We're Number 12! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: We're Number 12!

  1. #11
    [QUOTE=Roddybob;6172921]Nielsen says we're number 12!

    http://www.insideradio.com/free/seat...7cff0b5ca.html[/QUOTE

    replied to wrong post
    Last edited by seatownmedia; 10-13-2017 at 10:33 PM. Reason: replied to wrong post

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by KXA View Post
    You haven't noticed all of the people moving here? I see a lot of out of state license plates on a daily basis.
    Of course, but other markets right around the same ranking are also growing. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Phoenix, Minneapolis, San Diego. So Seattle being right behind Detroit picks up a point. So does Portland. It is great that Seattle has increased in rank, but it still competes with other growing areas and could go backwards in the next 5-10 years through no fault of their own.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    5,777
    But I would argue Seattle is also the fastest growing of all these areas. And if the economy miraculously doesn't blow up, we'll probably be in Top 10 in 5-10 years.
    The president of Puerto Rico really sucks.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    8,880
    Fastest growing in housing prices as well...my family's old home in the Bothell area has never been this high before. Almost half a million in a neighborhood that used to be ~$175-200K, 15 years ago.
    742 AM's in the log, 614 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 93.9 KSOU Sioux Center, IA; 8/13/17
    Last New AM Log: 1450 KQDI Great Falls, MT; 10/9/17

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    But I would argue Seattle is also the fastest growing of all these areas. And if the economy miraculously doesn't blow up, we'll probably be in Top 10 in 5-10 years.
    Even if it blows up, people don't leave. Where are they going to go? North Dakota, perhaps? During the Great Recession, Seattle still grew.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    5,777
    I didn't say people would leave, but growth may slow. Even during the last recession, we were still growing because of our tech base. But the economy on a national level is still very fragile and that affects us as well.
    The president of Puerto Rico really sucks.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    I didn't say people would leave, but growth may slow. Even during the last recession, we were still growing because of our tech base. But the economy on a national level is still very fragile and that affects us as well.
    It's not just the tech base. The ports of Seattle and Tacoma are vital to US - Asian trade. Something cities in the midsections of the country don't have in their favor as much during downturns.

    I personally don't see the Seattle metro ever not growing. It's been steadily growing since the late 1970's, and it hasn't stopped. Plus, everybody wants to live here because of the lack of fiercely cold winters, the scenery, etc.

    Not debating your point, just adding to it.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by boombox4 View Post
    It's not just the tech base. The ports of Seattle and Tacoma are vital to US - Asian trade. Something cities in the midsections of the country don't have in their favor as much during downturns.
    I was in the Seattle area a couple weeks ago and drove around Alki Blvd to the West Seattle Bridge (lunch at Spuds). I was shocked to see how barren the Port of Seattle Terminal 5 and 6 container yards that KJR's transmitter site used to reside on. Completely empty, and the container cranes idle with no ships in Port. Years ago, when the Port anticipated so much growth that they basically drove KJR out. Ironically right after KJR moved, container business was fleeing Seattle for Tacoma. The Port of Seattle had pissed off the large container companies so much and Tacoma been so accommodating, that it appears Seattle is really suffering the long lasting impact of their poor management.

    Quote Originally Posted by boombox4 View Post
    I personally don't see the Seattle metro ever not growing. It's been steadily growing since the late 1970's, and it hasn't stopped. Plus, everybody wants to live here because of the lack of fiercely cold winters, the scenery, etc.
    And don't forget the legalization of pot, City sponsored "opiate-use safe housing", and Seattle Police looking the other way when it comes to drug law enforcement.

    Yeah, that's the kind of people you want to attract to your city.

  9. #19
    Driving under the west Seattle bridge and via duct is scary.

  10. #20
    I hear you on your points, KellyA, especially concerning Seattle proper, but with my comments I have been referring to the metro as a whole: Seattle-Tacoma-Everett-Kitsap -- the entire area. We've doubled in population since 1980.

    RE: Tacoma: Last Fall I had the opportunity to drive around the Tacoma tideflats -- I was amazed at the vacant industrial land in the area. Room to grow.

    I would wager, however, that most of the people who come to this metro from other areas of the country, or the rest of the world for that matter, aren't homeless or drug users. On that point we differ.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us