worthwhile, who cared about quality, about people and about doing the right thing.

Of course WABC is trying to save what bottom line it has left by ignoring any pretense of good programming but isn't there more to life?

"... Cause money talks and nobody walks...." To quote a line from a late night MusicRadio WABC live read commercial for a clothing store "on Rt 22 in Somerville, New Jersey." Can't remember the name of the store, but I remember the product, the slug line and listening to Seventy Seven, WABC as I was driving a delivery truck on the New York State Thruway 200 miles away. Wait... Or was it Plainfield?

"... Cause money talks and nobody walks...." To quote a line from a late night MusicRadio WABC live read commercial for a clothing store "on Rt 22 in Somerville, New Jersey." Can't remember the name of the store, but I remember the product, the slug line and listening to Seventy Seven, WABC as I was driving a delivery truck on the New York State Thruway 200 miles away. Wait... Or was it Plainfield?

It was Denison's Men's Clothiers, Route 22, Union, New Jersey.

I rest my case.

What case? You made a completely illogical post. Radio stations aren't people. They are things. I doubt anyone at the station seeks to have it "fondly remembered." And what is "good programming" is completely subjective. There is no case to be made. You either listen or you don't. Case closed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom